Help Me ID a Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last night I haelped a new negighbor move some furniture into the house he just bought. In the garage I noticed Halcyon BP/W and asked him about diving. Turns out it was just left in the house from the previous owner and he "...had no use for it." I asked if he was interested in selling it, but he simply insisted I just take it as thanks for moving his stuff, even after told him he could get a few hundred on ebay.

Anyway, I know just about nothing about Halcyon gear, other than the wing is an Explorer 55. I was hoping someone might know how old it is. The label reads "Halcyon Doing It Right Equipment Company." Behind the word blue/green word "Halcyon" is a white triangle that resembles the recycle symbol just about like this:

http://www.soter.com/recycle.gif

Thanks in advance.

Matt (Obviously a Stroke :D)

According to Anthony Rue at Halcyon, the recycle logo "was created for the first Halcyon Rebreather, before there were any other products in the Halcyon line. Rebreathing = recycling." That makes it one of the older Halcyon wings... about which I don't know much, other than that it's good for many doubles configurations, and that you were really lucky to get one for free. :)

Enjoy!

I have a 40 lb Explorer wing purchased in 2001 that has the recycle logo as well.

MSilvia:
According to Anthony Rue at Halcyon, the recycle logo "was created for the first Halcyon Rebreather, before there were any other products in the Halcyon line. Rebreathing = recycling." That makes it one of the older Halcyon wings... about which I don't know much, other than that it's good for many doubles configurations, and that you were really lucky to get one for free. :)

Enjoy!

I know. It is kinda cool to walk *** backward into a nice piece of gear. It actually came with a Halcyon 5 lbs. SS plate, harness, and even had a 50 lbs bag stuffed behind the plate. It seriosly looks like it has not been in the water more than ten times. Problem is I don't have doubles and would really like to try it a few times with my single 119s as I have never had the means to really spend some time with a BP/W. Guess I will look at buying a wing for singles and sell this one.

MSilvia:

Enjoy!

I wouldn't use an Explorer 55 with a single tank setup--lots of availability for tank wrap and places to trap air.

matts1w:
I know. It is kinda cool to walk *** backward into a nice piece of gear. It actually came with a Halcyon 5 lbs. SS plate, harness, and even had a 50 lbs bag stuffed behind the plate. It seriosly looks like it has not been in the water more than ten times. Problem is I don't have doubles and would really like to try it a few times with my single 119s as I have never had the means to really spend some time with a BP/W. Guess I will look at buying a wing for singles and sell this one.

Unless you know for sure you'll never dive doubles, keep the E55 and buy a singles wing.

matts1w:
Time to buy two tanks and a manifold.<G>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom