help me decide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stokes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a certified advanced open water diver looking to take basic/advanced nitrox within this year. Because of the basically good year-round weather in the Philippines, I hardly have to use my 3mm suit when I dive. I use 6lbs of lead w/o the suit and 8-10lbs with the suit. I am currently using a scubapro BC, MK20 S550 reg, Suunto Eon Lux consule computer.

I am looking to buy a second BC that will suit my recreational diving needs and can also serve my needs should i decide to lean towards tek in the future. Unfortunately, I can't try any of them out before buying them, as I would have to order them from shops here or through the net. Either the dive shop ships it here or I go directly to the net and have the stuff shipped myself.

I have researched on the following BCs :

Halcyon w/ pioneer 18lbs or 27lbs wings?
Transpac II with Travel or Trek or Rec wings?
Scubapro S-tek with Trav wings ot Rec wings?

I am also looking for a wrist computer that I can use with both air and nitrox:

Aladin Ultra Pro?

All your comments, advice, pros/cons, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:jester:

Extreme Exposure will let you try gear out for a month and then send it back if you do not like it. The shipping could be prohibitive though in the Phillipines.

I have no experience with the other two, but the standard backplate will be the most versatile overall just by its nature.

Tommy

Thanks, but you're right though, shipping charges puts me in a disadvantage

Get the Halcyon backplate... it is very flexible and quite comfortable... the "minimal" approach if you will!!

I have a Transpac II with a Travel Wing and a Rec wing. The Scubapro STek is a Transpac I, the design was bought from DiveRite which then put out the Transpac II. I like the DiveRite Traspac II if the choice is between those two, but they are essentially the same.

The Backplate and Wing is a good option. With a Stainless Steel Backplate, you would drop 6# from your weight belt, and you would have no ditchable weight with your current weight use without the suit. You would have to swim up if you had an emergency (you can swim, right?).

For overheads, I don't use ditchable weight, cause you would crash into the overhead if you ditched. I have an extra heavy backplate (16#) that lets me dive dry without a weight belt or pouch.

I'd get the SST Backplate and 27# wing. The 18 is only recommended for a single aluminum tank. You might consider the 36# wing which is the same size as the 27 with only a gusset added to allow a little more air.

If you are considering any tech diving, the BP&W is essential, if not, it's still a good BC.

Dave

I wouldn't get any larger wing than the 27# and the 18# is probably sufficient. I use a 27# wing in cold water drysuit diving with steel tank. Get an Aluminum backplate and you can still have a little dichable weight.

It seems that everyone inadvertantly overlooked that Stokes was also looking for some help on a good computer with nitrox capability.

The NiTek1 is a good solid computer for big dummies like me. It's wrist mounted and easy to program. It is rather expensive, but it's very dependable.

I'm sure others out there can offer you some help.

Yeah, I would get an AL plate with a Halcyon wing. Keep some ditchable weight.

I just got a Vyper a few days ago for my birthday, and thus far, it seems like a very good and adaptable computer. My wife paid $216 for it at Simply Scuba (they gave her a discount over the phone :thumb: ).

Good luck.

Mike

thanks for all of the responses...

what's hard for me here in Manila is that everyone is trying to sell me stuff based on vested interest (either they are related to the dive shop importing that product or they get a finders fee from the dive shops). it really makes it hard to get a non-biased and objective opinion.

i'm looking to make this purchase within the next month. so i can start my basic nitrox class with a BP&W set-up.

thanks! again! if you can think of anything else... i'm all ears!

Back
Top Bottom