HELP! Masks always leak!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you use oils or creams on you face before diving as this may not help

If I may, I'd suggest you focus both on solving any practical issue with the mask AND work on getting used to the feel of water on your face or in your eyes. Its obviously not supposed to be in the mask but getting water in your eyes or up your nose every once in a while is sort of inherent to diving and should not be too much of a cause of worry or it will ruin the fun.

I say this assuming that the goal (beyond having a mask that does work properly for you) is also reducing stress.

If you did not reach a certain level of comfort with mask clearing and water in your eyes during the course and subsequent dives, then that is something to work at rather than avoid. You can practise these things at home in your bathroom or maybe have an instructor break down the sequence for you again if needed to target any potential problem areas. Done right it really is effortless. Its been a long time since a mask clear caused me to get water up my nose - but thats the result of conscious and deliberate airway control. Like someone said breathing through ones nose is very common and often causes some initial discomfort during the course that, if left unchecked may linger after as a sense of insecurity.

I'm confident that this is an issue that can be ironed out so you get the maximum amount of enjoyment out of diving (its too damn expensive to not be enjoyed ;o)

goldentouch -- Ditto to all the fit tips here. Don't worry, you won't choke. Try to think of it just as an annoying situation to be addressed. You might want to consider practicing this skill outside of scuba (say in the shallow end of a pool), just to get more comfortable.

I had a similar fit problem too. I have a narrow temple area and a few creases. Then throw in curly hair causing drips and little trickles on the forehead. UGH. I use a bit of water & aloe gel to defeat the hair and now have had excellent luck with a Tusa Serene. I LOVE the SERENE! It has a great range of strap adjustment.

The other thing to watch for is that most of the new masks have a narrower amount of skirt under the nose area. Any facial expression or wiggling nose can cause a significant annoying leak. Case in point -- the Mares Liquid Skin I used once and is now looking for a new home.

Good luck!

Something I discovered recently was, I was breaking the seal when I equalized my ears. The area between the lens and the nose piece of my mask was not big enough to let my fingers pinch my nose without moving the mask, breaking the seal. If all the other suggestions don't work look at that. You might need a mask with more clearance around the nose. By the way OMS ICU2 small mask great clearance cheap.

My wife has trouble with hair in her mask, how do you put on your mask over your head with the mask or place the mask on your face then pull the strap over your head works the best for her.She also has a neoprene cover on the strap so it slides easily.
I don't like water in my nose either so the mask I have is self purging, if you breathe through your nose it just pushes the water out. But sometimes the valve makes it hard to equalize.
When were in Mexico a young lady was having trouble with her mask constantly flooding one of the dive masters used a Bic lighter and gently heated up the edges of the mask to soften it in the area were it was leaking and to my amazement it worked. I was curious how he new to do this, but he couldn't tell me. The young lady was happy that it stop leaking

Last edited:
My face is rather thin and has some creases. It still seems that there should be some mask out there that will work.

The Atomic Frameless is one of the few masks which fits me (I have a thin/angular face as well), maybe you should try it? It comes in two sizes.

Other things - such as moving your face around - will create a bit of a leak.

I'm surprised this is the only post that mentioned this.

A lot of people move their mouths while they are diving. They could be smiling, adjusting the bite on the regulator, or anything else along those lines. That kind of movement will make little momentary breaks in your seal and let in water. Learn to keep an absolute poker face while you dive, and you may solve your problem. I know one person in particular who bought 4-5 masks before realizing this was his problem all along. He now has 4-5 masks that all fit him just fine, and a lot less money in the bank.

Mine leaks too!
I'm not bad at clearing the mask because it doesnt fill all the way up...it just fills around my nose area! It's because I have a typical "chinese" nose haha....so it doesnt fill the nose area, and when I equalize, I have to really dig my fingers in to get to my nose!

But when I do my mask gets flooded around the nose bit...hmm...doesn;t really bother me though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom