Help me to avoid Jamaica!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what kind of opinion people would have of Jerry's (he will forever be known as <TheTROLL> in my mind) home town if every crime was printed in a forum?! Every country in the world has crime and as previously mentioned, victims will be victims no matter where they travel. Better yet Jerry, do you know how many crimes are committed on the internet EVERY DAY?!? You'd better clear out before you become a victim again!!! Use a little common sense and don't act like an idiot and you will be fine.

Last edited:
I wonder what kind of opinion people would have of Jerry's (he will forever be known as <TheTROLL> in my mind) home town if every crime was printed in a forum?! Every country in the world has crime and as previously mentioned, victims will be victims no matter where they travel. Better yet Jerry, do you know how many crimes are committed on the internet EVERY DAY?!? You'd better clear out before you become a victim again!!! Use a little common sense and don't act like an idiot and you will be fine.

I thought this thread had finally died. Oh, well. I'll respond briefly.

My original post was to respond to the liar in Jamaica who tried to paint Jamaica as a safe and carefree place to travel where you could rent a car and just drive wherever you want. It's simply not true.

The crime ratio between Jamaica and my hometown isn't even remotely comparable. Especially when Jamaica was, until recently surpassed by Trinidad, the murder capital of THE WORLD.

But this thread has opened my interest into reading more about Jamaica and its crime problem. It seems that it's a bigger problem that I ever imagined when I posted my first response.

I find it interesting that gay people now are beginning a boycott of Jamaica and anything it makes, especially rum and coffee. Why is that?

We could keep this thread going for the rest of year and into the next. In the end, it seems there are people who really love Jamaica and others who feel because of tourist harassment and crime will choose to avoid it. To each their own.

Cheers.

Have you read about the crime problems along the Texas-Mexico border? Have you read about the gang fights/shootings/killings in American cities? Unfortunately, crime happens.

No matter where you travel there are crime-ridden neighborhoods that most people should avoid. Jamaica has some horrible areas, mostly in Kingston, where the police have little control. There have also been incidents in other places around the islands, but on average the tourist areas are as safe as traveling in any major american city. I hear of murder and robbery everyday in America, even in small towns sometimes, and it happens in Jamaica too.

I will not live in a padded cell away from all harm. I choose to live a fun-filled, well traveled life while taking reasonable precautions for my welfare. Be smart, stay safe, protect yourself, but live life!

Jamaica is as safe as any other island in the Caribbean, except for a few Kingston neighborhoods. Stick to the tourist areas and you'll be as safe as one can reasonably expect.

Have you read about the crime problems along the Texas-Mexico border?

Maybe this is way off topic, and if so, I apologize, but this was my initial reaction, as well.

I used to travel extensively to the Texas border towns on business, and never once was worried about what bar I walked into, or which neighborhood a restaurant was in, or even how far into Mexico I had to go to get there. Matamoros, Juarez, and Nuevo Laredo used to be destinations I bragged about to business associates, and would take them to my favorite places. These days, I don't think I want to even go to Brownsville, El Paso, or Laredo, much less across the border. How things change!

With respect to Jamaica, we (my wife and I) will be returning there in 2013 for our ten year anniversary, without hesitation. We feel comfortable enough to know where to go, and where not, and look forward to the ever improving (if our experience from 2003 to 2008 is any indication) diving.

Hello... Mods... are you there? You closed the other ridiculous Jamaica thread, so how about closing this one? I think the Jamaica bashing from all the horribly negative people has gone on long enough, don't you think?
Thanks

Gay hate crime feared in consul to Jamaica's death
British honorary consul John Terry found beaten and strangled, with reports saying killer left homophobic message

Gay hate crime feared in consul to Jamaica's death | World news | guardian.co.uk

The British consul murdered in Jamaica may have been the victim of a homophobic attack.

A note found with John Terry's body referred to him as a "batty man" &#8211; slang for a homosexual &#8211; according to reports.

The news website Go Jamaica has reported that St James police suspect Terry knew his killer. The authorities have not revealed any possible motives and no arrests have been made.

It was reported today that the handwritten note found with Terry's body was signed "Gay-Man" and warned: "This is what will happen to ALL gays."

The Foreign Office said it was not aware of any homophobic aspect. A spokeswoman said it remained in close contact with Jamaican police.

Terry, 65, was found in the bedroom of his home in Mount Carey, St James, on Wednesday. Police said he had been beaten and then strangled. The body was found with a cord and clothing around the neck.

The New Zealand-born honorary consul was described by the foreign secretary, David Miliband, as a "key member of our team". He had lived in Jamaica since 1967 and been an honorary consul for 13 years. He was awarded an MBE in 1992.

Miliband said: "I, and all his colleagues, were deeply saddened to hear of the death of John Terry, the British honorary consul in Montego Bay in Jamaica. John Terry was a key member of our team in Jamaica and had been an honorary consul for 13 years, but with many years of other service to the British community in Jamaica before then.

"Honorary consuls like John play a valuable role in our work overseas and this was especially true of John, who helped many, many British visitors to Jamaica over the years. My thoughts are with his wife and children. He will be greatly missed too by colleagues and all those who knew him."

Honorary consuls are volunteers paid a small honorarium, typically around £2,000 a year, for representing British nationals in difficulty, acting as a UK link with local industry and representing embassies and high commissions at parties and public functions.

There were more than 1,600 killings last year in Jamaica, which has one of the highest murder rates in the world.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Another website responds:
Box Turtle Bulletin Jamaican Police Deny Murder was Gay Hate Crime

Jamaican Police Deny Murder was Gay Hate Crime
Timothy Kincaid
September 14th, 2009

When Honorary British Consul in Jamaica John Terry was murdered in Montego Bay, his naked body was accompanied by a note that said, &#8220;This is what will happen to ALL gays.&#8221; But this was not reported in the Jamaican media.

Now Jamaican police, responding to the word getting out from British and other media sources, have &#8220;ruled out&#8221; homophobia as a cause for Terry&#8217;s murder.

"local police say nothing in their investigation is consistent with that theory and have asked the media to desist from reporting this
misleading information."

Somehow it seems to me as though the police are far more concerned with the reputation of their country than they are about the crimes committed against gay residents.

Meanwhile Jamaican media are still downplaying the possibility of anti-gay animus as the cause of the crime. I&#8217;ve not found any reference to the note, and the Jamaica Gleaner is serving up additional bias by misstating British coverage:

"Questions have swirled in British media that Terry, 65, was a homosexual who was probably killed by a lover."

Perhaps time will reveal that this is not an anti-gay murder. But it appears at this time as though Jamaican police and media are seeking to cover up facts rather than solve this crime.

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE: If you are gay or if someone may mistakenly guess that you are gay, you are not safe to visit Jamaica. You may be subjected to violence &#8211; or even murdered &#8211; and the Jamaican police probably will not come to your aid.

If you know of anyone who is planning on visiting this cauldron of hatred and violence, please give them warning. Jamaica is not safe for tourism.

Last edited:
Administrators- shut this stupid thread down immediately and delete it.

Jerry.
Low, tasteless and generally pathetic. I was cringing, waiting for some mouth-breather to chime in with this tabloid-magazine chestnut.

John was a dear friend to my wife and I for many years. You reviving your ancient pin-headed rant with his poorly-reported, sensationalized demise when it will obviously strike a raw nerve is truly disgusting.
His murder, regardless of situation, location or motive should not be reported here, particularly in this gloating tone.
Get some decorum, animal.
A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom