Help me choose a coldwater wetsuit, need advice ASAP :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GOAT

Registered
Reaction score
First, thank in advance for any replies.

I want to get into cold/cool water diving .... NOW :) i've got that itch and i just have to get back in the water. I dive at a local lake where the current surface temp readings are 53 or so right now. It's a deep lake (over 200' in the river channel) but i tend to stay pretty shallow. i have no intention to go deeper than 60' and in all honesty i prefer to stay 30' or above. I will be getting a 5 or 7mm hood with 7mm boots (my 5mm boots now just ain't gonna cut it). I'm debating on 5 mil gloves or sticking with my 3mil gauntlet gloves.

Ok, i've narrowed it down to 4 wetsuits (other suggestions are still welcomed - within price limits of 200 or less). links are just for info, doesn't mean i'm going to buy from the place.

Tilos 7/5mm semi-dry - $150
semi-dry

Tilos 7mm superstretch - $200
superstretch

Akona 7mm - $145 (elsewhere)
akona

Sea Elite 6.5mm 2 piece USED - $75
sea elite
Only problem is that this suit is 2x, it fits very tight though except for in my forearms which is why i think i'll probably pass on the suit. my current gloves would keep the water out or from rushing in. but it isn't "tight until it gets close to my elbow.

Which is going to be warmer? I'm 6'0", 190lbs, 34" waste with shoulders and chest that is bigger than normal, but i don't mind it being tight on my chest, the problem is my lower legs and forearms are fairly skinny. However, i would call my size normal and any generic cut should fit me well. The reason i state this is i'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not i should get a large, largeTall, or medium. the only other wetuit i've worn underwater is a XL 3/2 neosport that fits me pretty dang snug. But i realize even a better fit is needed for cooler water.

Are superstetches/hyperstetches as warm as normal suits? i've read they aren't on this board and elsewere.

would the semi-dry be warmer do to the better seals? is the 7/5 enough for just 1 dive a day in 50 degree water?

Right now i'm leaning towards the Semi-Dry size large-tall.

Just wanted to say that I dive in cold water, and I have the 7mil Akona. I love it! Last dive was New Years Day at the quarry in 48 degree water. I stayed warm in the suit, and I had on 5mil gloves. I'm sort of small (at least I think I am), and with the 7 mil suit, 5mil gloves, and I think my Akona boots are 3 or 5mil, I was fine. My feet are usually the first to get cold. All of my wetsuits, hoods, beanies, gloves and boots are Akona and I love em.

I wanted to add that one of the guys I was diving with had on a Scubapro semi-dry suit. He also had on a hooded vest underneath it. After the dive when he took off the wetsuit his hooded vest wasn't very wet. Just damp to the touch, so I guess the seals did a good job of keeping most of the water out.

I think we are very close in size. I'm 5'11", 195lbs. and I dive cold water in Illinois. My last dive was in October in Lake Michigan and the water temp was around a balmy 60 degrees. I purchased a two piece Henderson Neo-Sport 7MM in XL. In my opinion, you get a little more flexibility in a two piece and the Neo-Sport would be in your price range.

When I dove in October, everyone else on the boat was diving with a dry suit and would ask me after the dive if I was cold, I was fine in my wetsuit.

Good Luck,
Sam :11ztongue

Goat,

One thing you might want to consider, you said you are larger in the chest area and some tf the suits fit real tight, you might want to try buying seprate size's in a 2 peice suit. That way you have a tight fit all over not just around the chest area. I would definatly get a 7mm I've dove mine in 40 degree water with no real problems, Started to get a little chilly 20min into the dive but nothing I was worried about. But I have a drysuit now so I am never cold nor wet :D

Thanks for the replies. The Itch was a little two big just to scratch and forget about it, so I placed an order for the Akona 7mm fullsuit. The Large Akona seems to fit my specs fairly well.

Will report back soon with how it worked. Now I get to play the game of sit and wait for the UPS man...

I love that game, so much suspence :D I did a happy dance in the middle of the post office when the guy walked out with a big box I knew to be my drysuit :wink:

GOAT:
Thanks for the replies. The Itch was a little two big just to scratch and forget about it, so I placed an order for the Akona 7mm fullsuit. The Large Akona seems to fit my specs fairly well.

Will report back soon with how it worked. Now I get to play the game of sit and wait for the UPS man...

Don't you have a local source so you can try suits on for fit rather than ordering blind over the internet?

I'm not totally against online buying, but for gear where fit is a concern it just makes sense to pay a little more to get something that fits just right the first time -- without returns or compromises. I have bought exposure protection on-line and mail order, and every time had fit/quality/size issues. No more for my money.

theskull

my local shop is an hour drive...

and other than suits being tight on my shoulders and chest i think i'm standard shape, so i go buy their sizing charts. if it doesn't fit.. .then it'll get sent back :p i've checked the sizing charts of other brands that i have worn for comparison. so i'm not really worried about a good snug fit.

happy dance coming thursday!!!

I prefer Harvey's suits over all others. The company is base in Washington and is family owned so they do cost more than your other choices. Your body size seems normal so you may not need to search like I do for a suit. I'm 5'10" 230 with a 46" chest 36" waist and 22" thighs, so as you can see I don't have an average build. They are the only company that fits me off the rack with their 2xl short size. They are the only company I know of that adds short, normal, or tall to all their sizes. Their website is under development right now but you can call them for a catalog at 1-800-347-0054.

By all means wear the 5mm gloves in 50 degree water; 7mm is even better and more of a challenge.

i bought some 5mm hyperstretch gloves and 7mm hyperstretch boots.

Thanks for the Harvey number. I might have to tell my stepdad to give them a call. it's very hard for him to fit in anything not hyper/superstretch. he's a big man with a 52" chest, 19" calves, huge thighs etc etc but just a 36" waist., and 5"11, 240lbs. You think a short XL or XXL would fit him? I'm really trying to keep him away from Hyperstretch as he is Extremely rough on things, i think he would ruin it in 2 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom