Help----I need scallops!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as soon as I get my cert, I will pay your 25 dollars and submit to your terms...I LOVE scallops.

decapoddiver:
If our schedules worked out, I might be able to take you this season. We would split gas and launch fees (around $25).

I'll make a note to contact you in late June. I never scalloped yet, and would love to try!

Oh, and your rules are entirely reasonable.

I made the offer to Keelhaul since it appears that he has already done some and therefore knows what they are like. I don't make a habit of "introducing" folks to scalloping :) Do one on a charter first since I have at least the same requirements if not more than a charter. You can see how hard a "easy" scallop dive is where there are people helping you with gear, giving snacks and drinks and shucking your scalloping for you. These do not happen on my boat. If you want those things, do a charter :crafty:

I don't get paid to do them and since I'm at big $ in expenses (truck/boat gas, launch fee etc.) every trip, when I go I dive not babysit. If you are serous about wanting to go, PM me and I will send you my Scallop Dive Primer that I send to all buddies before we go. It clears up a bunch of potential misunderstandings.

This is what I use.

decapo, maybe you can post the tutorial for everyone to see...a little "what to do when scalloping" typa deal.

What are the State licensing requirements and legal daily harvest limits?

Thanks for the information.

Cagemaker

Careful how you word your agreements - I could be wrong, but I believe that if you ask for money, liability and licensing issues could come up.

http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/jfh/personal_other/boats/FAQ/node41.html
(scroll down a page)
"To carry any passengers for hire you need a Coast Guard license."
That URL talks about what consitutes a passenger for hire.
It appears to me that if the contribution of food, gas money, etc. is not voluntary, you need to be licensed. I am not a lawyer though!

This was very informative. I may have to use some of those techniques this Friday :11ztongue

cekberg:
It appears to me that if the contribution of food, gas money, etc. is not voluntary, you need to be licensed. I am not a lawyer though!

You are correct :wink: My brother-in-law is a lawyer.

If you plan to dive with me it darn well better be voluntary or we don't go. I will voluntarily toss your gear over the side and voluntarily allow you to swim the miles and miles back to shore and then voluntarily post your name to every scuba board I can and tell them how you think diving is free :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom