HELP ! Oceanic Geo 2.0 vs. Mares Smart vs. Cressi Giotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tokyodom

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need your collective help.

Am a recreational diver who gets to dive a couple of times a year. Did my nitrox certification a year ago and about to go on my first liveaboard trip so decided it's time to buy my first computer.

I have narrowed down the search to 3 possibles, all the similar price brackets ($250-300 on Leisurepro.com) but after all the research, my head is spinning and I am stuck in paralysis by analysis.

So, which would you recommend I get and why ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't know anything about these computers... and I expect you have decided on some features that they all have. That's fine.

Which ever you get be sure you know hope it works, take a DiveNav on-line course - Dive Computer Training you will see it simulated on a dive rather than trying to understand the manual or seeing some screen for the first time on a dive.

The Mares Smart isn't on the list of courses, so maybe that rules it out!

I was on a dive a week ago and a diver ended up with a 40min deco as they did not read their computer correctly!

I've had a Geo2 as backup for more than 4 years, just over 500 dives. Has performed flawlessly, battery change is a cinch. I've never used a Mares or Cressi computer but prefer the choice of the DSAT or Buhlmann algorithm from Oceanic over Mares RGBM or the Cressi hybrid Haldane/RGBM

Each would need a download cable if you intend on downloading your dives. Total price of each from LP would be Geo2 $315, Smart $350, Giotto $345. That's a really good price on the Geo2, usually the computer alone runs $400

Good luck

What features for each computer stand out for you? Any negatives for each model?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom