Help me pick a quiet new snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Atomic SV2 for a semi dry. They are light and well streamlined.

I like the semi-dry snorkels. In choppy conditions, the divertor on top prevents water from entering the tube and the easy purge valve keeps water from entering your mouth. I have never needed cable ties. I like the Tusa Platina and Imprex because of the comfortable fitting mouth piece and efficient drain valve. The Platina is low profile and comes in many colors. I also use the Aqua Lung Impulse 3 with comfobite mouth piece. The Aqua Lung is large though with no restriction when breathing in. Also good for racing or going fast on the surface. Check SCUBAToys for Platina and LeisurePro for Impulse 3.

I rent snorkels, and I'm amazed how many people bite off the tabs that go between the teeth. If you're one of these people get one that takes a standard scuba mouthpiece.

I see so many snorkels that leak because the butterfly valve in the autodump is either missing or has warped in storage. IMO the best snorkel is a simple bent tube with no autodump and no "dry valve".

Remind me again why anyone actually needs/wants a snorkel. never again will I have a big clumsy tube dangling next to my face again . If your gonna buy one get a plain straight J tube thats small enough to stuff in a drysuit/wetsuit/BCD/BP&W pocket.

I have the Black/Red Platina II from ST 10% forum discount, $10 GC/10post, Free S&H for $50 order. I have used it for abalone diving and spearfishing. It is a very dry low profile snorkel and works well in rough/choppy seas and also in kelp. The flex oscillates when surfacing, but I tend to spit it out of my mouth when freediving so it does not bother me.

I mainly freedive. I only SCUBA dive a few days a month now. For divers on SCUBA to conserve air while on the surface a snorkel can be used, also if there is something to look at from the surface. I only SCUBA dive in the ocean so there is a lot of sea life. A snorkel is good if unable to surface swim on back through the kelp and around rocks.

Last edited:
cmburch, thanks for sharing your experience with the Platina--though the rigid version of the Aqualung is now turning my head as well--the rigid version looks just like the snorkel I lost, but it's probably a little better (the Atomics look nice, and I love my Atomic splits, but I probably won't pay that much for a snorkel). Northwoods, I know there are lots of snorkel-haters down there (I spend plenty of time with tech divers), but there are times when I like to have one handy. Plus, I like to snorkel when I'm not diving, and right now I have no snorkel whatsoever, what with my old one rolling about the seafloor of Ovalau and all.

I have a black/yellow flex Impulse 3 and a clear red rigid Impulse 3. They are large/huge/monsters, not low profile, and not flexible. I like the comfobite mouth piece - the same as my regulator. I also like the yellow top for visibility - people may be able to see me better and recognize me. There is no resistance when breathing and they are very dry. I like them when working out and swimming fast after a fish, but there is major drag due to the size and they do not flex at all if caught in kelp. The rigid does work well when surfacing, but there is drag/resistance due to its large size. The clear blue and aqua also look nice. I did not like the yellow, but maybe the lime if it is also a clear tube.

I just noticed. I have a lot of snorkels - 2 older models of Imprex, 1 Platina II, and 2 Impulse 3. I like the Platina and Impulse 3 the best. I give my older snorkels away when my buddies lose theirs. It is interesting to see the progression on the 3 different Imprex models over the years mainly in diverter size and bottom purge. I switched to Platina rather than the newest Imprex due to low profile. But it does not breath as easy as the humongous Impulse 3.

The deed is done. I'm going with the Impulse 3. Hope it's my next 15-year snorkel. Thanks all!

The Impulse 3 is an advanced, high-tech snorkel that combines both high breathability and efficient splash reduction, thanks to the unique design of the upper splash-diverter valve. Just one word of advice: Don't drop it! There's a glue seam at the upper valve that can sometimes fracture, thus demonstrating once again that high technology can be both a blessing and a curse.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom