Help me move to South Florida.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....Don't even feel like I want to fly out to see other things, still happy with exploring places locally....
Yea I know the thread is 4 months old, but that is still a great quote above.

Pretty soon you'll hit the next plateau and that you'll take a big dive trip out of the country. And on that vacation, you will hit a realization like a ton of bricks.

"Why did I pay big money for this, when the diving in my own backyard is much better"

Lemon sharks, world class wrecks, whale sharks, 80ft viz, warm water, eagle rays, manatees, mantas, dolphins, tiger sharks, colorful tropical fish, lobsters, giant crabs and on, & on, & on............

Last edited:
My wife and I did just this 8 months ago and we love it. My wife has a 9-5-type job and she loves that we can dive on the weekend and be home after lunch and get on with the rest of our day. We chose to be west of Miami, 20min from downtown for the nightlife and entertainment, but close to the FL turnpike, which means we can get from our home to the check in desk of our favourite Key Largo dive operator in 40minutes (early in the morning.) Bang out a 2T dive and be back for lunch. I've started my own Tech Instruction company here in Miami and have picked up students easily and organically. It's a great life style!

If your interest is in wrecks and tech i feel that the Hollywood / Fort Lauderdale / Pompano Beach area is your a good bet. lots of potential for wreck and tech there as well as decent reefs. aswell as a good diving community. prices on trip are slightly cheap up there to.

Miami has wrecks to, however, i feel that there aren't enough dive boats here and most tend to tourist rather then locals (repetitive trip locations) I don't know if there's dive boats that do many technical stuff in Miami. Housing here Suuuuuuucks... especially the closer to downtown and the beach. My family's house is worth ~170k including the land, its not a very big home single floor. market value for the house is currently ~300 - 350K. unless you plan on living in the getto your not going to find cheap housing here. Up side to living in miami is you can party here 24 hours, theres always something open late 5-6 Am-ish, if thats something your into

Homestead is good if your looking for cheaper housing. The down side is that east of homestead is Biscayne Bay, which has nothing at all other then sea grass and sand. once you get past that u got some really nice reefs on the other side of the upper keys as far as i know theres pretty much no wrecks out there other then lost remnants of wooden ships. also there is like only 1 dive operation that works out of homestead so you will ether have to drive up to Miami / Fort Lauderdale or drive down to the Keys (closer option). The keys is has aloooooooot of Reefs and few ship wrecks (though very good ones; Spegal, Duane, Eagle etc) homes are booku bux $$$$$$$$ there though.

What is your input on where to live with a possible part time job(s) in the industry?

a box? maybe....

you can not live here by yourself comfortably working a low paying part time or 2

Almost there! I've been in Panama City a few days visiting and I like it here. Rolling solo during the day so I haven't got out that much however the rest was pretty sweet. Local dive shop was a plethora of information. No boats going out during the week and only a maybe for the weekend so I won't hang around. Maybe find something Saturday or Sunday on the way down. That warm water is going to feel like heaven after being dry for 5 weeks!

travel safe and good luck....the ocean is waiting for you...should be nice this weekend on the southeast.

yes, i have walked that gauntlet a few times wearing full scuba gear....and they always want to stop you and talk diving while you wear all that lead....so i ignore them.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom