Help me choose, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to expand my dive wardrobe so that I can dive locally and not just on tropical dive trips. Local = Great Lakes = COLD!

Dry suits sound nice, but I need two of these (one for me and one for my spouse dive buddy). In reality, because of cost, we'd probably have to put off getting these awhile.

On the other hand, I could afford to plunk down on a couple big snuggly wetsuits tomorrow and get into the water. I'm looking at Pinnacle Kodiak 8 mm semidry suits, the Pinnacle 7 mm merino elasticene suits, or the Aries 7 mm waterproof wetsuit (this one is stocked by my LDS).

Anyone have any feedback on any of these wetsuits or general advice on whether this will be adequate for diving here, off California (in the plans), Puget Sound, etc., or do I really need to go dry?

Thanks!

I dive in Northern California with water temps in the mid-40s. I have the Waterproof Taurus. While it's called a "semi-dry" suit, it's really a "not quite as wet" suit. In other words, you'll still get wet but there's a lot less water exchange than a traditional wet suit. It's 7mm, like the Aries you looked at but has drysuit seals on all the extremities and a drysuit zipper across the back. It's the warmest 7mm I've ever used (granted that only includes about a half dozen type but I did try the kodiak and the 7mm pinnacle merino). I highly recommend it. The only downside is you can't really zip it up by yourself. you'll need your buddy to zip the drysuit zipper for you before getting in the water. Not a big deal, IMO.

Oh, it also comes with a Waterproof hood. It's a really nice hood in that it already has holes at the top to let air out. :)

While the Taurus seems to run between $600-700 it does include the hood and I've never felt cold in it.

Go dry..............

I know it is crazy expensive, but in the long run it will be cheaper.............and you will be much happier.............

Whites Fusion seems to be a great suit and not in the $2000 plus range..........

Lots of my friends have found deals on eBay.............

What drives me crazy, is all the "intermediate" gear I have bought because I did not think I could afford the "top" stuff............now it just sits un-used..............

Hope this helps.............M

Good, used drysuits can easily be had for the same price as what you're quoting here. Maybe not as sexy as a DUI or a Fusion, they will keep you dry and warm. AND they'll hold their value if/when you sell, unlike a new wetsuit.

Hope we've confused the hunt for ya! :D

VI

so you could spend $1k now on 2 wetsuits and put off buying 2 drysuits for a while (read to long...) or you could spend $1k now on a drysuit and wait to buy the other until you can afford it or you could just do it and spend the money now.

instead of buying the suit and the undergarments and a p-valve and... just get the suit(s) and buy everything else as its affordable. If your diving the great lakes its foolish to dive wet at any time of the year. I waited like you want to and got a drysuit after 150 dives in this cold water and I fully believe its the worst mistake I ever made. If I could do it all over a DS would have been my first piece of kit.

If you call mike at dive right in scuba I'm sure he can set you up with a fusion suit with tech skin and pockets for an affordable price and you wont have 2 useless wetsuits sitting around gathering dust next year.

Hey Potato Cod, how have you been...Have you gone out this year yet? I haven't, air temps have been too cold.

Anyways, you met my wife, she's pretty sensitive to the cold, and she has raynauds phenomenon. She and I both dive locally in a 7mm jumpsuit...Chose this cause 1 piece means less leakage than a Farmer John. Then on top of that we use a 7mm hooded vest that goes to mid thigh. Then we both use the same 5mm gauntlet style gloves.

The oceanic wetsuit is high quality, fury liner, neck, wrist and ankle seals, big padded zipper. My wife never gets cold, and has yet to get raynauds underwater. And we've been down to 53 degree water. I have an El Cheapo 7mm Neosport suit, it leaks like crazy and I get cold a bit quicker. But the 7 on 7 combo keeps us pretty comfortable. But Steph does complain its "claustrophobic" feeling on land

Just to qualify it, I've only done river drifts and the quarry...Not sure about repetive diving on a lake erie charter..don't know how cold the water is at depth. Enclosed are links to our gear, total you could get this set up for ~$250

In mid summer I can do a river drift without the vest, but I'm chilled a bit at the end of a 40-50 min dive. Any other time when the water is less low 70's we're in the 7 on 7.

Oceanic Farallon 7mm Full Womens Wetsuit reviews and discounts, Oceanic

Bare 7mm Arctic Vest, Mens

Deep See 5MM Thermocline Gauntlet Glove

BTW- Local guys who dive dry look so comfortable in thier loose fitting toasty suits. I'd love to try a drysuit just to know what it feels like...

I dive dry with a White's Fusion...I love it! I got mine at Scuba Toys for $1188. My husband found a great deal on a DUI drysuit on eBay. It you watch you can get some really good deals. It was a very good investment, we dive quite a few lakes and going dry we can extend the dive season a little longer :)

Don't bother with the intermediate step. If you're serious about diving, the wetsuit will be a waste of money. I live in the great white north and only own a 3mm full for the tropics and a Whites Fusion drysuit. Even in California, I used a drysuit and dove 4-6 times a day on a liveaboard and was happy as a clam (with the exception of a leak or two in my rental drysuit). Everyone else aboard was in a 7mm and it was hard to hear them talk over the chattering of their teeth by the time the 4, 5, 6 or 7th dive. It was funny watching them run to the shower after each dive on the 2nd day.

There is a bit of a learning curve and sticker shock is a big pill to swallow, but in the end I think it was the right decision. Multiple dive days are a killer in a wetsuit even in parts of Mexico like Cabo. Like others have said shop around look for deals.

Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom