Help picking out a rig - specific criteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48543&item=3867980452&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Found an ebay listing of a 5050. Where else could I find a new 5050 besides ebay?

Also, if i got the 5050 with the ikelite housing and a ds-125, what WA and macro lens manufacturer should i be looking at? OR, should I just get a 5060? Both ways, what lenses are good for WA and macro for the ikelite that would work with the 5050 and the 5060 (understanding that each may have it's own lens benefits). And can these lenses fit ont he cameras themselves for dry shooting?? THANKS GUYS.

bsvihrajr:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48543&item=3867980452&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Found an ebay listing of a 5050. Where else could I find a new 5050 besides ebay?

Also, if i got the 5050 with the ikelite housing and a ds-125, what WA and macro lens manufacturer should i be looking at? OR, should I just get a 5060? Both ways, what lenses are good for WA and macro for the ikelite that would work with the 5050 and the 5060 (understanding that each may have it's own lens benefits). And can these lenses fit ont he cameras themselves for dry shooting?? THANKS GUYS.

OlympusAmerica also sells refurbished 5050s and I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the refurbished units https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/emp.asp?category=7&sub_category=22 . With the 5050/Ikelite housing combo, the lenses I use are an Inon WAL (no dome port but it is available) and I also have an Inon Macro lens. You can stack the Inon macros to get even more magnification. Niether of the lenses can be used topside because the water acts as an additional optical element (at least that is true for the WAL, I just got the macro so I am not positive). I understand that Olympus may also have some optional lenses.

There are topside WAL and telephoto lenses available for the 5050.

As far as the 5050 v. 5060 choice. On my web site there is a comparison of the two (written by someone else and it is in the Resources for Photographers Section) . When I bought mine, I made the choice to get the 5050. If I remember correctly, the author of the comparison chose the 5060. IMHO, the choice comes down to your personal preferences.

Thanks for the link. I didn't think the 5050 refurb would cost that much. (580$US).

I did a price quote from Adorama and got:

Title: Olympus C-5060 Wide Angle Zoom Point and Shoot Digital Camera, 5.1 Megapixel, 4x Wide Angle Optical, 3.5x Digital Zoom
Price: $459.95

Would anyone object to buying a camera from that place?

If not, then I'm looking at the 5060 being significantly cheaper.

Looking at the comparison you showed me I found my first question:

5050 Housings

- Both Ike and Oly acccept external wet mount lenses that can be changed during the dive. These lenses, though more convenient, don't have quite as good optical characteristics as dry lenses.

Does that mean I can get a 5050, stick it in an Ikelite housing, wet swap lenses and have TTL?

It also said it's not as good as dry lenses, so does that mean dry mounted (u/w) or dry above water lenses.

How much better is the fast f1.8 lens on the 5050? I'm looking to do more WA shots of people and wrecks, in both NJ and tropics.

bsvihrajr:
I did a price quote from Adorama and got:

Title: Olympus C-5060 Wide Angle Zoom Point and Shoot Digital Camera, 5.1 Megapixel, 4x Wide Angle Optical, 3.5x Digital Zoom
Price: $459.95

Would anyone object to buying a camera from that place?

Adorama is fine. I have purchased from them and they are reliable. You might also check buydig.com.

bsvihrajr:
Looking at the comparison you showed me I found my first question:

5050 Housings

- Both Ike and Oly acccept external wet mount lenses that can be changed during the dive. These lenses, though more convenient, don't have quite as good optical characteristics as dry lenses.

Does that mean I can get a 5050, stick it in an Ikelite housing, wet swap lenses and have TTL?

Yes. That is how I do it.

bsvihrajr:
It also said it's not as good as dry lenses, so does that mean dry mounted (u/w) or dry above water lenses.

How much better is the fast f1.8 lens on the 5050? I'm looking to do more WA shots of people and wrecks, in both NJ and tropics.

Please don't take this wrong. At this point you are way past my skill level, if there is a significant quality difference between the two underwater, you are a much better photographer than I am and probably should get a DSLR. Right now, the only thing holding me back is my skill not my equipment (with the exception of shutter lag). It is a matter of options at this point. The dry mount may be slightly better but you lose the ability to change during the dive. I have seen fabulous photos taken with both the 5050 and the 5060.

Are there any examples of pictures taken with a 5050 vs a 5060?

Would having the 5060 take the place of a 5050+WA Inon lens?

And, is there EVER any reason why having a stock WA lens be bad?

Sorry for the 100 questions, I'm just trying to get educated before an expensive buy. Thanks.

bsvihrajr:
Are there any examples of pictures taken with a 5050 vs a 5060?

Would having the 5060 take the place of a 5050+WA Inon lens?

And, is there EVER any reason why having a stock WA lens be bad?

Sorry for the 100 questions, I'm just trying to get educated before an expensive buy. Thanks.

My suggestion at this point is to go over to the digitaldiver.net show off board and look through the photos there. At the bottom, the photographer often lists their equipment so you can get a sense of any differences between the 5050 and 5060. You can also do a search.

My understanding on the angle of coverage for the 5060 without a WAL is that it is 56 degrees. The 5050 with the WAL is 100 degrees if I remember correctly. Look at Splashdown Divers for some very specific information.

I don't know that I understand your question about a "stock" wide angle lens.

I'll check out those galleries, thanks.

As far as the other question, I was wondering if having a 5060 shoot semi-wide angle shots without a WA lens would ever be a problem. I guess I'm wondering if it's ever better to have a non-wide angle shot needed, like the 5050 can provide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom