Help ! Guy Gilpatric - The compleat goggler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be using the information in a forthcoming long over due article on Guy Gilpatric
Where do you plan to publish the article?

As Guy Gilpatric died on July 7, 1950 all his works are now out of copyright as this lapses 70 years after the death of the author. In other countries this occurred much earlier, but in the USA the time period required is 70 years. Now “The Compleat Goggler” can be incorporated into the downloadable libraries if any organisation cares to do it. Google Books has the book using a copy scanned from the University of California Library, but it is only searchable for text at the moment as my guess is they don't know it is out of copyright. I just sent them a message to this effect, so sooner or later if they follow their usual policy the book will appear on-line, probably as a pdf file, for anyone to read.

Reactions: OTF
A very nice thread. The late Hans Hass quoted the book on several occasions in his writings, and I even think he met Guy Kilpatrick in Antibes (French Riviera) when a high schooler on vacation. I'm sorry but my books are not hand just right now, so my memory might be faulty about this.

Concerning the book, there was one copy auctioned on Ebay some 15 or 20 years ago, but the price was really silly and far to high for me, but I'd be glad to read an ebook or a reprint of it.

@Sam Miller III

Did you ever publish the book?

Looks like his grave is alongside the 2nd fairway of Weequaic Golf Course. One of NJ’s hidden gems.

A very nice thread. The late Hans Hass quoted the book on several occasions in his writings, and I even think he met Guy Kilpatrick in Antibes (French Riviera) when a high schooler on vacation. I'm sorry but my books are not hand just right now, so my memory might be faulty about this.

Concerning the book, there was one copy auctioned on Ebay some 15 or 20 years ago, but the price was really silly and far to high for me, but I'd be glad to read an ebook or a reprint of it.
There is a small industry where beat-up ex-library copies could be on sold for hundreds of dollars, around $400 now, and the 1938 first edition goes for thousands. Hans Hass did meet Gilpatric as you say. Old booksellers might like to line their pockets with windfall profits, but many potential buyers just want to read the book. According to the US Copyright Office the only copyright renewal is for the 1957 reprint where James Dugan who wrote the foreword for that edition and supplied two photos renews the copyright on that extra material. That renewal took place in 1985, 28 years after 1957 which is the usual period for renewal. Dodd, Mead and Company have ceased to exist. Gilpatric died in 1950, before the 1957 reprint. There is no sign of a renewal for the actual book as it appeared in 1938, i.e. without Dugan's subsequent contributions. If no successor to Dodd, Mead and Company were passed the ownership then the book is out of copyright in the USA and everywhere else. Worst case is if a copyright holder exists as a legal entity then the 1938 copyright could have a 28 year renewal and a second 67 year renewal which takes the out of copyright date to 2033. Renewal can be granted automatically in some cases even if no one applied for it as copyright laws have changed over the years and pains have been taken to ensure no disadvantage due to ignorance of rule changes occurs. But no extant copyright holder, no copyright.

US Copyright Office record
Type of Work: Text
Registration Number / Date: RE0000274614 / 1985-12-31

Renewal registration for: A00000292223 / 1957-06-28
Title: The Compleat Goggler. By James Dugan.
Copyright Claimant: Dodd, Mead & Company, Inc. (PWH)
Basis of Claim: New Matter: foreword.

Variant title: The Compleat Goggler.
Names: Dugan, James
Dodd, Mead & Company, Inc.
copyright renewal.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom