Help me keep my wife warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all need a little help with protection for my wife when tropical diving in 80-83f water she wears a full lava core with 3 mil Shorty here at home water range from 70-75 above the therma Cline to mid to low 60s below we are trying to stay away from the drysuit route for summer diving but may have to dive dry all year she is 5,7 110lbs soaking wet not a big of fat on her which is her problem I guess lol but we where thinking about a semi dry like the Hollis neotek or any semidry for that matter any help is much grateful

I have a number of friends and clients who dive dry year round, even in tropical waters. they just wear thinner or no undergarments in warmer water. Why are you balking at a drysuit?

Cost versus how much it will be used as we have a two yr old she doesn't get to dive as often as she likes

Cost versus how much it will be used as we have a two yr old she doesn't get to dive as often as she likes

I am someone who dove cold for the longest time, layering up with more and more neoprene, scheduling vacations only when and where it was absolutely warmest, etc. I assumed diving dry would be too expensive, too complicated, and not enough like actually diving. In fact, I almost just quit diving because the overhead associated with it was so cumbersome, and I was still getting too cold, too often.

Thanks to some knowledgeable and caring input by Jim Lapenta here on SB, I very reluctantly got a dry suit a couple of years ago, only because it was the last thing left to try before I gave up on diving. Yes, it cost some, but it has ultimately become the best investment I've ever made in diving. Yes, it was a bit more complicated, but you get the hang of it over time. To my great surprise, it still felt like diving even though I wasn't getting wet any more (not very wet, anyway :)).

I have not been cold once since I started diving dry. This is miraculous for me. Because I am finally and reliably comfortable, I'm enjoying diving more than I have since the very beginning. One way of looking at it for your wife is the less she dives, the more important it is that the dives she does get are as enjoyable as they possibly can be.

As for me, I dive dry all the time now. Don't miss the wet suit at all and honestly, the dry suit is actually less trouble than my massive neoprene collection was. I thought I'd feel self-conscious diving with it in the tropics but I was so busy being comfortable and enjoying myself that I forgot about it.

So there's one person's experience, for what it's worth. Going dry saved diving for me, and I really wish more people with thermal issues would consider it. It rocks.:dance:

We aren't ruling out dry diving cause if a semi don't work it's like everything else wasted money and not used so it's a toss up only problem is they is no way for her to try one without buying one as neither of us has every dove dry but we are looking into it

As a diving wife myself . . . she doesn't dive much now, but how much of that is not being very comfortable when she makes the effort to do it? Put her in an inexpensive dry suit (think ScubaPro Everdry, or White's Fusion, or even a used suit) and a good undergarment, and you might encounter a completely different attitude when you want to go diving.

Only time she is 100% comfortable is our yearly trips to warm water I was looking at the whites for myself and seen the womens fit is they a big difference between men and women cut in a drysuit

I can tell you first hand that semi-dry suits aren't that much warmer than normal wetsuits. You stay dry, which is a nice thing, but under 30ft the neoprene compresses to nothing and you start freezing.

I can tell you first hand that semi-dry suits aren't that much warmer than normal wetsuits. You stay dry, which is a nice thing, but under 30ft the neoprene compresses to nothing and you start freezing.

Thanks for the heads up I was afraid of that

Why dive for fun when you don't have any because you are cold! The older I get the colder I get. 72 degrees is a 5 mil plus lava core for a 60 minute swim dive (no drift) and I am eyeing one of my drysuits. Yes, suitS!

As an alternative, look at the scubapro dry suit. It has neoprene seals which might leak a little more than latex but 1. they require less frequent replacement, 2. are a lot cheaper (since cost is an issue). I dive that one in "warmer" waters because a small leak will not get me cold.

Also, save the money and don't buy an expensive undersuit. Layering is key. Go to an outdoor store and by non-cotten wicking material as a first layer and then add non-cotton warming layers on top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom