Help in locating a RB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shas, thanks for the great link. I'll look into the Prism Topaz more closely, I believe that design was built by Peter Readey - and steam machines is the contact?

That's too bad about the Evolution n/a, if it ever gets off the ground for the rest of us, I'd like a chance to check it out.

Most of these modified Dolphins seem definitely unstable out-of-the-backyard-workshed type of thing using the KISS methods; kind of what they used to do in the 'old days' - manually dose yourself before you blackout, or watch how rich you love your pie, you might end up giving yourself the shakes :)

madmole, No, it's not 'by the book'. Running air on the SCR is a matter of workload and the right orifices. The math is there and not complicated and neither is the diving. It's just not worth the payoff in the long run unless your familiar with the site and the workload will be low (but who knows what's always going to happen, right? And who knows when OC either). You don't have to run the 32 orifice every time, only high workloads - with lower workloads, the more flow rate options you have, all while still having a breathable FO2. Then you also monitor with the oxy2 and oxy-transmitter in combo - 'the triple threat' - Clean/inspect orifices before each run besides the usual tests and flow rate checks. Finally, I'm not diving without OC bailout online, and you could also use a OC travel gas as an added bonus. It's not child's play, but then it's not rocket science either. This was around before your computers were using voting logic.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys/gals?! My main inquiry is for streamlining and weight reduction with a 'safer' and more logical instrument.

padiscubapro, The domino's are falling, you mentioned American, and you may want to check Northwest's baggage restrictions - 50lbs. Also, if you go to places like the Galapagos, from Bonaire to Curacao, Fijiian islands, (for examples) or half the puddle-jumpers out there; don’t just concentrating on Continental and it's Continental Micronesia flights, you’ll see, you'll be paying some nice fees to bring your turtle. It’s only the beginning. - But hey, what's a Ferrari good for if you can't afford to put gas in it right? ...veroom, veroom, pedal to the metal! :)

Has anyone have experience with the FROG from Rebreather Technology (LRT) with the computer and PPO2 monitors? Hey, 34lbs with cylinders, it’s worth asking about….

And not just Drägers. There are several places where you can rent (or get certified on) Inspirations. :D From the Maledives and the Red Sea to the Caymans and Belize. Just gotta look for them.

The Prism from Steam Machines is only 38 lbs. and is the unit the Navy has gust picked. It fits in the case and flies at no extra cost. Great Unit. Go to steammachines.com

The Evolution has been at DEMA, for pictures of it check
http://www.therebreathersite.nl/
As usual APD's website lacks info. There was a 'first dive' article in the German dive magazine 'tauchen', written by Walter Comper. He is supposed to write one on that unit for Advanced Diver Magazine. Might want to look out for that.
He dove one of the prototypes shown at DEMA, the following specs were given in the article: 2 litre tanks (instead of 3 on the Inspiration), scrubber size 2 kg (instead of 2,25kg), weight 22 kg.

As stated above, the Prism is a pretty small unit. You can also have a look at Innerspace's Mini Meg, a downsized version of the Megalodon.
http://www.customrebreathers.com/
is their website, talk to Leon.

As for the question why are CCRs heavier? Because the Dolphin is about as simple and flimsy as it gets. You ever checked out any other unit?

For size comparrison check out the following links.
To see the Evolution next to the Inspiration:
http://millenniumdivers.com/prod02.htm
To see the Mini Meg next to the full size Megalodon:
http://www.customrebreathers.com/minimeg/index.html

Thanks you guys, that's a lot of great info and help for me! I appreciate it!

I've been doing some of my research on many of those sites, though I didn't have the Mini Meg info before. I missed DEMA last year as I was on a trip in the Galapagos then to Cocos and I figure I can always see a convention or two any time :) Though I am going to DEMA this year.

I have not formally checked out any of the other rebreathers as yet, but I'm certified on the Dolphin and had exprience with it for a numbers of years now. The Dolphin is just too limiting for my furture needs and desires unless I modify it a lot or take unnecessary risks, whereas there are better instruments for getting the job done, i.e. CCR.

Besides diving in cold lake waters, I enjoy an average of 3-4 dive trips abroad each year - lucky me, so having the desire of a more compact size and lighter weight BUT reliable CCR system intrigues me more than the bigger boys on the market.

Some local CCR trainers are giving me some try-outs on a few models for the pool (Inspriation, Azimuth, Ray), and hopefully their ordered Megalodon will arrive soon (as it is supposedly shipping) They're intriqued about the Prism, but they haven't seen a working model in the field as of yet to give me their feedback. That's where you guys have been most helpful and thank you for being gracious with your time.

The many CCR diver near me are all about the Inspiration, but as I started with this thread, I'm not interested in it because of size and weight. Sure, we could start threads about Cis Lunar versus Inspiration, versus brand X and Y and, etc, etc, but the point is moot on those guys - too big! I've got the money to spend for time, training, and the gear, then more time and training, and more time and training.... I just like to hear all the different views on looking for the most QUALITY product that fits the parameters I desire. Small, compact, kickass quality.

You've been great help - I'm really liking the feedback on the Prism and Mini Meg. I'm interested also and awaiting word from APD on the Evloution when it becomes avail - they said they'll contact me when it starts to become reality. But please feel free to add any thing else you want to share on the subject.

About $350 will modify a Drager Ray to include
seperate bailout, system flush (incase the loop
is overworked or you suspect CO2 buildup), and a 150 depth. No special tools, get the tanks where
you land, take the rest in your carry on.

Deepblueh20, that sounds very interesting, how would you recommend the modification? I've always looked at the Ray as a great training RB with some limitations for depth. Where do you recommend the modifications and/or information on it? (You can send me a private message if you want?) The size of that RB is great. And for not going "too deep" the SCR are an interesting thought. Please let me know what more info you can provide. Thanks!

What would you need from the boat if you were doing liveaboard trips with 20-30 dives?

How much would the scrubber weigh?

I am interested in entering the RB side of things because of the reduction in noise only.

Its for photography , my camera gear and dive gear normally weighs in at 30KG which is already a problem here in Asia as the standard baggage allowance is only 20KG.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom