Help in finalizing regulator choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Well, yesterday i bought my first piece of reg kit, and hopefully it will last me a very long time. I bought the XTX-200 with the XTX-50 octo from Phil at Divesports.com.

A couple of things led to my decision; one, an unbeatable offer, and two, finding out that the local Apeks dealer on our island is my girlfriend's second cousin! As i said from the beginning the ability to get it serviced locally was very important and i don't think it could get any easier than that!

Some may see it as overkill to go straight to a top-of-the-line setup from the very beginning. I can imagine a conversation in the near future when someone comments "Wow, that's an impressive setup; you must be very experienced," to which my response would be "just certified this year". However, what guided my decision-making more than anything else was to avoid buying new gear only to replace it again and again as i evolve as a diver. I hope this makes both common sense and monetary sense in the long run.

Thanks again.

theatis:
A couple of things led to my decision; one, an unbeatable offer, and two, finding out that the local Apeks dealer on our island is my girlfriend's second cousin! As i said from the beginning the ability to get it serviced locally was very important and i don't think it could get any easier than that!
Unless of course you break up and you are suddenly facing rather expensive servicing bills (or worse...:bangboom: ).

Delhi Diver:
Unless of course you break up and you are suddenly facing rather expensive servicing bills (or worse...:bangboom: ).

Are you implying that a reg technician in the family isn't reason enough to marry someone? :D

Of course, all kidding aside, girlfriend doesn't convey much, we've been together for years and will get married as soon as we both finish our doctorates.

Oh, and if I need another reason, this guy is supposed to be one of the best on the island for tech courses, so Nitrox, Planned Deco, Trimix, the sky's the limit, all at "family" prices i hope!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom