HELP! I am shopping for a boat: what is best ladder configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a boatladder.com or boatladders.com ,i can't remember. Its white powder coated and has adjustable transom angle bracket which is needed because of all transoms are angled different. It cost close to $400 but was worth it!
I am in the market in Florida for a 23-25' center console all purpose fishing/dive/party boat. what leaves me a little dejected is how remarkably poor a lot of the ladder systems are.

Many come with the integrated, telescoping three rung ladder that fits into the extended transom. Hard enough to get in the boat WITHOUT dive gear.

Then I look at where i would mount something like a 4 step Garelick. A better option, but still not ideal. Most of the boats in that size (except cats- they have great ladders and handholds) have nowhere to grab when climbing back on. I want ingress and egress to be as easy as possible given the size of the boat. I do not want to have to do a belly flop into the motor well every time I get back aboard.

Plus, I am an ex-football player and no slouch in the size department, and neither are my buddies. Everyone is over 200# and one is almost 280#. Will we rip the darn ladders out?

Please, if you have a similar situation, and boat, post pictures of your solution. This is the only thing keeping me from signing a check this weekend.

Most Charter boats and serious wreck divers on the great lakes use T Ladders. No fins have to come off in rocky water and the diver stays completely geared up upon entering the boat. This is the safest way to come into a dive boat. If the big guys have a herd time coming up a ladder then put the rungs closer together. Decide the configuration(side or stern of the boat)and have one custom made out of aluminum or stainless steel. Some fold in the middle to come up and some come completely out. Ask anyone in the Great Lakes it is the only way to go. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom