Help for newly certified father/son on equipment to buy for infrequent diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonblack

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all! My son and I recently got open water certified through SDI. My 13 year is interested in marine biology as a career, so I wanted to give him an opportunity to do something fun related to his interests. That said, we live in central Georgia, so there aren't too many places to dive nearby (though Florida is a short'ish drive away). I imagine we'll only be able to dive once or twice a year for the forseeable future, so I was planning on just renting equipment wherever we go. That said, should I go ahead and purchase a dive watch so he can log his dives consistently when we do take trips? I know you can just write these dives down, but hey, it's 2024 and having everything in an app would be easier. Plus he'd probably get a kick out of it as a birthday gift/christmas present.

My specific question is - if I buy a watch that has an integrated air monitoring system (our instructor had a little bluetooth/radio device on his regulator that reported his air pressure to the watch) would I be able to use that with rental equipment? I imagine the transmitter sits in between the first stage and the pressure gauge, so are dive shops going to allow me to disconnect that to hook up a transmitter? The other reason I'd like to do this is that I've heard that there are watches that can monitor multiple air sources. I.e. if I'm diving with him I could see his air capacity on my watch (assuming I bought one as well).

I'm even open to buying equipment if that's the right answer, but was trying to avoid it since traveling with that would be a bit of a pain (not to mention the initial cash outlay).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all! My son and I recently got open water certified through SDI. My 13 year is interested in marine biology as a career, so I wanted to give him an opportunity to do something fun related to his interests. That said, we live in central Georgia, so there aren't too many places to dive nearby (though Florida is a short'ish drive away). I imagine we'll only be able to dive once or twice a year for the forseeable future, so I was planning on just renting equipment wherever we go. That said, should I go ahead and purchase a dive watch so he can log his dives consistently when we do take trips? I know you can just write these dives down, but hey, it's 2024 and having everything in an app would be easier. Plus he'd probably get a kick out of it as a birthday gift/christmas present.

My specific question is - if I buy a watch that has an integrated air monitoring system (our instructor had a little bluetooth/radio device on his regulator that reported his air pressure to the watch) would I be able to use that with rental equipment? I imagine the transmitter sits in between the first stage and the pressure gauge, so are dive shops going to allow me to disconnect that to hook up a transmitter? The other reason I'd like to do this is that I've heard that there are watches that can monitor multiple air sources. I.e. if I'm diving with him I could see his air capacity on my watch (assuming I bought one as well).

I'm even open to buying equipment if that's the right answer, but was trying to avoid it since traveling with that would be a bit of a pain (not to mention the initial cash outlay).

so let s make it easier. You need a dive computer that will monitor gas consumption, depth, ndl... If you and your son are getting in the sport treat yourself. Buy two computer and two transmitter. You son is old enough to monitor is own air consumption.

Look on the web you will find plenty of AI computer.

Be safe

so let s make it easier. You need a dive computer that will monitor gas consumption, depth, ndl... If you and your son are getting in the sport treat yourself. Buy two computer and two transmitter. You son is old enough to monitor is own air consumption.

Look on the web you will find plenty of AI computer.

Be safe
Thank you!

I don't disagree that my son is old enough to monitor his own air consumption, and I certainly don't want him relying on me monitoring it, but as a dad it would make me feel better if I could see it as well. If that's not really feasible then it is what it is, but thought I would check.

Happy to buy two watches and two transmitters, but is it common for dive shops to let people put their person transmitters on rental equipment?

Thank you!

I don't disagree that my son is old enough to monitor his own air consumption, and I certainly don't want him relying on me monitoring it, but as a dad it would make me feel better if I could see it as well. If that's not really feasible then it is what it is, but thought I would check.

Happy to buy two watches and two transmitters, but is it common for dive shops to let people put their person transmitters on rental equipment?
You can always just ask him for his gas status with the usual hand signal, which also gets him used to looking at his gas and to communicating underwater.

Some shops care, some don't. Some first stages will have a free HP port for the transmitter, some won't.

Thank you!

Yes dive shop shoud allow it. The transmitter will go on a HP port on the first stage. You need an allen key to remove the screw. If you are not comfortable doing it, DM will most likely do it for you.

Yes you can have one computer and monitor your gas and also your son at the same time. You will than need two transmitters. One on each first stage.

Be safe

FYI: The Garmin's are the only dive computers, that provide a practical distance between divers sharing transmitters.

33 feet for Garmin versus 3 feet for PPS.

The first item you should get if not already is a mask that fits properly. This is the number one reason most people are discouraged with future diving. If a mask does not fit properly the dive is not fun! Next, I would suggest a good computer that will carry you through the type of diving you are planning. They tend to last many years so you want to buy once and cry once instead of buying several. You can find many great posts on here about computer suggestions. After a computer you will find that fins are the next item that cause irritation when renting. Enjoy the addiction and the time with your son!

Hello all! My son and I recently got open water certified through SDI. My 13 year is interested in marine biology as a career, so I wanted to give him an opportunity to do something fun related to his interests. That said, we live in central Georgia, so there aren't too many places to dive nearby
Why Florida? You have plenty of water in Georgia. I don't know about the visibility, but hey, there will be life in the water.

georgia.JPG

My specific question is - if I buy a watch that has an integrated air monitoring system (our instructor had a little bluetooth/radio device on his regulator that reported his air pressure to the watch) would I be able to use that with rental equipment?
Only if you attach the pressure sensor to the rental gear (possibly removing the analog SPG temporarily first). Totally possible, but what a hassle!

Using an analog submersible pressure gauge (SPG) is not that bad. A professional diver (e.g. a marine research biologist) needs to develop situational awareness and the capablity to monitor several gauges.

You should probably invest in screen size and readability instead. He might end up diving muddy waters (which can be great fun!). Air and nitrox modes recommended.
I imagine the transmitter sits in between the first stage and the pressure gauge
It sits on the first stage, alone.
, so are dive shops going to allow me to disconnect that to hook up a transmitter?
I don't know. Could you use that transmitter money to buy a good dive light or a GoPro with dive housing instead? Recording dives can be great fun.
The other reason I'd like to do this is that I've heard that there are watches that can monitor multiple air sources. I.e. if I'm diving with him I could see his air capacity on my watch (assuming I bought one as well).
I can see your point. You could, however, look at his SPG every 10 minutes, or ask him for the pressure. Hand signals do exist and learning underwater communication would be a huge plus.

Few dive ops will allow you to add a transmitter to rental regs on the spot. They may agree to it if you call ahead and are renting for multiple days.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with AI at this point. Monitoring your gas via an SPG is simple and you want to be comfortable with an SPG for those times when AI is not available for some reason. The correct way to monitor a buddy's gas level is to communicate with them. This communication is another skill that is important to learn.

If I were in your position, the first thing I would buy is a mask. A mask that fits well makes all diving nicer and it doesn't take much space. You will also have it for snorkeling between dives.

I would get a wrist mounted dive computer next. Which one depends on your budget. Any cheap Nitrox compatible DC (like the Mares Puck Pro at $219) will serve all your needs for the next few years if that's what you can afford. If you want something much nicer that is AI capable for when you get to that point, then look at the Shearwater Tern TX at $775 without transmitter. The most expensive option is the Garmin Descent Mk3 at about $1500 without transmitter. It's not a better dive computer than the Shearwater, but it is also a full featured sports smartwatch when you aren't diving.

Hey it's 2024 and we still have pencils to document your three dives a year as your computers batteries go flat

You are planning on diving with your son relying on looking to monitor his air
through a ***** computer screen, when you should be right next to him, for the entire dive, looking at his spg

Alas
as you are both new and the planned lack of diving frequency I see only dive guides in your forseeable future

When I was thirteen I was diving by myself, with a reserve lever, with my parents having bought mask and fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom