Help me to avoid Jamaica!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting to read Michael Crichton's biography called "Travels" and his chapter on his experience in visiting Jamaica. Similar unpleasantness.

Hi all,

Just before my recent visit to Jamaica-Negril, I found this post on the forum, and had the intention to report my findings on my return, so others can possibly benefit from them, so here they are.

My wife and I just spent 14 nights (6 to 20 July) at couples swept away for our honeymoon. One of the reasons for choose the hotel was the scuba diving being included.
We're both fairly unexperienced divers (both advanced open water, with about 20 dives before we left), but consider it to be a great vacation activity.

Our experience with Jamaica - Negril:
The island is very beautiful, very green with nice hills, and a wonderful beach in Negril. The seawater is very clear and warm (29 degrees celcius).
We did not really got out of the resort (except for a catamaran cruise along the coast), and that might explain why we never felt unsafe at all.
On the plane getting there, we met a couple who were going to visit the island by themselves (renting a car, finding accomodations along the way), and 2 weeks later we saw them again at the airport (alive and kicking ;-) ), very enthusiastic about their trip.

Just don't forget to take bugspray (and apply it everytime you get out of your room!).

Experience with the resort (Couples swept away):
Our stay there was absolutely perfect. You should not expect the same luxurious rooms you have in European/American hotels (the likes of Hilton/Mariott/...), but you have everything you'll need.
The food is absolutely fabulous, as are the drinks. Staff is extremely friendly, and not just to get tips (staff is not allowed to accept tips (at the penalty of being fired), as the management want to provide a REAL all-in experience).
The whole environment makes that both guests and staff are in a good mood all the time, and the couples-only policy is great as well (my wife and me would like to have children one day, but a vacation with no loud kids running around can be wonderful :) ).
Hotel security staff is present at the beach all day, and patrols the resort premises as well, so you're always comfortable. At the beach, vendors pass from time to time, but no means no to them, so they won't bother you.

Diving at couples swept away:
Diving is included at this resort if you are certified (you can also get padi-certified, but this is not free).
Each day, except on Saturday, there's a dive in the morning and one in the afternoon. On Saturday, there's a 'two-tank' dive in the morning, where you don't get back to the hotel between the 2 dives (return around noon).
There were not too much divers, so we were welcome to join in for both the morning and afternoon dives whenever we wanted.
The hotel has its own boat (like most hotels in Negril), so you leave from the beach, get to the diving spot, dive, and get back. All in all, this takes about 1,5 hours, which is great, because you have all the non-diving time to enjoy on land.
(So you don't 'lose' half or a whole day when you go diving, like you do in Egypt, for those who've been there)
All gear is provided (free of charge as well), except for wet suits (but the water is warm enough to dive in just a short (and t-shirt) like I did.
The scuba staff is absolutely fabulous. We had a great time with them (Thanks Shaggy, Glenroy, Franz and Wade in case you're reading this!)

Diving in Negril:
We've been spoiled, diving in Egypt before, but still enjoyed our diving in Negril.
The coral is nice and colorful (more so than in the red sea), but there are indeed few (big) fishes.
In total, we made 21 dives, and some were more exciting than others (we also went repeatedly to the same spots), but we saw enough nice things to keep us wanting to go back every day.
Some of the highlights: 2 nurse sharks (one a fairly big one (about 6 feet), which was sleeping (or just posing for us to take photographs) ), 2 turtles and a few _very_ impressive big rays. The 'shallow' plane is a nice sight as well, (we weren't able to find the 'deep' plane).

All in all, my wife and I had an absolutely wonderful holiday in Jamaica, and had a lot of fun diving there. But it's probably not the best spot for hardcore divers.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Diving in Negril:
We've been spoiled, diving in Egypt before, but still enjoyed our diving in Negril.
The coral is nice and colorful (more so than in the red sea), but there are indeed few (big) fishes.
In total, we made 21 dives, and some were more exciting than others (we also went repeatedly to the same spots), but we saw enough nice things to keep us wanting to go back every day.
Some of the highlights: 2 nurse sharks (one a fairly big one (about 6 feet), which was sleeping (or just posing for us to take photographs) ), 2 turtles and a few _very_ impressive big rays. The 'shallow' plane is a nice sight as well, (we weren't able to find the 'deep' plane).

All in all, my wife and I had an absolutely wonderful holiday in Jamaica, and had a lot of fun diving there. But it's probably not the best spot for hardcore divers.

My wife and I were actually married at Couples Negril, and then went back for our five year anniversary about a year ago. The first trip, we dove with the on-site dive op, and next trip we dove with Sun Divers. I have to say that the first trip, we were very disappointed with the life on the reefs, not only the lack of big stuff, but anything.

What a difference five years made! Diving on some of the same reefs as before, seemed like we were diving any entirely different island. Fish populations were orders of magnitude more plentiful, color was back on the reefs, and as you indicated, rays, turtles, and sharks were evident.

Is it Caribbean dive quality? Maybe not yet, but is it a fun place to go for a vacation. We enjoy the on-island activities, the scenery, and the culture, as well; which makes it a very special place for us to go.

We are already planning our ten year anniversary trip, back to Negril; with an expectation that the diving will have improved even more by then.

Was in Jamacia several years ago and had great time. I dive in mud holes locally so anything jamacia has is awesome. Hire a local for a week to take your group whereever. No one will bother you. A completely different trip I would suggest is florida/alabama in May,June or July. I do not know where you are from but 2k will get you an awesome week. Pensacola or orange beach, al you can do day trips to many artificial reefs, wrecks, shore dives which have awesome vis and of course do the oriskany. Of course there are beach bars, flora bama - great golf courses and the best seafood in the world. no, i am not from there but have visited many times. anyway, you'll see more fish on reefs and wrecks off orange beach than you'll ever see in coz, bonaire or roatan. vis runs 50-100' and there are many local dive operations who are very safe and priced reasonable.

good luck and good diving

Hi all,

Diving at couples swept away:
Diving is included at this resort if you are certified (you can also get padi-certified, but this is not free).
Each day, except on Saturday, there's a dive in the morning and one in the afternoon. On Saturday, there's a 'two-tank' dive in the morning, where you don't get back to the hotel between the 2 dives (return around noon).
There were not too much divers, so we were welcome to join in for both the morning and afternoon dives whenever we wanted.
The hotel has its own boat (like most hotels in Negril), so you leave from the beach, get to the diving spot, dive, and get back. All in all, this takes about 1,5 hours, which is great, because you have all the non-diving time to enjoy on land.
(So you don't 'lose' half or a whole day when you go diving, like you do in Egypt, for those who've been there)
All gear is provided (free of charge as well), except for wet suits (but the water is warm enough to dive in just a short (and t-shirt) like I did.
The scuba staff is absolutely fabulous. We had a great time with them (Thanks Shaggy, Glenroy, Franz and Wade in case you're reading this!)

Diving in Negril:

I have been reading this thread for some time, avoiding posting as it really became a Jamaica bashing thread. It now seems it has become more meaningful and in the sense of what posting on Scubaboard is suppose to be about. Kudos to Andrew (Seascaper) for trying to deal with it alone. I admire your work at the Mobay Marine Park. I am a fan of Jamaica and will always be. I have over 15 trips there - some enclosed resorts - some not. I have never witnessed this barbed wire enclosures anywhere! I have never had a problem with security there, I have had problems with a couple PADI instructor/managers but that is largely due to personality and that brings this post off topic.

Yes there is a problem on the island with the murder rate :shakehead: but most of this is what islanders call "local violence" rarely does it impact tourists. But rest assured when it does it surely hits the US media in a big way. In terms of other crime - such as theft/robbery/rape - you will find several (should I say most??) US cities far outrank Jamaica. You just need to do your research of more current statistics than that which has been presented in this thread. Don't get me wrong I am not downplaying murder and violence but you do need to keep the alarmists in perspective in terms of your own personal situation.

If you have common sense and are reasonably well adept at international travel you will do very well on the island.

In terms of diving, Jamaica is a wonderful spot for novice divers to learn and acquire confidence in the sport. I completly agree with you Boris - Shaggy, Glenroy, Franz and Wade - are great fun, I know them well. :D I have actually seen more frequently "large fish" in Jamaica, then in Egypt - but as with any dive - it really comes down to luck and being in the right spot at the right time. I need to mention however the dives you took in Egypt, as divers with <20 dives, are more sedate - the more famous and well known sites require 50+ dives by the dive operators. On those you will find fish and coral that truely is within the top 10 dives of the world. So I can only encourage you to go back to Egypt once you reach this level.

I have always said real scuba divers don't rant on and on about how terrible some place is for diving rather you hear them going on and on how wonderful a dive was and what they saw. They in my opinion know the true meaning of the sport. So go enjoy Jamaica - it is a beautiful island, the Jamaican people are lovely and you will likely come back home with just a little piece of Jamaica in your heart. :blinking:

Last edited:
Thanks Seascaper for carrying the ball - been away from SB for a while and had no idea of the raging misrepresenation that was taking place. Would also like to say thanks to DiverDebbie, Docc, Boris A, Ibj40 and Seanpaul (just some names from the last couple pages) for maintaining some balance in this thread.

One of my hobbies is observing tourists' behaviour and I indulge whenever I am in a resort area. I have been trying to figure out why some are having such a great time (and getting on with the staff and other locals) while others are not. So far I have not found anything extraordinary. So the obvious still applies not only in Jamaica but anywhere on planet earth.

Superior, overbearing, arrogant and demmanding behaviour will elicit adverse reactions. The other end of the spectrum, timid and fearful, is also as bad, as this attracts predators. I would hazard a guess, that the SBers that I have mentioned above, are well balanced, confident, and cordial with a quick laugh.

In addition to the above, normal common sense that would apply in your own hometown still applies. Single females going off with a man (men?) that they have just met at the bar? Huh? Seek local advice from responsible people, like hotel management, before charging out into the great unknown. A globetrotting friend even says that she never accepts advice until she has gotten it again from another source.

A little research on your destination would also not hurt.

In closing, a qoute from a previous post:

"Currently, the State Department has rescinded it's warning, but the crime issues clearly have gotten worse."

This statement must surely be '1st cousin, once removed' from an oxymoron. Unless of course, the State Department is accepted to be inept.

Boris - Thanks for posting your review. We went to Swept Away for our wedding and honeymoon for 2 weeks and likewise enjoyed the resort very much, especially the people. The dive staff as well are a great bunch of guys. The diving may not be the best in the world, but we had fun easy dives, and that bunch of dive staff were about the most helpful and friendly I have ever met diving any where. We will go back (just been busy checking out new locations)
I particularly enjoyed the bit about the couple that went off to investigate the island and came back alive! NO! Say it isn't so :wink: In fact, if you check out Jamaica forums you will see that manyt people do in fact travel independently and don't all stay in all-inclusive resorts.
I've been trying to avoid this thread, as all the ridiculous over the top Jamaica bashing by a couple of people, one in particular, with a severe hate on for Jamaica for whatever obvious personal reason, has been making my blood boil, and these people are just not worth it.
Sure, it's not all rosy any perfect in Jamaica, but then neither is my home town, or any where for that matter. Some people need some serious anger management counselling.
The Jamaicans say it best - One Love

I have been traveling to Negril Jamaica for 9 years and love the beaches, easy diving, the resorts, and the loving people who take great care of us at our resorts. We have found Jamaican people to be very friendly, open, and caring.

We travel off the resort for dining, shopping, and activities every time we travel there and have never felt any more unsafe than any American city. Just as in the USA, you should be smart about personal safety and security when out in public or within your own room/home, but we have always received great treatment when travelling around Jamaica. In fact, all our terrible travel stories come from the USA, not any of the many Caribbean countries we have visited.

We have many friends who travel to Jamaica more often than us, and who stay in small local hotels and resorts. They, like us, have had fabulous treatment and made many friends in Jamaica.

Please don't listen to the "Chicken Little" doomsayers. Many other scare reports they quote are from many years ago and only within certain crime-ridden areas. If you read American newspapers you would be able to quote much more and much worse happening right here, right now. If you listened to every bad report, you would never leave your home. Have some (un)common sense people.

Carnival Shore excursion robbery -Jamaica

Kenneth Williams
Dickinson, TX

On June 10, 2007, my wife, 12-year old son, 10-year old daughter, and I set sail on the Carnival Conquest from Galveston, Texas. Being that this was our first cruise, we were looking forward to spending some quality time together as a family. The first stop was Jamaica, when we opted for a Carnival excursion, “Lethe Village Tour”. We selected this tour to show the kids traditional Jamaican culture. We had no idea how this decision would change our lives forever.

I am a 17-year police veteran. Before my current profession, I proudly served in the U.S. Army. Safety and protection is my number one goal with anyone, especially with my wife and children. With this in mind, I attended the excursion meeting that was held on the ship by the Cruise Director, Mr. Price.

During that excursion meeting, the Director's words were… “In order to see the true Jamaica, you have to take a Carnival Shore Excursion." He added, “The Carnival Shore Excursions are guaranteed safe." He explained that in the port city, we may encounter some undesirables, attempting to sell marijuana or pressuring us to take their cab. He explained that the Red-Tag cabs were the only registered cabs. He continued to persuade us to take a Carnival Excursion. There were no other warnings mentioned, other than the marijuana and high pressure taxi-sell. After the meeting, I was confident in my decision to take the Carnival Excursion, because of the “guaranteed” safety.

We arrived in Montego Bay on June 13th, where my family and I boarded the excursion bus, along with 13 other passengers. Two of the passengers were my father and step-mother. My father, who is 67 years old, has had two major heart attacks with the last one in July of 2006. This was the perfect relaxing excursion for him.

We drove approximately 30-40 minutes into the country of Lethe, Hanover. Along the way, we observed extreme poverty. The people looked at us as though they were angry with us for some reason.

We arrived at the plantation and we learned a few things about bananas and coconuts. Then, we boarded a green and yellow trolley, connected to an old John Deer tractor. The excursion tour guide had turned us over to an elderly Jamaican plantation worker, Dalton, who pulled the trolley further into the plantation, surrounded by lush, thick jungle vegetation. I was relaxed and felt secure, as my family and I observed the flowers and tropical plants. Dalton had given a presentation on the banana plant and was pulling us through the plantation, towards a botanical garden to view some flowers and listen to a kindergarten class sing to us.

As we traveled further through the plantation, we approached a side-road to our right that was also surrounded with vegetation. It was here that our world came crashing down… Two men ambushed our trolley, approaching with guns and a knife. They immediately took control of our lives, pointing a pistol at the driver and ordering him to stop. Visibly shaken, Dalton exited and pleaded for the men not to hurt anyone.

The two gunmen began yelling, "F_ _king foreigners. Give us your f_ _king money, man. Don't f_ _k with us, man. We're f_ _king crazy." They approached on opposite sides and were either madmen or on some form of drug. My two children were sitting behind my wife and me, next to my stepmother and my father.

One of the gunmen placed an 8" revolver in my 10-year-old daughter’s face. My daughter was crying and pleading with the gunman not to kill her. I have never felt so helpless in my life! I still get physically sick thinking about this. As visions of my daughter’s life passed before my eyes, all I could think of was how badly I wanted her in my arms. The gunman kept the gun in her face, as he stole her disposable camera and all the belongings of the other passengers.

These gunmen were jerking passengers around, as they removed the valuables. One gunman took his knife and cut a camera strap from around the neck of one of the passenger. There was no doubt that these guys were violent and on the verge of hurting one of us. They continuously called us “F_ _ king foreigners” and it appeared as though they were angry about us being there. Once they had stolen everything, both gunmen disappeared back into the jungle, leaving my family and all the other victims visibly shaken, violated, and terrified.

The driver brought us back to the starting point of the plantation, where we exited the trolley and told other tourists of our nightmare. They all loaded back onto their buses, and were taken back to the Carnival Conquest, leaving us at the plantation still in fear and shock.

The other plantation workers were upset about us being robbed and grabbed their machetes and some sharpened cane poles. They wanted to go back to the robbery site to search for the gunmen. I had never seen the sharpened cane poles, but later, I figured that they knew it was dangerous around there or they never would have had the weapons. As a police officer, it was easy to tell that these guys must have known this area was dangerous and they needed these weapons on-hand for protection. Carnival should have known, as it was a Carnival Excursion.

Approximately 20-minutes later, the Jamaican police arrived. One officer took shorts statements from all of us; however, I wrote out a statement for him. He kept saying that more officers were supposed to come and help with statements. They never showed, but I believe all available officers were out searching for the robbers. The officer told me that they were notifying the local villages to look out for the suspects. I did find out that the owner of the Lethe Village Tour Plantation was running for the Ministry of Tourism.

After approximately 3 ½ -hours, we were transported back to the Carnival Conquest, where some of the crew shuffled us back onto the ship and into a debriefing room.

After the debriefing, we were released back to the cruise. We began hearing from Carnival employees, regarding their knowledge of how dangerous Jamaica can be, and their reason for not leaving the ship. Every crewmember to whom I spoke stated that they do not leave the ship, because they fear for their safety; yet, Carnival allowed us and other passengers to leave the ship, guaranteeing our safety?

The next day, I was told that the two gunmen tried to exit the jungle approximately 2 miles from the plantation around 10:00PM, where they encountered the Jamaican Police and tried to shoot their way out. One gunman was shot and killed and the second one got away.

Carnival brought a Crisis Intervention Therapist onboard, who met with us. She remained on the ship, all the way back to Galveston, Texas. At the end of the cruise, she recommended that our family seek further counseling, in order to deal with this traumatic event. My wife and I agreed. A letter was also delivered to our cabin from the CEO of Carnival, apologizing for the incident. It also stated that Guest Relation Supervisor, Dorothy Georges, would be standing-by for our phone call on Monday morning, June 18th. When I called on Monday to inquire about the additional counseling, Ms. Georges was not available. I left a message.

When Ms. Georges returned my call, I expressed my concerns and asked how we would go about having Carnival pay for our counseling. She stated that she could not confirm whether or not Carnival would pay for the counseling, and would not have an answer on this for a few days. This infuriated me even more, thinking that if it had been THEIR 10-year old girl, who had a gun shoved in her face and forced to plead for her life, they would have immediately said, “Yes” to my counseling request. At this point Carnival began handling this incident as ‘strictly business’. There was no compassion whatsoever!

My wife continues to shake at times, so much that she has been unable to return to work. My son claims that he sometimes sees one of the gunmen in our house. My daughter has broken out in hives. I, for one, get so angry and upset that I physically shake and then cry. I go back and forth. I am nauseated just writing this story. We all have nightmares in relation to this incident. It is ridiculous and totally neglectful on the part of Carnival that we were not given the true facts and information about Jamaica. I would never have subjected my family to this if I had received this valid information, in advance, and I will now live with that decision forever.

I wish to strongly encourage anyone, who is considering traveling to Jamaica, to STOP! It is not worth the risk. They prey on the tourists, knowing that they carry money and other valuables. Unfortunately, the local citizens earn approximately $50-$100 dollars a week. The two gunmen, who robbed us, escaped with approximately two to three thousand dollars. This is the equivalent to someone robbing a bank in the USA. This will only continue. They have no choice. The poverty is too bad.

I am hoping to get this information out to the public and caution all tourists, who are contemplating a cruise or trip to Jamaica. It’s not safe! I want to warn you, because Carnival will not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom