Help! Mares Isotherm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajmataz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just received my Mares Isotherm today. It's a fantastic suit and I love it. I ordered a size 3 (M/3) and it fits my legs well but it's pretty tight upper body, the chest/shoulders/arms (I lift pretty often).

Does the suit 'break in' at all? Will it loosen up like a pair of jeans, or will remain this tight and stiff? Should I go with the next size up?

ajmataz once bubbled...
I just received my Mares Isotherm today. It's a fantastic suit and I love it. I ordered a size 3 (M/3) and it fits my legs well but it's pretty tight upper body, the chest/shoulders/arms (I lift pretty often).

Does the suit 'break in' at all? Will it loosen up like a pair of jeans, or will remain this tight and stiff? Should I go with the next size up?

I'd say go for the next size up. It doesn't really break in, and if you are stretching it too much, then the seams will start leaking relatively soon. Nothing some Aquaseal won't fix, but no need to do that if you can help it.

I have a problem with the Mares Isotherm suit I recently bought being too large! I have an L size, and I am 180lbs and just under 6 feet tall with a relatively slender frame. I understand that this semi-dry suit isn't supposed to be as snug as a standard wetsuit, but there seems to be a lot of air in the back area underneath the zipper (which also feels a bit stiff in the back - is that normal?) Is the suit really supposed to feel like there's a bubble in the back (I haven't dived with it yet).

I'm trying to figure out whether this semi-dry just has a very different feel or if it is in fact too big for me. Because the seller, based on my height and weight, says that my size is L not M. And there doesn't seem to be an ML size anywhere.

Delhi Diver:
Is the suit really supposed to feel like there's a bubble in the back (I haven't dived with it yet).

Hence your problem. When you get into the water, you should crack the neck seal and 'burp' the suit. This is very normal for an Isotherm, relax.

Boogie711:
Hence your problem. When you get into the water, you should crack the neck seal and 'burp' the suit. This is very normal for an Isotherm, relax.

Delhi Diver,

If yours is like mine it also has a "hump" just under the zipper and it traps air unless I rolled over. I am not sure why but with any luck it will be gone when I get it back from Superior for alterations. ( I was one those that slipped between two sizes). As far as "stiff" in the shoulders, it is going to feel weird if you aren't use to a dry zipper which doesn't give like a wet suit zipper.

ajmataz,
I would go to a Large.

Who do you go to for alterations (although I will try "burping" first -- thanks)?

I am having an issue with mine as well... I unfortunetly also slipped between the 2 sizes. Maybe if I loose some 20lbs it might help a bit :p... doubt it would help with the hood though. Forgot to mention mine is the older version of the isotherm. I got a quote from a place online that would enlarge the hood and arms (circumfrence) for $40. Im sure the chest wouldn't be that much more. PM me if your interested in the place.

Delhi Diver:
Who do you go to for alterations (although I will try "burping" first -- thanks)?

I sent mine in to Superior . It comes up as dry suit repair but they also do wet as well as semidry. Also do a search for "alterations" and you will find more.
I talked to a couple places in FL and sent them pictures. They wanted to cut the suit down the seam in the back and adjust it, sounded good. But after talking with Mark at Superior, he changed my mind. If they would have taken it out of the back it would have changed the entire suits symatry (sp?). This would have caused my shoulders to be pulled back. In some places I needed 3" takes out so it was a major cutting. After thinking about what he said it made total sense and I was glad that I didn't send it to FL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom