Help? Dome Port Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can anybody with the 8" Ikelite Dome Port tell me if I am missing a part, it seems the dome port has something attached to it with threads that looks just like the expansion ring I ordered seperately. Of course, I threw the box and packing slip away months ago... basically, the two don't join that I can figure out. Guess I better dig for part numbers....it's hard living in this time zone sometimes.

DSC_0056-1.jpg

DSC_0067-1-1.jpg

DSC_0064-1-2.jpg

That looks like the 5510.10 Super Wide Body port body. My 8" didn't come with anything like that (I ordered the medium port body).

David

It's like David says. You got the 8"Dome port and the 5510.10 Super Wide Body (which fits, for example, the Nikon 10,5mm FishEye). I assume you probably ordered the #5510.82 Dome Port and Body combination from Ikelite (and that means Dome + Body). Maybe you thought you would get only the dome? When I first bought the 8" Dome I wasn't really sure which part of the set was the port body. Screwing it out was really a hard job, I didn't want to use too much strength. It seems you didn't have my problems...
:)
Jordi

PS: Which lens were you thinking to use under the 8"Dome?

Oh, I want to shoot my 10.5 fisheye.

So....

Maybe you thought you would get only the dome?
yea, JB ordered it for me and then I ordered the body thing. But, it appears to already have one on it. Does it unscrew? I think I have two of the same piece. I will try and attach it again. It sort of "rocks" once clipped on, scarey.

See, I did not inscrew anything....it appears attached solid and then I have this second body part that looks identical.

I think you have the same problem I had. I thought the body was part of the dome. But it's not. Believe me, you can unscrew the body, it's simply a matter of patience and a bit of strength. Fix the dome with one hand and put the other hand inside the body, turn it counterclockwise and the body will unscrew. I had to do several attempts before I got it, I was really worried about causing any damage to the dome. Actually I'm using the 12-24mm with the longer body. The short one you have (double, it seems) is still waiting for the arrival of the 10,5mm. Hope soon.
Good luck!
Jordi

I took some time this morning to shoot this pictures.
Hope they help. As you see, the body IS unscrewable.
:wink:
Jordi

8_Dome_Step1.jpg

8_Dome_Step2.jpg

8_Dome_Step3.jpg

8_Dome_Step4.jpg

8_Dome_Step4-2.jpg

thanks!

The problem is, when I clip it on to the housing, the clips are not accessable to my fingers and the whole thing rocks.

Do I need an expansion ring in addition to the one (actually TWO) that I have?

I will call Ikelite today...time zones are an issue here.

I need to see the dome port on the housing, cross section. (What would I see if yours was attached, between the port and the housing?)

Oh...and do I NEED to unscrew it, if I am using the 10.5 ?

In the dome instruction manual, it talks about smaller port clips for people with older housings. I don't know which you have. The old larger ports would not allow the port body to fully seat.

With my dome (and the medium body), the attachement is compelete, but it doesn't seem as "solid" as I might like. I don't recall being able to rock the dome, but I could certainly twist it. It worked just fine in the water, though.

Be sure to put the housing/dome in the water the first time without a camera in it. You already knew that, though.

David

In the dome instruction manual, it talks about smaller port clips for people with older housings. I don't know which you have. The old larger ports would not allow the port body to fully seat.

Ahhh, Sherlock, you might have figured this out. My housing is OLD, six or seven years...

I'm getting ready to spring for the new one for my D-200...

BINGO...I called.

I need shorter clips.

which I found in the box.

I bought two expansion rings, I only need one. Ikelite no longer sells the dome port assembled with the ring. (like mine was) Now, they are sold seperately. This has contributed to some confusion, they say. They also said it takes two people to unscrew the dome. They volunteered that, so it must be an issue with more than just you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom