Help ! Guy Gilpatric - The compleat goggler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
In 1938 the American author Guy Gilpatric published " The Compleat goggler." This was the very first book published on recreational diving and is highly prized by diving bibliophiles and diving historians.

In 1940 upon the out break of WW 11 Guy Gilpatric and his wife Maude returned to the US and settled in Santa Barbara, California.

In June 1950 Maude was diagnosed with breast cancer, which at that time there was no effective cure with a sequel of a prolonged painful death. They returned from the doctors office to their home where they entered into a suicide pack

The were interned in a NYC cemetery ...
And that is the question ? Which one? The location is at this time unavailable on the internet ,

Is their ANY ONE in NYC area who can be of assistance in locating and photographing the grave ?

I will be using the information in a forthcoming long over due article on Guy Gilpatric and his contribution of the publishing of his monumental historical book The Compleat goggler

If located I will reference the individual who provide the picture and location of the Gilpatric's gave site

Cheers from California

Sam Miller,.III

I'm in NYC and willing to assist if able.

I'm sure other Burroughs will chime in as well.

I found a document online that states he was buried at Evergreen Cemetary in New Jersey. I have no idea if the document is correct, but may provide a good starting place.

Lobo

Ok, I just got off the phone with Julia at Evergreen Cemetary. It appears that he is indeed buried there at the cemetary. He is listed as John Guy Gilpatric. Was cremated in CA and sent to Jersey. Passed July 6, 1950. Funeral was Aug 9, 1950.

She was nice enough to give me section and lot numbers, if these would be of any help to you?

Lobo

Jerseys out of my jurisdiction.....

Maybe this person will snap a pix and text it to Sam? Good investigative work :)

Last edited:
@Lobo 73
Ok, I just got off the phone with Julia at Evergreen Cemetary. It appears that he is indeed buried there at the cemetary. He is listed as John Guy Gilpatric. Was cremated in CA and sent to Jersey. Passed July 6, 1950. Funeral was Aug 9, 1950.

She was nice enough to give me section and lot numbers, if these would be of any help to you?

Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One Word

YES !

The information is all correct John Guy Gilpatric is his name -- July 6 is the date of his and wife Maude's passing
Also Yes the section and lit number would be appreciated
(and you are from the show me state of Missouri !)

Now I need a NYC diver to take pictures of the grave site -- with or with out snow

Lobo, A huge California Thank You for a job well done !

Sam Miller, III

My pleasure, Mr. Miller!

Grave location is Section G, Lot 98.

I never thought to ask Julia if she would shoot a pic, sorry!

Lobo

Edit: The phone number for Evergreen is 908-352-7940.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerseys out of my jurisdiction.....

Maybe this person will snap a pix and text it to Sam? Good investigative work :)
Thank you, sir.

Lobo

Update...

I am currently awaiting a return call from Evergreen in regards to a picture of the gravestone. They explained that they don't normally take and text pictures, but they would see what they can do. I will update as soon as I receive a return call.

Lobo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom