Help me ID these tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
So they say they are 12L tanks but I'm unsure based on markings (S080). Based on the bar listing (207) I'm prone to believing it but they look like AL80s to me. Trying to figure it out for my SAC. They are Luxfer tanks.

Thanks much guys,
Dave

2017-11-20 18.41.05.jpg 2017-11-20 18.21.35.jpg

Yes, plain old garden variety AL80.
Which of course is actually 77.4 cuft, not 80. which of course is actually 10.6 liters.
A 12 liter tank at 207 bars would hold 2484 liters, which is 87.7 cu ft.
The AL80 is often call "11 liters" because 11 liters at 207 bars is 2277 liters, which is 80.4 cuft.

That's what I thought. They insisted they were 12L tanks which would have crushed my SAC.
Dave

I don't know who "they" is, but I wouldn't trust them with anything fragile or expensive.

They are the dive op which operated a liveaboard I was on. it was also in Thailand so they probably have no concept of imperial.

These are indeed what Tursiops said. Run of the mill Luxfer AL 80 tanks. Perfectly good tanks. Manufacture date was in 2014 so if you're thinking of buying them they'll need a hydro before August 2019.

For SAC calculations I would use 11 liters as the tank volume. The reason they may have thought they were 12 liter tanks could have to do with the fact that aluminium tanks are physically larger than comparable steel tanks. They are so much larger than a steel 10 liter tank that someone could be forgiven from thinking they were a 12 liter, particularly if they're not not a diver.

R..

These tanks are the standard here. Everybody calls them 12 liters, which in reality they are not.

And no, Thailand has no idea about imperial, all we need is the US to move to a more sensible system and we're good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom