Help End Shark Finning and the sale of Shark Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave.Dives - you're an inspiration. Thank you soo much for all your efforts!

Education and enforcement are the only way we will stop all the horrible things we're doing to our oceans, KEEP IT UP!!!!

Dave.dives

I too applaud your efforts - you're someone on the front lines and you need to get your word out regarding whats happening to the oceans.

But, by referring to the Japanese as " Japs" you're not helping your cause by using racist terms like this. My husbands family are Japanese and they are some of the most environmentally conscious people anywhere -they don't eat sushi from fish species that are endangered, they don't eat whale meat and never have and frankly don't know many who do, and believe it or not, they are more typical of most Japanese than you think. Environmentalism is slowly taking hold in Japan too as they have seen bluefin prices soar and are finding out why.
I know you'll call me oversensitive but talk like this can be exploited by others not friendly to conservation and used as a way to distract us from the real message of trying to conserve the oceans.
That's my 0.02 anyway

signing petitions and joining facecr00k does nothing for any causes. Armchair activism is just a easy way for someone to feel they did something but in reality gets nowhere. The teabaggers took out their pitchforks and noose and overran the streets while the tech savvy liberals just kept on clicking 'Yes' to online petitions and you can see who is getting their way. Nobody in Egypt was clicking on the 'Step down Mubarak' petition link in the hopes he would leave.

signing petitions and joining facecr00k does nothing for any causes. Armchair activism is just a easy way for someone to feel they did something but in reality gets nowhere.

This mindset must go a long way in helping you to justify your own lack of concern for the world around you. What a sad way to exist.

signing petitions and joining facecr00k does nothing for any causes. Armchair activism is just a easy way for someone to feel they did something but in reality gets nowhere. The teabaggers took out their pitchforks and noose and overran the streets while the tech savvy liberals just kept on clicking 'Yes' to online petitions and you can see who is getting their way. Nobody in Egypt was clicking on the 'Step down Mubarak' petition link in the hopes he would leave.

hah, yah take a look at Change.org sometime and see all of the stuff they have done, simply by getting petitions signed from the internet.

hah, yah take a look at Change.org sometime and see all of the stuff they have done, simply by getting petitions signed from the internet.

You're a real positive thinker aren't ya? You're the type to always try and find the good in every situation... I can tell. :shakehead: Change is happening, and it's from a direct result of the efforts put fourth from the general public's reaction to the finning industry.

On another note: Here is a great CNN video, discussing the issues surrounding Shark Finning, and how it's affecting us. Plus, coverage on the shark sanctuary in the Marshall Islands!!! Great news!

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

No matter how much you ban finning, as long as the demand is there, finning, legal or illegal will still take place. You cannot click the shark's into safety with your mouse button. Creating awareness in China cannot be done by clicking petitions either. Awareness has to involve physical activism.

Just as with whale hunting. Outside activist or banning pressure does not seem to have any effect on Japan's desire to hunt them. If the Japanese people are indifferent to such issue, then the whale hunting will keep happening.

Nonesense.:shakehead:

Sweet so lets all sit back and do absolutely nothing. Amazon removed shark fin cake from its site due to "Arm chair Activism". Petitions are not the only means used but just one. It's often from simple things like petitions that a wider awareness is gained and word spreads. How do you think word of the demonstrations in Egypt was spread, how do you think it began? I think you will find the majority of Japanese are not indifferent to the issue but largely unaware.

Last edited:
You're a real positive thinker aren't ya? You're the type to always try and find the good in every situation... I can tell. :shakehead: Change is happening, and it's from a direct result of the efforts put fourth from the general public's reaction to the finning industry.

On another note: Here is a great CNN video, discussing the issues surrounding Shark Finning, and how it's affecting us. Plus, coverage on the shark sanctuary in the Marshall Islands!!! Great news!

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

...huh?

Back
Top Bottom