Help me choose a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want simple, I would say TG-4.

For a very versatile system that can do a lot very well, the Rx100 with wet lenses for wide angle and macro is tough to beat for the money...

I like my tg-4 setup (it really is a nice simple system to start out with) but I suspect in the near future I might convince myself I "need" to upgrade to the rx100. It'll cost some money for the camera and housing but my uwl-04 can mount to a couple different housings for the rx100, so at least I can retain my wal and my ys-03, and probably add a second strobe and then have my tg-4 as a backup just in case for trips.

The 1" sensor of the rx100 vs 1/2.3" of the tg-4 sounds like a good upgrade. My local diving is deep and in lowish vis (30-40ft) and I just think the tiny sensor of the tg-4 is going to be a limitation in these conditions... dive report from this weekend with some shots with my tg-4 in deep low light water Destin diving (tg-4 content)

True. But, with a TG-4 or RX100, you have no choice of lenses....

I believe there are a few options for WAL for the rx100, and I know there are a couple for the tg-4. I'm not sure if there are multiple options for macro though.

I believe there are a few options for WAL for the rx100, and I know there are a couple for the tg-4. I'm not sure if there are multiple options for macro though.

True. I wasn't talking about wet lenses. I was responding to a comment about how a Meikon housing for a camera with interchangeable lenses (like an Olympus micro Four Thirds camera) will pretty much restrict you to only one lens. Which is no worse than buying a fixed lens camera (like the TG-4 or RX100). For any of those, you still have plenty of WA and macro wet lenses options.

I am trying to decide myself between the TG-4 and Sony RX100 ll. I want it simple point, and shoot. I don't want to deal with settings.

I am in a similar situation deciding between the two. I did some research and you can get a rx100 mark 2 + meikon housing for about 600$, and a tg4 + oly housing for about the same price. I believe the video quality of the tg4 to be lower, but also I guess that the rx100 is harder to operate and will require manual settings.

I am in a similar situation deciding between the two. I did some research and you can get a rx100 mark 2 + meikon housing for about 600$, and a tg4 + oly housing for about the same price. I believe the video quality of the tg4 to be lower, but also I guess that the rx100 is harder to operate and will require manual settings.

Not really. The Sony has full auto if you want it. And full manual if you want that. White balance is not great, however, but filters or lights can solve that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom