Help!! Henderson Gold Core wetsuit sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMK

Reaction score
I'm about to buy my very first wetsuit, and I think I would like to go with Henderson Gold Core 7/5 mm one piece for diving mostly in Monterey, CA. I've read many places on this board that with Henderson hyperstretch suits, you order one or even two sizes smaller than other wetsuits. But what about Henderson Gold Core suits? Do you also order something smaller or go with your regular size? Does it make a difference depending on the thickness of your suit?

And I understand that Henderson hyperstretch is the most comfortable suit to wear/put on, but how does the Henderson Gold Core compare with standard suits in terms of ease of putting it on? My legs a little bit thicker relative to the rest of my body, and I always have a hard time getting regular 7mm wetsuits over my legs.

If there are any women out there who wear Henderson Gold Core 7/5mm or 7mm, could you please advise me of your height/weight/normal clothes size and what your Gold Core 7/5 or 7mm suit size is? I understand that this is personal and possibly sensitive information, but I need the help of the group knowledge to help me choose since I can't try one on! Please feel free to PM me if you would rather not post this information.

I'm about 5'5" and weigh around 140lb. I've lost a little weight in the last year and I'm hoping to get down to 135lb. And I don't know if I should go with a size 8 or 10 for Henderson Gold Core!

Thanks for your info in advance!!!

You might be able to just give them a call and get their advice on sizing and cut, some suits are fuller cut for a size than others, but In General, for thicker suits, don't make them have to stretch much to fit you. Movement will be much more energy consuming and you'll feel tired and uncomfortable very quickly. If you are really hard to fit properly, break down and get a custom. Having finally gone that route, I kick myself in the butt for waiting so long to do it. If they have a size that's right for you, the Gold Core is an excellent suit.

Darlene

DiverMK

I have both a Gold Core and a Hyperstretch. The Gold Core I have is a 7 mm with a 5 mm core warmer. I've worn the 7 mm in San Diego at the end of October - haven't worn the core warmer at all - haven't needed it. My Hyperstretch is a 3 mm for tropics.

Hyperstretch is definitely easier to get on. I bought a size smaller with it. With the Gold Core - I bought my normal clothes size. One thing I do to aid in donning the Gold Core is to wear a skin. Yeah - I know - it defeats the purpose of the Gold Core sealing to my skin - but it's the only way I can manage to get it on! The Gold Core is definitely harder to get on, but if you're going to be diving in cooler temperatures, it's the way to go. The Hyperstretch (regardless of the thickness) won't keep you nearly as warm as the Gold Core.

Henderson is great about customizing. They can do a complete custom suit for an additional $110 or so. I was lucky enough to buy off the rack but my hubby had his Gold Core custom made. You and I are about the same size - I would suggest the 10.

Hopefully that helps. If you want to talk more, PM me - my hubby doesn't know what I weigh - no way the whole ScubaBoard is gonna know! :wink:

TotalAngel :angel:

w/ Core Warmer. I have had problems getting it pulled up enough at the legs, but I've learned how to do it. Don't just pull the whole suit on then try to pull on the legs to get them into place. Instead, have the whole thing around your ankles, and work it up. Mine goes on great like that. I use the suit here in Illinois and it is warm.

Juls

I also wear a skin with the Gold Core. I find that donning a wetsuit for me is much easier with the skin. I have a size 14 5mm and size 12 7mm. Both fit about the same for me. I also have the hooded Gold Core vest for mix and matching in different conditions. The only time I wear either of these suits is when I travel to tropical locales. The 5mm is what I wear in the Keys and the Carribbean and the 7mm is what I wear while cave diving in the Yucatan. All my other diving will find me in my DUI drysuit.

That being said......I've found this out about the Gold Core and ease of donning:

1. A skin makes it easier, like "buttah" compared to a regular neo suit
2. The GC is a pain to don if you are wet (or sweaty), or it's wet on the INSIDE....turn it inside out between dives so the gold coating dries.
3. It's easier to don if the OUTSIDE is wet. While in Cayman Brac a few weeks ago, I'd rinse my suit after the dives....and then hang it inside out in the shade so that the black neoprene would stay wet (stretches easier) and the gold coating would be dry. Before the first dive of the trip, the night before I soak the suit in the shower or tub and then turn inside out to dry the gold coating. Again, a wet wetsuit stretches easier.
4. Have a couple lycra skins with you so you always have a dry one to start the donning process with.

I really like my GC suits.....bought them both before Hyperstretch came out. My next tropical suit may be a Hyperstretch for comparative purposes, but that's a few years down the road as I only do trop diving twice per year....the rest of the year finds me in cold quarries, lakes, FL caves and the PNW.

My wife is 5'5" and 145. Size 8 GC fits fine in 3mm & 5mm (never tried 7). She was 5 lb heavier & it was still fine. GC goes on easier than N2S when dry, but when wet it is a bit harder.

I think you'd probably like the size ten. I've got the 7/5 full. It's a bear to get on. There's no way not to get sweaty while putting it on. It's a fight to the finish. It is very tight around the legs, ankles & arms, wrists. I also wear a skin under it just to aid in getting the darned thing on. It is very thick and stiff (no snide comments) with very little, if any, give. But warm & toasty.
It's a love / hate relationship. Once I'm in it, I love it.

did anyone else have this problem? it's not me, and it's not the fit of my gold core, i swear it! :)

i got my 5 mm for a liveaboard to fiji a few years ago. both divemasters on the boat -- one male, one female -- as well as a professional videographer, had the same suits and they were all in shreds. (mine has one split.)

what about shampoo instead of a lycra skin? i've heard some people say it works great with a gold core, makes it all slippery inside (no jokes, please :D), but would it break down the fabric?

kat, i couldn't agree more! sigh, between putting on a skin and struggling with the gold core, it takes me forever to gear up. i have to start as soon as i get on the boat! dm

Kat once bubbled...
It's a love / hate relationship. Once I'm in it, I love it.

I always put it halfway on before I get on the boat. I'm afraid I might fall overboard during the wrestling match.

Henderson must have fixed the seam splitting problem. Those seams holding up on my suit are like a testimonial to modern engineering. Actually, I can just picture myself, in the wetsuit & all the seams giving way at the same time. Like an explosion - pieces of neoprene flying in every direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom