Help on Seaquest Diva LX weight distribution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdf

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my new Seaquest Diva LX. This is the first time using integrated weights and when I tried it out in the pool this weekend, I noticed that with all the weight (20lbs)in the surelock pockets, I felt front heavy. I had a very hard time turning on my back to look up at the surface. To make it more balanced, I had to put 8 lbs in the back trim pockets, but I am very uncomfortable having that much weight unditchable. I then went back to the weight belt, but this made the bc ride up past my waist and not so comfortable. Any suggestions?

jdf:
I just got my new Seaquest Diva LX. This is the first time using integrated weights and when I tried it out in the pool this weekend, I noticed that with all the weight (20lbs)in the surelock pockets, I felt front heavy. I had a very hard time turning on my back to look up at the surface. To make it more balanced, I had to put 8 lbs in the back trim pockets, but I am very uncomfortable having that much weight unditchable. I then went back to the weight belt, but this made the bc ride up past my waist and not so comfortable. Any suggestions?

You could attach a couple of kg to your tank (cam band), A couple in each pocket to keep it from riding up and put the rest on the weightbelt.

Are you sure you need 20lbs?

R..

I dive 20 lbs in the ocean (with a full 7mm suit) , and have always dove with 8 lbs unditchable in my back BCD pockets. If you're properly weighted (not over-weighted), dropping 60% of your weights should make you positive enough to easily swim up in an emergency.

What kind of suit are you wearing? What kind of tank are you using?

I am wearing a 7mm suit with a 5mm core warmer using an Aluminum 63. With a 7/5 hood, 5mm gloves and boots, I have lots of neoprene, but need it for California coast diving were the water temp is in the high 50s.

If it's taking 20 lbs in fresh water, you'll be using more weight in salt water, so I doubt that having just 8 unditchable lbs should pose a problem in an emergency. With a properly functioning BCD and that much neoprene in salt water, you should be able to swim up your rig to a point where you'll start to rocket unless you vent air from your BCD along the way.

Back
Top Bottom