Help picking out a rig - specific criteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
Warren...where did you get the 2500's? What brand?

They are Energizers, 2500 mAH NiMH. I was pretty surprised since the highest ones I had seen prior were my Sanyo 2300s. I got them at Fry's in Saratoga, CA last month. They had 2 packs for $8. Not bad at $4.00 per battery.

bsvihrajr:
I heard the PT housings tend to leak and whatnot. Can I swap lenses under water with the Ikelite housing?

Also, what powers a 5050, regular batteries or a l-ion rechargable?

Would there be any reasons to get the 5050 rather than the 5060? Cna I still get a new 5050?

You *might* be able to find a new 5050, but I beleive the 5050 was discontinued in early 2004.

The 5050 has a 35-105mm (eq) lens that is fast at f1.8 at the wide end.

The 5060 has a 27mm -110mm lens which while a bit slower (f2.8) provides much wider coverage.

Look around online for comparisons on the 5050-5060 if you want to compare feature by feature. The 5060 is basically a 5050 with different optics, but I believe the made some other minor modifications as well.

Ron

Thanks for the help guys, few more things.

Some mentioned the 7070 and 8080. In the SLR world, someone mentioned the D70. I'm looking to "buy once" so I'm willing to up the max price if I know I'm going to get the right setup.

I also heard the wide angle cameras like the 5060 have distortion because they are WA. Is the 7070 and 8080 WA also?

Can anyone explain ports and lenses per different housings? What determines dry vs. wet swapping of lenses?

dbh:
Dee,

Thomas carries the 2500 Energizers.

Dave

I found them today. I wasn't aware that 2500's were out yet. I like the PowerX that I use now and will probably stay with that brand.

bsvihrajr:

Some mentioned the 7070 and 8080. In the SLR world, someone mentioned the D70. I'm looking to "buy once" so I'm willing to up the max price if I know I'm going to get the right setup.

I also heard the wide angle cameras like the 5060 have distortion because they are WA. Is the 7070 and 8080 WA also?

Can anyone explain ports and lenses per different housings? What determines dry vs. wet swapping of lenses?

The 7070 is brand new so I don't think many people have even seen one outside of pictures. Olympus will have a housing for it. I think Ike will have one very quickly. My understanding is that the 7070 and 8080 are similar to the 5060 in terms of interchangability of lenses. The 5050 allows wet swapping of lenses meaning I can put on my WAL or macro underwater and take it off to take a different photo.

The D70 is a sweet camera but right now, I am not aware of any true TTL solution for it. Ike is rumored to be working on it and it should be out in the second quarter. The D70 with lenses, body, ports housing, and strobes (if you want to do it justice) will run you SIGNIFICANTLY more than $2,000. Ikelite does have TTL solutions for the Canon Rebel and 20D. (TTL is much debated. Many swear by it and others swear AT it.)

On my web page on the left is a link for Resources for Photographers. On that page, is a detailed comparison of the 5050 vs. 5060. There are also some very good tutorials written by various people for settings for the 5050/5060/8080.

As a professional photographer, or semi-pro, I can tell you that if you start playing the this is better than that, but than this is even better game, it's hard. Digital has made it more so.

So here R some prices.

D70 - This is a BOTTOM of the line SLR, BUT, it is awesome, and this is most UW photographers DREAM setup. Plan on spending 3K or more when it's said and done depending upon your flash solution.

High end PnS - The 8080 is a NICE camera. It does NOT have the SLR speed, but the optics are MUCH better than the 5050/5060 or even likely the 7070. Why, it's pro level SLR glass, and MUCH bigger. So what do you pay, and what does it get you? Well IMO if you have the bucks go with the 8080. However underwater, you are hardly taking photo's of buildings so WA distortion is really not much of an issue.

Keep in mind that the 5050 is a good shooting camera, so this slippery slope does not guarentee GREAT images. Also keep in mind that equipment, while very important in photography does NOT make one a good photographer.

Also a good strobe or strobes can make a HUGE difference in ANY photography that is NOT done in natrual light. One thing that the DSLR solution does that many may not be aware of is the ability to shoot VERY fast lenses, with higher ISO's. And there is the crux of the bisquet, GREAT high ISO shooting combined with fast focus and fast lenses make a difference in UW shooting. BUT it comes at a price.

I promised prices, so from what I've seen the 8080 will run you 1K without strobes, the 5060 will run you $700 without stobes. These are prices including the Olympus housing. If you want Ikelite, then add several hunderd. The D70 is about $1200 with a good, but low Nikon glass. I have lenses that run $2K, and for UW photopgraphy, one could spend a LOT of glass. For example, the 17-35mm AFS 2.8 runs over $1500., so with DSLR glass you can spend a fortune.

Ron

bsvihrajr:

RonFrank:
Keep in mind that the 5050 is a good shooting camera, so this slippery slope does not guarentee GREAT images. Also keep in mind that equipment, while very important in photography does NOT make one a good photographer.

Ron

Well said Ron. I test shot a D70 in an Aquatica housing last month. The biggest difference I saw was fewer fish butts. I have a LOT of really bad garibaldi pictures taken with the 5050 and on one dive with the D70 I got a couple I liked (composition still needed work though). On other types of shots, I did not notice as much of a difference.

Lots of great information, I appreciate the help.

I have decided that, at this point I'm NOT going SLR. Can't afford it.

So I'm looking to get a 5000 series then. If I get Ikelite housing, I get TTL, but I don't get wet swaping for lenes?

Is there a HIGH end TTL strobe I can get that I can reuse if I choose SLR in the future?

bsvihrajr:
So I'm looking to get a 5000 series then. If I get Ikelite housing, I get TTL, but I don't get wet swaping for lenes?

Is there a HIGH end TTL strobe I can get that I can reuse if I choose SLR in the future?

If you go with the 5050, you DO get wet mate lenses. At the risk of sounding like a salesperson for Ikelite (which I am not), you might look at the Ike DS-125. It is a very good strobe and should serve you well if you upgrade to a DSLR. The Ikelite strobes are the only ones that I know of that give you true TTL with the Ikelite housing. Digitaldiver.net has a strobe database that you might look at. Also, I have had good experience with Ryan at Reef Photo & Video (link on my web site).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom