Help! Packing for Coz trip and need info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back and a 3 mil was perfect. One diver dove a 3-4-5 mil and one diver dove a 3 mil shorty. Never once did we get cold to include a dive a Devils Throat to 132'. have fun and you might want to use Prog'ee Dive Shop.

I am leaving for Cozumel the day after tomorrow, and am bringing a 1mm/2mm shorty and a 3mm full length suit. I have worn the shorty in the Mayan Riviera in the past (including ceynotes) and was quite comfortable, but those were summer dives (July/Aug). Planning on using the 3mm suit most of the time this trip. I may layer if needed, but not expecting to. I have a fairly high cold tolerance though...

I really appreciate all the comments and updates. I've packed my Sharkskin suit, a 3 mm hooded vest, and a 2mm long-sleeved top. I put on "long underwear" first and then layer over it. I might throw in my 3mm neoprene wetsuit if it doesn't put me over 50 lbs. Ugh....

We are leaving for Coz in two days and I'm in the process of packing. I've looked at water temps on different websites but would like to know what temp you're getting at in the 60-80' range. Not surface temp...bottom temp. If you've been diving within the last few days, what water temp are you getting on your computer in the depth stated above? Thanks so much!

We found 79 to 81 Temps from 40 to 100 feet. I live in Oklahoma and have always dove in shorts and a t shirt. We dove Monday, the 6th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you pack your spare batteries in your checked bag when returning from cozumel. We just lost a big pack Tuesday.

Last week it was 79 - 80 F from the top to about 130' with minimal deviation along the column, which is typical for Cozumel, for this time of year. The currents that create Coz drift diving also mix the waters and lessen stratification. The average person finds a full 3MM comfortable while a diveaholic doing 4+ hours a day might find a core warmer helpful as they shed core temp over successive days. I am using a crushed out 3/2 (really about a 1.75 - 2MM) and finding myself getting cold about 60 minutes into a second dive. Looking for a 1MM torso skin as a core warmer for next Winter.

I just returned 3/4/17. The lowest temp my dc recorded for the entire 17 dives was 79 degrees. The average was 80.

Same for me (returned 3/4/17 as well). I went 125' at Columbia deep and still didn't get less than 79 on my DC. I dove in rash guards and was happy as a clam (I'm from Iowa and conditioned for cold) but it really is perfect there and 3mm is plenty. The dive masters wore shorties.

Have a great time!!

I do get cold easily. I just looked at my dive log for our January trip to Cayman Brac (ScubaBoard Surge was great!) and saw that the minimum water temps were 77-79 degrees. I was very cold after the second dive. I was kicking myself for not bringing my 3mm or my 5mm wetsuits. Lesson learned. I just added my 3mm to my suitcase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom