Help in locating a RB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the KISS RB at www.jetsam.ca. Its light, only weighting in at 50 lbs with the two 13 cuft cylinders. You can pick one up for a very good price. I currently looking for a RB as well and I think I'm going with KISS because of its weight and is easily maintained by the user. I'm going on a test dive with it on Sunday so I'll see then.

undah20 once bubbled...
padiscubapro, The domino's are falling, you mentioned American, and you may want to check Northwest's baggage restrictions - 50lbs. Also, if you go to places like the Galapagos, from Bonaire to Curacao, Fijiian islands, (for examples) or half the puddle-jumpers out there; don’t just concentrating on Continental and it's Continental Micronesia flights, you’ll see, you'll be paying some nice fees to bring your turtle. It’s only the beginning. - But hey, what's a Ferrari good for if you can't afford to put gas in it right? ...veroom, veroom, pedal to the metal! :)

Just as a small update since this old post..
I have flown continental who lowered the limit to 50 (but I'm elite status so I'm still allowed 70 so it doesn't count"
Virgin atlantic, British airwairs, American, Delta and still haven't been charged any overweight fees and no bribes.. I guess its how nice you are at checkin...

to get the Inspiration under 50 you have to put the cylinders in your dive bag, seperate from the unit.. Which I started doing since I am now using a hard travel case that weights 20 lbs so I can keep it under 70lbs.. The fee, if you get charged (50-70) lbs is usually $25..

As for tanks, 19cuft al tanks do fit albeit alittle snug (you might have to bring your own valves)...I prefer the steels anyway..

The Meg and Mini meg also appear to travel well since they can be broken up pretty easily..

A suggestion that hasn't been broached yet is getting a chasis from Enrique (tech dive tools) for the inspiration, its much smaller and can take just about any cylinder.. It can be had in SS, titanium and soon aluminum (the lightest). The current version is not on his website yet.. but the chasis weighs 10 for titanium, 15 for SS, not sure on the al weight yet but probably around 6 lbs.. the rest of the unit is pretty light.. and can be reduced further with a few other mods..

I know someone who in his "travel" rig swapped out the apeks regs for scubapro regs (I suggested this)and did away with the manifold, thats about 6 lbs less (give or take a bit), He also had an al bracket (to hold the scrubber and tanks) made so he didn't have to travel with the shell or tanks. He usually travels with it in his "carry on" bag (the type most airline crew use).

I have seen a YBOD rig where the guy just had a slightly larger than normal backplate and 3 metalsub quick release clamps one holding on the scruber and two more for any size tanks. Split lungs and....well thats it.

Very light, very cheap and can take any size tank and will fit into a carry on bag. Strip down for washing is easy.

The only thing I didnt like about that set up was the cables and the top of the scrubber was exposed. Judging by the number of rust coloured scratches on the top of my unit Id like some kind of cover.

Back
Top Bottom