Help Identifying Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAPC0703

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I am looking at buying these regulators and wanted to get an idea of their age and if they are still serviceable. One is a Magnum but the other doesn’t have a model on it.

Attachments

• 108D8B66-3840-4A26-9699-0F0CD35ACD60.jpeg
    108D8B66-3840-4A26-9699-0F0CD35ACD60.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 60
These Sherwoods 2nds seem to be SRB 3200/3300 Magnums or Magnum/Blizzards.
They are from the late 80ties, but they look like in good condition.
Normally those types of 2nds are more collectors items, but parts shouldn't be difficult to get, they are pretty the same as in later models.
Very simple and reliable, but I wouldn't use them for dives beyond recreational diving, I don't think they would pass nowadays CE Standards.
But you would look definitely very experienced, when you show up with them on a dive site.
You also have the 1st stage?

There are just old regulators and then there are Scubapro regulators and the ubiquitous USD/AL 1085. Anything else is just an old regulator. Sorry for being a Scubapro snob all of a sudden, lol. And I suppose there is a reason that he who gave his name to Hogarthian rigging was photoed in a fairly recent interview using USD Conshelf (1085) regs.

Chunks of brass and chrome with few moving parts and a poppet seat that can be homemade with a paper punch from a tire tube (some minor exaggeration).

In other words if they are free take them and if they cost money then buy a Conshelf instead or

N

Hello,

I am looking at buying these regulators and wanted to get an idea of their age and if they are still serviceable. One is a Magnum but the other doesn’t have a model on it.

The questions are how much do they want, and are you going to service them yourself.

I service them myself, as they are quite simple, and have the same attitude that Nemrod has with his Scubapros. If you are not in inclined to self service, check with your service tech if csn service.

The one on the left is the same as one I have from 1980, and mine still works fine.

One caution with old Sherwood 2nds...
Make sure you can unscrew the little Phillips head screw that holds the lever. The old "dissimilar metals" problem. If you can't unscrew it, send the reg to @Bob DBF or throw it out.
But they're great downstream regs, with a seat-saver purge button, no less!

Take a close look at the area where the hose attaches to the housing, some Sherwoods were prone to cracking in that area. If they are cracked, then they are parts only but otherwise they are fine second stages assuming the price is right.

Take a close look at the area where the hose attaches to the housing, some Sherwoods were prone to cracking in that area.

Although I second Herman's advice, I believe the cracking had more to do with other components corroding and hamhanded disassembly rather than any issue with the plastic itself, as others have implied over the years.

he who gave his name to Hogarthian rigging was photoed in a fairly recent interview using USD Conshelf (1085) regs.
And I remember reading the article on 'The Decostop' titled "Diving Wakulla The Old School Way", where said pioneer is quoted recommending Conshelfs. Which leads me to believe he did the pioneering record cave dives using Conshelfs. You can see those guys in action here and here.

Thank you for the replies. Seller has two sets of Sherwood regulators, one set only has primary breather without a backup, only the older style on the left and the 1st stage. $30 a piece. I'm thinking I will pass on these.

My wife and I are new to diving and looking to purchase our own gear as we can. Would I be asking for trouble buying gear off eBay?

Would I be asking for trouble buying gear off eBay?

If you don't know gear really well, yes. Same goes for Craigslist, except you can inspect the gear, and if you bring a tank, actually try it.

I've got a lot of gear off Craigslist, but I started with other cheaper stuff and learned how to sniff out bad actors. I am not necessarily looking for something functional, just a good value, and I can wait forever.

One place to look for a used reg set is your LDS, if you haven't thought of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom