Help on pairing Uwatec smart tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wausman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

Here is the story I bought a used uwatec smart tec computer computer battery at 95% and seems to work great but when I goto pair it with the transmitter just cant get it to pair. But when I am following the steps in the user manual what i am seeing on the computer and the book dont seem to match up so I am hoping it is something I am doing wrong.

In the user manual it says to

1. turn on the unit
2. select the tank symbol you wish to pair with certain transmitter. the selected tank symbol will flash. And here is where it is diffrent the only tank symbol that flashes is D tank 1 never flashes. And I can never select tank 1.

3.when tank symbol is flashing press tank button for 1 second until it stops flashing.

then it goes to say hold computer where it touches the transmitter and turn on the air. And it never tries to pair up with the transmitter. I tried changing transmitter battery did not help.

just hate to send it off to Uwatec if I am not doing something right. And since I bought it used LDS will charge $50 to look at it or even show me how to use it. which you cant blame them they have to eat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

Here is the story I bought a used uwatec smart tec computer computer battery at 95% and seems to work great but when I goto pair it with the transmitter just cant get it to pair. But when I am following the steps in the user manual what i am seeing on the computer and the book dont seem to match up so I am hoping it is something I am doing wrong.

In the user manual it says to

1. turn on the unit
2. select the tank symbol you wish to pair with certain transmitter. the selected tank symbol will flash. And here is where it is diffrent the only tank symbol that flashes is D tank 1 never flashes. And I can never select tank 1.

3.when tank symbol is flashing press tank button for 1 second until it stops flashing.

then it goes to say hold computer where it touches the transmitter and turn on the air. And it never tries to pair up with the transmitter. I tried changing transmitter battery did not help.

just hate to send it off to Uwatec if I am not doing something right. And since I bought it used LDS will charge $50 to look at it or even show me how to use it. which you cant blame them they have to eat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It sounds like you are already paired. The computer will not let you (re)pair a transmitter with which it has already paired.

The transmitter has a pressure switch that turns on the transmitter when you turn on the air. Turn on the computer, let it clear the self-test, and then turn on the air. If it is paired, the computer should show the air pressure in 15-20 seconds.

If the computer does not show the air pressure, you have a very good chance that your computer was paired with a different transmitter. You must delete that 1st transmitter if you wish to pair your transmitter as tank 1.

I assume you have the SmartTRAK software on your computer? (If not, the Uwatec / ScubaPro site has it for download.) You need an infrared adapter for your PC. From the software, you can go into the dive computer and delete whatever pairings exist.

Once you have deleted the pairing, you should be able to follow the book instructions to pair your dive computer and transmitter.

Uwatec Product Support Product support - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
Where the dropdown menu says "Instruction Manuals", select "Dive Computers and Instruments"
At the bottom is the software and downloads - you will find the SmartTRAK software there.

Did you see the info on page 14 of the manual to check if the computer is paired correctly?

How to check if transmitter and computer are paired correctly:
1. Switch on the computer manually (B and E)
2. To check the pairing of a certain tank symbol, press to select the tank
symbol. Confirm your choice by pressing for 1 second.
3. Move the computer into transmitting range of the transmitter.
4. Open the tank valve. The transmitter switches on automatically.
5. Check the display: Pairing has been carried out correctly if the pressure is
displayed within 5-10 seconds.

Check the assignment of all tanks and transmitters as well as the pairing of
transmitters and dive computer!

If the transmitter of a selected pressure tank has been correctly paired, but TEC
cannot receive the tank pressure, "- - -" will appear on the display. In that case,
check the position of transmitter and dive computer.

If the specific channel of transmission (i.e. tank) has not been paired, or if an
existing pairing has been deleted via SmartTRAK, the display will remain empty.
In that case, transmitter and computer must be paired again.

I do have the SmartTrak software installed. I went in and did find it paired to a transmitter and deleted it but still will not pair with transmitter. Will the smart tech connect to a air Z transmitter? I have another computer but it is a air Z.

No - the Air series transmitters have a blue case and are not compatible with the later model computers . . . so I've been told by ScubaPro. I suspect the air series used a proprietary bluetooth linkage instead of an IEEE standard.

Now that you have deleted the transmitter, can you choose tank 1?

If so, you need to make sure that the tank is OFF, and PURGE the regulator, and give the transmitter 15 seconds to turn itself off.

Now, start up your computer, go into pairing mode, and choose tank one. To prevent interference, Uwatec wants the computer and transmitter touching. Turn on the gas. Give them about 15 seconds. "pair" should start flashing. Does it? Does it flash and go to "fail"? What signs is it giving now?

when I first turn on the computer tank 1 is lit up but not blashing if I push the tank button the only other tank is D and it flashes but one never flashes. so When I hold the computer touching the transmitter nothing seems to happen. 1 time the 21% and tank symbol flashed 1 time and that was it.

when I first turn on the computer tank 1 is lit up but not blashing if I push the tank button the only other tank is D and it flashes but one never flashes. so When I hold the computer touching the transmitter nothing seems to happen. 1 time the 21% and tank symbol flashed 1 time and that was it.

Yes, when you first turn on the computer, tank one is lit but not flashing. That is normal. Let's go over the pairing procedure again. First, put your computer back on the SmartTrack software and be sure the transmitter pair is deleted. Please also be sure you are sending the settings back to the computer. Everything you are saying indicates that tank 1 is still paired with another transmitter.

Pairing procedure:
1. Shut the valve, depressurise the regulator and wait for 15 seconds.
This makes sure the transmitter turns itself off.
2. Switch on TEC (bridge contacts B and E). Select the tank symbol you wish to
pair with a certain transmitter by pressing <left top button>. Selected tank symbol will
flash. Does your tank 1 flash? If not, then the previous pairing still exists.Confirm the selection by pressing <left top button> for at least 1 second. Tank symbol stops flashing.

Tank symbol 2 can only be selected after tank symbol D has been assigned to a certain gas mixture. In other words, you must assign a transmitter to "D" (Deco) before you can pair up the tank 2 transmitter.
3. Move the dive computer and transmitter into the shown position. (attached)
Transmitter and dive computer must be in physical contact during the entire pairing procedure.
4. Open the tank valve. The transmitter briefly sends a pairing sequence to the computer. Wait - this is not immediate.
5. The dive computer shows a flashing <PAIr> shortly after the valve has been opened.
6. In order to confirm the pairing, the B and E contacts have to be bridged within 5 sec. A beep confirms the input and the <PAIr> display remains still. This is super important! Are you doing this with moist fingers?
7. "PAIr" disappears after approx. 10 sec.

In case of faulty pairing, the display <FAIL> appears instead of <PAIr>. In that
case, completely purge the regulator and repeat the pairing procedure. This is
only possible after at least 15 seconds.

Attachments

• SmartTEC xmtr pairing.JPG
    SmartTEC xmtr pairing.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 741
No - the Air series transmitters have a blue case and are not compatible with the later model computers . . .
That is correct info. The Smart Tec requires a black transmitter. The Smart Z uses the same transmitter as the Smart Tec, as does the Galileo, etc.

First off I want to thank you for your patience. And say I am usually really good with this sort of thing I work with computers all the time. But not much luck here.

Anyhow I went into smart track I see tank 1 tank 2 and tank D onall 3 the delete pair is greyed out. (The first time i came in here tank 1 was paired.) And yes when I make any changes I upload it back to the dive computer.

I am waiting 15 sec or more I understand that it gives the transmitter time to shut off i even removed reg from tank a couple times.

After I turn the computer on contacts B and E I see 21% tank 1 is lit but not flashing. I push the top left button and tank 2 or D will flash but never tank 1. If I have tank 1 or D flashing and hold down tank button for 1 sec it will select the other tank. Then I can go back and make tank 1 flash. Hope this makes sense.

First off I want to thank you for your patience. And say I am usually really good with this sort of thing I work with computers all the time. But not much luck here.

Anyhow I went into smart track I see tank 1 tank 2 and tank D onall 3 the delete pair is greyed out. (The first time i came in here tank 1 was paired.) And yes when I make any changes I upload it back to the dive computer.

I am waiting 15 sec or more I understand that it gives the transmitter time to shut off i even removed reg from tank a couple times.

After I turn the computer on contacts B and E I see 21% tank 1 is lit but not flashing. I push the top left button and tank 2 or D will flash but never tank 1. If I have tank 1 or D flashing and hold down tank button for 1 sec it will select the other tank. Then I can go back and make tank 1 flash. Hope this makes sense.

That's GOOD! Once you have tank 1 flashing, hold down the <left-top-button> for 1 second and the tank stops flashing. You may now continue with step 3 . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom