Help identify this Suunto computer please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could be Suunto HelO2 - Advanced mixed-gas dive computer
suunto-helo2-522.png

no other with such color of the front bezel and such shape of plastic around buttons...
BUT... HelO2 has not SUUNTO sign on the top pf the bezel...

Suunto_Helo2_Dive_Computer.jpg

It looks like Suunto Vyper Air Black - Advanced dive computer
But in white color.
Even paintings on the main glass is the same, as on your photo.not black, but white bezel :)
suunto-vyper-air-black-3521.png

Thanks for all the help and input folks. Pretty sure it’s a vyper 2. He’s selling the whole reg set with computer. The price is right. But now I’m wondering if it’s worth it. It’s probably 10 years old, though not really used much. Can one still get battery replacement kits for the computer, and how likely am I to run into problems with the reg that can’t be fixed any longer?

Whatever, do you really want a Suunto computer?

You lot can’t stop yourselves, can you?

Who is going to be first to tell him he needs a BP/W?

OP is interested enough to be inquiring on SB, may be interested enough to learn a little about deco algorithms prior to purchasing a computer. I made no brand comments, did not mention the other S brand that is oft invoked:)

Thanks for all the help and input folks. Pretty sure it’s a vyper 2. He’s selling the whole reg set with computer. The price is right. But now I’m wondering if it’s worth it. It’s probably 10 years old, though not really used much. Can one still get battery replacement kits for the computer, and how likely am I to run into problems with the reg that can’t be fixed any longer?
Batteries for the computer are a non issue. It is a common battery that Suunto has used in most models for years and years. The kit from Suunto also includes an o-ring and a couple of plastic parts they like to change along with battery. Same kit for several models.

You really didn’t include the reg in your photo, but I could see enough of the primary to tell you it is about 20 years old. Again - service kits yes, any other part, probably no. If the price still seems right, be sure to examine it carefully. Any hairline cracks on the 2nd stage box, especially by the hose fitting? I had a customer bring in a similar great deal, and turned out the 1st stage had been trashed. Probably had tipped over and hit the deck while attached to a cylinder. The inlet was slightly out of round, making it impossible to remove the hp seat/cone. Very easy to miss.

A coworker of mine is selling this computer.
Because he is a co-worker, you have many options. Its not like you are buying the equipment off ebay or Craigslist. So you have easy access to the unit and I'm sure you can take apart the console yourself since one day you will have to change the battery. You probably want to get the unit serviced - we are only talking about your life. So why not take the unit into your LDS and have them give it a simple visual inspection, put it on a spare tank and test it (does it purge/breathe). While there, you can ask them how much a service will be "and by the way, can you tell me what computer is in the unit." Go back to the seller and negotiate a better price based on the service. "Look it going to cost me another $150 to get these regs serviced; plus I probably need to get the computer battery changed by the dive shop which is another 50 bucks. I would love to buy your stuff but its acutually going to cost me another $200! So its not worth it....unless we go halfers on the service, and we knock off another $100. I mean, on Monday morning, you wouldn't want to hear them in the office announce my drowning on the weekend because you didn't get your regs serviced!"

Anyway, my final advice to you as a buyer, always be prepared to walk away if you don't feel right about a purchase. Newer and better dive equipment come into the market every day. Find out what you really want and be patient - you'll get it.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. It’s crazy (in a good way) how people on here are willing to take so much time to write out a detailed reply to help out a stranger.

I’ve already told my coworker that I’d like to bring the gear into a local dive shop to get an inspection and a quote on the servicing prior to making the purchase. I plan on being cautious about this.

Back
Top Bottom