HELP! Mares Puck Air no "Safe Stop" when at or below 50 bar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to see this thread still alive...havent looked at it in several years!

I have a few hundred dives on the computer. Overall it is decent. The safety stop issue is ridiculous. But as one person put it, it helps defer liability to the diver. Too bad they couldnt have just put in a flashing countdown with low air. But that isnt my main complaint with the computer.

The biggest annoyance is that its algorithm is far more conservative than any other system. Typical dive: take remaining ndl down to a few mins and start coming up with say 1 to 5 mins. My Suunto d4i gives me credit for the ascent
This comp just doesnt like to do that as fast. So i end up putting it into deco sometimes while my suunto is well clear.

Costs me a longer stop coming up. Maybe not an awful thing but annoying that it is so slow to give credit. On my last LOB in Komodo I used it in bottom time mode for that reason.

Personally if I were considering computers now I would look at other options. I do like having it attached to my rig though.

Maybe go to leisurepro.com and have a look. There are several out there. I would not opt for wireless if that were my only SPG though. I've seen too many people with issues.

If I had it to do over again I might get just a plain SPG and a wireless monitor for my D4i. The D4i is my favorite computer (I have Mares Puck Pro, Air, Sport, D4i, and Oceanic Geo 2.0 in the family).

Your Mares Puck show tank pressure as well? I never realized that Puck is a AI computer.

LP is selling it for $150.00 but there is no mention on tank pressure as part of its feature.

Your Mares Puck show tank pressure as well? I never realized that Puck is a AI computer.
These are different models. There are the "normal" Puck and the Puck Pro which are wrist computers and than there is the "Puck Air", which is a console computer and as a console computer has air integration

Yes, puck air is a fully integrated computer. That's how it knows that you have under 50 bar.

It will only handle 1 tank and nitrox <50% O2.

Not doing a safety stop countdown is not the end of the world. You can look at the bottom time, round up and use that. At worst, you end up doing an extra minute. I rather have the numerical ascend rate, since going up the final 5 meter, it is important to go up as slow as possible, thus being able to see one's ascend rate in the 2-3m/min (5-10ft) range is beneficial.

On the other hand, if I do get another computer, I would likely give this one to the wife, since she comes out usually with a bit more air than me, and when we do come up at the same time, I am the one doing the safety stop countdown.

Doesn't the Puck still show "total dive time" under 50 bar? If it does, why couldn't you use that to wait the 3 min safety stop. For example, if dive time is 60 minutes, just wait till it says 63 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom