Help me to avoid Jamaica!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about Cocoview resort, Roatan? Welcome to CoCo View Resort
Lots of good diving and lots of topside activities! It would meet your budget, its all inclusive (except for the topside excursions), tropical and exotic. That would be my first choice.

Bonaire is awesome but not alot of topside activity as everyone dives and is in bed early (yes, there are a few things but life revolves around the awesome diving). Curacao would be better choice. Cozumel might fit your needs also and is cheaper than the other two.

Stay away from Jamaica if you can.

It is due to poor management! Not numbers! Cayman has done a great job balancing both as well as Cozumel!

Are you kidding me?!! I didn't even mention the countries I was talking about because I knew the fanatic supporters will argue until their beloved location of choice (wherever that may be) is nothing but a dead mound of rubble. hmmm... interesting that it was that obvious where I was talking about?????
Have you heard of global warming? You think that has nothing to do with numbers? Do some research. Watch the documentaries. I just watched one that was talking about the Mayan and the extensive development, and the outdated 70's technology waste management system allowing pollution to seep into the cenotes, which then runs straight into the ocean. They tests show deterioration of the reefs in that area (and Cancun and Cozumel are just a stone throw away). The outlook is not good. Yes, mismanagement doesn't help. The Cayman's highest land point is the garbage dump, they don't recycle, it's reclaimed swamp land, and Ivan's evidence is STILL littered on the beaches in the form of debris and garbage and PLASTIC. There are thousands and thousands of people coming through there. hmmm... that couldn't possibly be affecting to ocean... oh no. Of course not. Is that GOOD management? How so?? I'm tired of tiptoeing around the Cayman island babies while everyone is free to bash other places freely, like Jamaica ...which as I admitted wasn't perfect. They have their problems as does everyone else, but don't sit there are act like everything is perfect in your preferred dive destination ...and it's being WELL managed!!!!
I can't believe people still run around with their eyes so jammed shut!
I'm so done with idiots who condone destruction of this planet.

2nd post:
Help me to avoid Jamaica!

After diving there once in 1980 I have managed to swear off since. 28 years now... but I do understand your needs.

At this point, Jamaica is high on our list because there is alot to do other than dive.......

After Belize, you are in for a serious let down as to u/w sights as well as dive operations.

You might investigate cruise ship diving as an alternative.

Don't mis-read my name. Roatan is only in my top 5 of the Caribbean~ we go all sorts of places. There is nothing to do on Roatan after diving other than drink. Oh sure, I forgot- canopy zip lines, horseback riding, dolphin pester, etc.

This applies to most islands, as you said.

Other than drinking- what is there? ...at least on islands with "better" diving...

On Bonaire? Excellent beaches and restaurants. (CD {Caribbean Diving comparative scale}): 10

Cayman? (as above) but add shopping (CD: 5)

Tobago? All of the above plus dramatic sightseeing (CD: 8.5)

I'd rather recommend Freeport Grand Bahama, Lucaya Bay area (CD: 1) than Jamaica. (CD: 1)

I used to travel with a very high maintenance :gorgeous: female. The places she wanted to go were lovely catered affairs, but if you want anything above what I rate as a CD3 (CD= Caribbean Diving comparative scale), amenities and diversions get thin very quickly.

Beer is a Caribbean sport in the Olympics.

Thanks everybody for all the responses. They were all helpful, especially RotanMan. Gotta enjoy the CD scale :wink:

Have you dove much in the DR? I get the impressions its similar to Jamaica but a little better diving. Sound right? Having only been to Belize, I guess my standards are skewed. Should I not expect all of rays/nurse sharkers/eels/groupers on each dive?

The more I google, the more I want to say $#@! the non-divers, ABC it is. That may not be too realistic though.

From your last post, it would seem that Jamaica is still very much still in the running. If so, I may be able to advise diving wise but would need to know where in Jamaica. Although not having the abundant fish life, Jamaica has stunning underwater topography to compare with anywhere on this globe.

Cozumel would be my pick for more things to do topside - shopping, bars, restaurants, tours. Roatan would be my diving destination pick with almost nothing to do topside other than sunbathe and try the zip line. (That's okay with me!) Tobago is lovely as well -- great diving and great beaches, less built up and touristy than Coz.

Negril Jamaica would be an excellent choice. There is a great, long, white sand beach. Go down to Rick's Cafe and see the cliff divers. Go horseback riding with Rhodes Plantation and go up into the bamboo forest, down to the beach, and into the mangrove swamp. Go river rafting and zip lining on the same outing at Chukka Blue. Shopping duty-free at Times Square is good. Sailing, really easy snorkeling for the beginners on Long Bay. Spend the afternoon on a catamaran booze cruise. Deep sea fishing at the drop-off 6 miles out. Dance and party at your choice of clubs. That's what we've done. I hear there are great falls and other tours too.

Oh, did you want scuba diving? Negril has some nice reefs with plenty of creatures. No, the fish aren't as plentiful but I've seen many more turtles here than we ever did at Cozumel or Bonaire. A few wrecks, some nice walls, cool reefs with swim-throughs. The water is always 82-84 and very clear. Fun, easy diving. Evryting Irie!

Seems to fit the bill to me. That's why we're headed to Negril in 32 days for our 8th trip with our group of friends, some are divers, some are not. We all love it.

people go to Jamaica for their first trip to the islands. You can always tell first timers on the plane. Pasty white young people and they all look like they are lost. Even on the plane Dove it back in the 80's and saw dead coral everywhere. Would never go back and would never go back to Roatan either

I think the Jamaican adults only resorts that include scuba diving in the package are a great buy for divers. If you factor in the cost of diving at other Caribbean Resorts the package, as a whole can't be beat. In my opinion they all run comparable programs and the one to choose depends on the type of vacation you are looking for and the personality of the resort.

I spent last weekend at the Georgia Dive Show in a booth co-sponsored between us and the Jamaican Tourist Board to try and get the word out to divers.
http://www.divecouples.com/images/jtb6.jpg

If you feel you need Cozumel diving and an adults all-inclusive you have the option of the Wyndham Aura or Wyndham Sabor resorts.
Dive Couples - Aura Cozumel Couples Only Resort

Dive Couples - Couples Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts offered by Scuba One Travel

Hedonism All Inclusive Resorts offered by Scuba One Travel

Beaches Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts offered by Scuba One Travel

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

Scuba One Travel - Runaway Bay Jamaica Underwater Photos

I would suggest Grand Cayman...plenty of enjoyable land activities, friendly people and GREAT diving. Check out our board...

Back
Top Bottom