Help plan family vacation to Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be the Super Chomak in Akumal. You really do need to take out a second on your house to shop there. Akumal is a place that seems to never change. A lot of it is that the powers that be simply don't want any new competition. I haven't seen a new shop/restaurant opened in the last 10 years.

Make a comprehensive list of what you need and do your shopping in PDC. Both the Mega and Walmart are good places. If you drink beer, go for the cans since there a fairly hefty deposit on the bottles and the local don't make it easy to return them.

A BIG thumbs up for El Fogon! I like places filled with locals where not much English is spoken and El Fogon fits the bill.

I fully agree. We boycot those places, and tell others to do the same. All places that advertise captive animals are a big NO for us.

Akumal is a weird place. The lagoon has become far too busy, where by now many turtles are chased away by tourists. Hardly restaurants, and the ones there are way too expensive. We avoid the place if at all possible

Would u guys rent a car or just stick with taxis for the airport and what running around we plsn on

Transfers from the airport can be expensive once you go south of PDC. In the past we have found that you can rent a car with full insurance for 4 days at about the same price of rt transfers to Akumal.

The number of people, the length of stay, where you are staying, where you are planning to visit on day trips will all have major impacts on your choices. For my time and money, I would book a private transfer from the airport. Tell the driver that you want to stop at a grocery store on your way down. One of the big plus' is that you can talk with him/her about the local "rules of the road". Trust me, they are a bit different than those we are used to.

Be certain to visit The Fish Spa in PDC: fun for the entire family! Also Alux cave restaurant in Playa is spectacular.

To have food, wine, beverages, etc. delivered to your condo/villa just prior to your arrival, contact Riviera Maya Groceries. So convenient! Quite wonderful to be nibbling cheese & sipping wine on the patio just minutes after checking in, instead of having to run out to the grocery store.

Crococun Zoo & the Botanical Gardens are very enjoyable outings, along with snorkeling in the many cool, clear cenotes. Love Hidden Worlds especially. Also The Jungle Place, a rescue sanctuary for spider monkeys.

Please avoid the captive dolphin programs entirely, as they are incredibly cruel to this sentient species. Snorkel with the wild sea turtles in Akumal instead. I started taking my niece there when she was just 3 years old & she adored it, & now is studying marine biology in college. Night snorkeling in Akumal Bay or in Half Moon Bay is also terrific; I love seeing the lavender Carribean reef octopi out hunting.

Looking into car rentals and private transfers who do you guys reccommend

Looking into car rentals and private transfers who do you guys reccommend

I usually go with American Car Rental only because they include the insurance in the price which saves me a bit of a headache and hassle.

www.cancunrentacar.com/

I use Cancun Rent a Car. They are right on the highway by the airport. Next to Courtyard Marriott. I have used them many times and always had good service. They will pick you up at the airport and take you back after you turn the car in. I had had early morning flights before and have turned the car in the afternoon before and stayed at the Marriott. The Marriott has a free airport shuttle.

I always use AVIS. Quick van transport from Cancun airport to rental office, timely & professional service at the desk, cars always ready to go, clean & in excellent condition, no-hassle returns, courteous & helpful van drivers.

Back
Top Bottom