Help me choose a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone, sorry I have not replied. I have been out of town with limited internet connection.

have you considered buying another g10? ebay has lots of them.

if you really want to "upgrade" i find it helps to make a list of new / improved features required.

In regards to your questions, I use the camera on one or two vacations a year. I typically dive 10-14 dives a week during a 7 day vacation taking anywhere between 50-100 photos a dive. I do like to take some videos and need the ease of switching between the 2. I would like to be able to take some macro. I bought the strobe because of all the blue in the photos especially on deeper dives, (I dive up to 100 feet). i have mostly used the underwater setting on the G10, as I did not know what settings to use when diving. I just love taking photos of all kinds, but wish they were sharper and less blue - I only had 1 dive with the strobe before the vacation was over.

I would also use the camera at some sporting events and general snapshots of family. Also vacation land shots.

Thanks

I am trying to decide myself between the TG-4 and Sony RX100 ll. I want it simple point, and shoot. I don't want to deal with settings. I have duel Sea Dragon 2500 lights. I will use it for video mostly. I have a GoPro now. Will I get better video with one of these cameras than I get with my GoPro? I have the old Hero3 silver.
Thanks

I am trying to decide myself between the TG-4 and Sony RX100 ll. I want it simple point, and shoot.
While the former is a rather simple point-and-shoot, the latter is not. If you are eager to pay $550+ for the camera, you'd better learn how to use it, or this is just a waste of money.

I can't give you comparisons with others; when my G10's lens extension system died, and I saw how expensive getting another would be, I picked up a refurb G16 from Canon directly around Black Friday last year for $250. The FantaSea housing was considerably more expensive, but as a point-&-shooter not using an external strobe for still shots, so far I'm happy. Only thing is, the resolution isn't so high that it's likely to enable a full page cover in the largest Blurb landscape style photo books I get made sometimes (family year book each year, basically), but otherwise, a sweet camera.

I don't do manual, and I didn't want the shallower depth of field a larger sensor brings. Different people, different needs.

Richard.

If you want simple, I would say TG-4.

For a very versatile system that can do a lot very well, the Rx100 with wet lenses for wide angle and macro is tough to beat for the money, but getting pricier and not super easy to get the best out of. Macro is harder than with many a simple point and shoot, for example. I shoot the mark I with an Inon strobe and Inon wide and macro lenses and like it a lot. Hits a sweet spot in terms of size and capability for me. I aim for 20 dives per year (some years more, some less), and I have other cameras that would do great underwater (Olympus E-M1 and Sony A7r), but the cost of housing them would be prohibitive to me, the size and weight for traveling annoying, and I like easy swapping between wide and macro on a single dive.

This pic doesn't display, for me. And when I click the link it gives me a ScubaBoard error. Just FYI.

For a very versatile system that can do a lot very well, the Rx100 with wet lenses for wide angle and macro is tough to beat for the money, but getting pricier and not super easy to get the best out of. Macro is harder than with many a simple point and shoot, for example. I shoot the mark I with an Inon strobe and Inon wide and macro lenses and like it a lot. Hits a sweet spot in terms of size and capability for me. I aim for 20 dives per year (some years more, some less), and I have other cameras that would do great underwater (Olympus E-M1 and Sony A7r), but the cost of housing them would be prohibitive to me, the size and weight for traveling annoying, and I like easy swapping between wide and macro on a single dive.

You can get a RX100 Mk II for close to $500. You can get a Meikon housing for it for around $250. That camera with WA and diopter wet lenses will produce some very good-looking photos. If I were buying new, that's what I would go for.

OTOH, I got a used Olympus E-M10 for less money than a new RX100 Mk II and the Meikon housing was the same price either way. It also is, I believe, a very capable setup.

You can get a RX100 Mk II for close to $500. You can get a Meikon housing for it for around $250. That camera with WA and diopter wet lenses will produce some very good-looking photos. If I were buying new, that's what I would go for.

OTOH, I got a used Olympus E-M10 for less money than a new RX100 Mk II and the Meikon housing was the same price either way. It also is, I believe, a very capable setup.

Agreed. The thing with the Meikon housings is that you have less choice in terms of which lens you can use, and there are fewer wet lens options for MFT than there are for smaller sensor cameras, from what I've gleaned. There are the nauticam offerings, that even work on full-frame cameras, but those are very, very expensive (1000 for the wet wideangle, few hundred for the macro) with little to no used market. I got all my Inon wet lenses used, often less than half of new retail, and they work great. I do have a pricier housing (Acquapazza aluminum unit), and have added an AD bayonet adapter for the wet lenses, because I don't like having to screw/unscrew glass underwater.

Shots from my latest dive trip using an RX100, my first real outing with a strobe, which helps immesurably. Underwater photography is challenging!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskAP5Cjw

Also keep an eye out for Olympus micro four thirds cameras with Olympus brand housings, which I've seen go on sale for pretty ridiculously low prices from time to time. Oly makes nice (plastic) housings and has a very wide range of available ports and lenses should you wish to upgrade at a later point in time.

Agreed. The thing with the Meikon housings is that you have less choice in terms of which lens you can use

True. But, with a TG-4 or RX100, you have no choice of lenses....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom