Help me to understand what happened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latenight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Group of us (6 recreational divers) did PSS Decompression procedures and PSS Accelerated decompression course this July. Two of us are sidemount divers that are feeling comfortable diving in SM configuration (50+ dives prior to tech course). Others are intermediate recreational divers that used tech configuration for the first time during course, so that fact made it more difficult for them.

We were doing our planned course dive which was 20 min. @ 40 meters with planned decompression using EAN 50 that we would switch to @ 21 meters.

When doing switch to EAN 50, one of the guys signaled that he has problems and is not ok. He went in a mild state of panic, but instructor managed to calm him down. Finally he made switch to EAN 50, did his decompression and finished the dive successfully.

At the debriefing he informed us that he felt convulsions when he switched to EAN 50 and couldn't breathe normally. We all assigned that to mild panic because he is a diver who is somehow pushing himself too hard and his skill level is not following.

Next day our planned dive was 20 minutes @ 50 meters using air in our doubles, and again EAN 50 for decompression.

When switching to EAN 50, he again signaled that he has problems, but now he wasn't panicking, just clearly signaling problem. Again, instructor managed to fix things and he finished his dive. At the debriefing, he basically told us story from day before. This time instructor stated that probable cause is bad stage regulator which could give him harder WOB. He gave him other regulator to try on next planned dive, which was shallow dive (15 m max) aimed only at practicing skills.

On that shallow dive, he managed to switch his regulator without any issue and everything was fine, but i am not satisfied with that solution because he was already practicing switching to stage regulator prior to first dive and using "bad" regulator and also everything went fine.

Anybody with similar experience? What could be other causes?

Hi,

Group of us (6 recreational divers) did PSS Decompression procedures and PSS Accelerated decompression course this July. Two of us are sidemount divers that are feeling comfortable diving in SM configuration (50+ dives prior to tech course). Others are intermediate recreational divers that used tech configuration for the first time during course, so that fact made it more difficult for them.

We were doing our planned course dive which was 20 min. @ 40 meters with planned decompression using EAN 50 that we would switch to @ 21 meters.

When doing switch to EAN 50, one of the guys signaled that he has problems and is not ok. He went in a mild state of panic, but instructor managed to calm him down. Finally he made switch to EAN 50, did his decompression and finished the dive successfully.

At the debriefing he informed us that he felt convulsions when he switched to EAN 50 and couldn't breathe normally. We all assigned that to mild panic because he is a diver who is somehow pushing himself too hard and his skill level is not following.

Next day our planned dive was 20 minutes @ 50 meters using air in our doubles, and again EAN 50 for decompression.

When switching to EAN 50, he again signaled that he has problems, but now he wasn't panicking, just clearly signaling problem. Again, instructor managed to fix things and he finished his dive. At the debriefing, he basically told us story from day before. This time instructor stated that probable cause is bad stage regulator which could give him harder WOB. He gave him other regulator to try on next planned dive, which was shallow dive (15 m max) aimed only at practicing skills.

On that shallow dive, he managed to switch his regulator without any issue and everything was fine, but i am not satisfied with that solution because he was already practicing switching to stage regulator prior to first dive and using "bad" regulator and also everything went fine.

Was the 70’ bottle gas analyzed that day?

Hi,

I would guess pure anxiety. Some of technical diving is in the head. Being committed to stops is a slightly claustrophobic feeling, your choices are limited but there is not obvious physical barrier. Also I am assume there was a lot of coverage of oxygen toxicity and maybe not enough emphasis that it depends on time as well as depth/ppO2?

For sure I have arrived on the bottom on a course dive and thought, “You know what, if I went up NOW I’d not have to stop.”

Was this 20minutes at 40m the first deco dive this person had done? Was there any pressure to get them on the course?

Well i dont know of any ox tox symptoms that resolve by calming down.
I would guess anxiety, coupled with a wet breathing regulator.

It would not be oxygen toxicity at that point, even if the cylinder had pure O2. It doesn't happen instantly.

Here is a guess. It is possible that on the switch he did not clear the regulator as well as he should and inhaled a bit of water. That could cause something like the effect described.

Sure, there could have been an equipment issue, but It sounds like the diver in question was having a panic attack. New equipment configuration (that alone could cause some apprehension or anxiety) plus...from the sound of the OP...the diver was well outside of their experience level and comfort zone.

I would guess pure anxiety. Some of technical diving is in the head. Being committed to stops is a slightly claustrophobic feeling, your choices are limited but there is not obvious physical barrier. Also I am assume there was a lot of coverage of oxygen toxicity and maybe not enough emphasis that it depends on time as well as depth/ppO2?

I think that this was covered pretty good during the course.

For sure I have arrived on the bottom on a course dive and thought, “You know what, if I went up NOW I’d not have to stop.”

Was this 20minutes at 40m the first deco dive this person had done? Was there any pressure to get them on the course?

Yes, it was his first deco dive diving in configuration that was new to him so his anxiety levels were for sure elevated. However, on his second dive he didn't display any signs of panic, just signaling he has problem.

Yes, it was his first deco dive diving in configuration that was new to him
Had he ever done more than 10 minutes of stops?

That is quite a big deco obligation for a first timer.
The course can say what it likes, it can take a long time to never for people to be relaxed about this. It is not a rational thing.

I'm guessing anxiety but...
Has anyone else tried this dubious or questionable regulator - just on a practice dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom