HELP!! Need Advice!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, one possible problem here was they didn't know you or your weaknesses and should have tried harder to find out, maybe started in the shallow end (but you were jumping in on another class for "practice" after having been through your pool sessions.) And you probably needed to volunteer more why you were there and any other information if they didn't ask. But I don't know that it's unreasonable to ask someone who has already been through all their pool sessions and is there to work on skills (assuming they knew that), to practice a mask clear?

It does sound like you need more practice in the pool before going to open water. Nothing at all wrong with that, many people do (and many don't get it.) You made a largish mistake while performing one of the most basic and important skills, then paniced when things went wrong - understandable, but not a good thing. Panic also doesn't allow you a clear view of what is going on at the time. I really can't guess from your description if the person in the pool with you actually did anything wrong, or not. I suspect they might have a different take on it, and were trying their best to help you and may have been doing the right things for the situation - but just didn't have the right "bedside manor" for you, so to speak. It does sound like they were right on top of you watching and were there the moment something went south, so that is actually a good thing. If you were on a checkout dive, and something went wrong and you started shooting to the surface, would someone try to stop you or slow you down? - yes quite probably as they should.

Keep working on it. If you go to another pool session with these instructors/DMs talk to them about this. If you're really not comfortable with them see if there is a session with different instructors you can attend - and talk to them. Pay for a private session if you need, one private session with the right instructor might make a world of difference for you.

You are a new diver (or yet to be diver! :D). New divers make mistakes.

I'm not an instructor, so I'm not sure if what he did was part of his training. However I think I would have handled it differently.

You need to work on your skills, and I applaud your decision to go to the pool.

One thing to consider is that if you are at depth, going to the surface is not a good idea. So in one respect the instructor or DM was right. You need to learn to deal with problems at depth. Coughing is not a big deal. You need to get to the point where if you choke UW, you just deal with it!

I have watched divers puke at depth! :shakehead: Keep in mind your reg is your life. Regardless of if you cough, choke, puke or laugh, you need to keep breathing, and keep that reg in your mouth. The exception is when you switch to an alternate air source, and then you need to keep that in your mouth! :D

Don't be discouraged. Just realize that while the instructor could have been more PC, they are there to help you. His reaction while difficult for you, was not wrong. You are in the pool to make mistakes, and he is there to help you.

Work on skills. Don't ever think they are not important just because you don't use them much. I know too many OW students that have mask clearing issues, and they get by without fixing it. However this is important because it's not one issue that can kill you, it's a series of events that generally lead to panic, and sometimes death. Failure to clear a mask, or loosing a mask is often one of the first steps on the way to a very bad outcome.

Hi Sassalin, and welcome to the underwater lunatic's asylum!

One exercise you could do next time you're in the pool is swim ON THE SURFACE with a snorkel in your mouth and the mask ON YOUR FOREHEAD!
Do this for a few lengths of the pool and you will train your subconscious to handle the "water in your nose while breathing with your mouth".

Practise until comfortable.

Next time you have some water in your mask you will automatically continue breathing from your reg with no stress involved.
You will be amazed at how quick you will progress once this, very common, "fear factor" is brought under control.

Hope to see you posting next year with 50-99 dives in your profile!!

Best of Irish luck to you,

Seadeuce

Don't give up, but see if you can hire yourself a one on one teacher for a few pool sessions. You'll feel less stressed, have less distractions and if you've sat down with your prospective instructor beforehand and interviewed them a bit,
you'll know if they're likely to be patient and sensitive.

It may cost $75 or so per session but it may keep you from giving up and get you feeling sure enough of your skills to enjoy and dive your vacation safely. If you like your original instructor and think they'd be even "more perfect" one on one then your choice might be easy.

At this point you aren't ready for deeper open water diving, for sure. With some patient
mentoring/instruction and practice you may be ready in time. Remember also, that you can limit your vacation dives to 20-30ft. and not go as deep as the rest of the "group", etc.

And finally, YES! Definitely get yourself a mask that fits you properly. This is very basic but also very very important. Even if you don't freak when it starts leaking/flooding, it's a major annoyance and eats up the majority of your dive time and air.
Do searches for mask fit threads, see if you can try some in the water before buying, etc.
If you buy nothing else before a dive vacation where you'll rent everything else, buy your own mask and maybe even a spare. It may seem logical to get a purging mask but as a beginner you'll need to be able to easily hold your nose closed to clear your ears on descent and those purge valves make that harder in most cases and....they eventually leak.

Good luck. Please don't give up. The "hey girl" instructor sounds like a jerk. There are better, nicer ones available. This is a beautiful and magical pastime once you feel more confident and comfortable and it would be a shame to miss out on it.
Last but not least, don't assume that because you're a woman that the "instructor of your dreams" will be a woman. I've met some who have no patience and are as tactless and fear inspiring as the guy you've told us about. Ask around and see who friends have liked and ask them why they did.

It takes most folks 50 to 100 dives before they feel really comfortable and can anticipate what needs to be done so don't be too hard on yourself.

Let us know how it works out.

I don't know how many 'lung expansion' injuries have occurred in swimming pools - I'm guessing not many. There was very good advice in the previos post. The investment in a proper fitting mask (and snorkel and fins as well) will serve you for years to come. If, heaven forbid, SCUBA is not for you, then at least you have the gear for snokeling. Don't let this bad experience deter you - have a great vacation.

I don't know how many 'lung expansion' injuries have occurred in swimming pools - I'm guessing not many. There was very good advice in the previos post. The investment in a proper fitting mask (and snorkel and fins as well) will serve you for years to come. If, heaven forbid, SCUBA is not for you, then at least you have the gear for snokeling. Don't let this bad experience deter you - have a great vacation.

Here's a thread on one........

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...626-breaking-news-alabama-student-drowns.html

Welcome sassalin.

As a new diver in the pool, no one should be trying to "teach you a lesson" by holding you underwater. Yes, it is true that panic and rapid ascents can lead to barotrauma and decompression illness, but in the pool there is no excuse for holding you underwater.

In my opinion, the proper course of action would have been to meet you at the surface and find out what happened. Then, move you to tha shallow part of the pool to work on mask drills.

It doesn't matter what the instructor's would say. I don't care what the instructor's side is. No one should ever be grabbing you or your equipment underwater, period.

Find a new instructor.

Your not serious, are you?

This is not a likely scenario, I admit. But am I serious? Absolutely.
I've seen more than one "shop war", and it can indeed get ugly. Some instructors carry the "loyalty" theme to an extreme that includes alienating anyone associated with the "them" shop. Unprofessional? Yup. Unwise? It's certainly not a way to win over new clients. But does it happen? I say again...absolutely.

Here's a thought for you, all instructors, DM's, as people in general are not going to act in the same manner and you must be assertive if you feel they are not looking out for your best interests. As an example. My wife and I got certified in Palm Bch Florida in 1985. We went on a dive boat for our very first dive right after being certified. I told the crew we just finished certification yesterday and sometimes had a problem clearing my ears. As a new diver I assumed they would do what was right for our experience. The very first dive was on a 90 fsw wreck in Palm Beach Florida. The group was to drop in the water and drift into the wreck. We'll the current was very strong and I couldn't clear my ears fast enough and only got to 40fsw as I was passing the wreck. I surfaced and luckily someone spotted from the boat. They put me on the dive ball and I went down the line by hand to find my wife and DM. Many things were wrong with this dive on the crews part. I should've asked more about the conditions, current, etc before comitting to the dive. The point is make sure you are comfortable with the conditions before the dive and try to assess the quality of the dive crew you are with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom