Help determining tank size & LP vs HP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sendero

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm talking with someone who has a steel tank for sale. It's the one on the left in this pic along with some Alum tanks. According to the guy, the markings on the tank are:
IOL 3AA2250
HJ144212
3 67+
9 76

Whats the best way to determine the size and HP vs LP?

3kc3o83p65T25X05R1a3v177493f9d9a6133e.jpg

Looks like a steel 72, LP (2250 PSI) new in March of 67. Last hydro in September of 76. It's a nice tank if that's enough gas for you.

Note that 72 CF is when filled to 10% over 2250 as allowed by the + symbol on your new hydro test. Be sure to explicitly request that the + rating be tested for.

Looks like a steel 72, LP (2250 PSI) new in March of 67. Last hydro in September of 76. It's a nice tank if that's enough gas for you.

Note that 72 CF is when filled to 10% over 2250 as allowed by the + symbol on your new hydro test. Be sure to explicitly request that the + rating be tested for.

I thought it was 2250 with the 10% overfill. Without the plus rating it would be 2045 psi.

I thought it was 2250 with the 10% overfill. Without the plus rating it would be 2045 psi.

Nope, "spectrum" is right. They have 72 cuft at 2475psi (2250 + 10%). At 2250 it would hold a total of 65.45 cuft of gas.

FWIW: I have 3 of them. They are great to dive as long as your not looking at going deep or staying long.

They have better buoyancy charistics better than an AL 80 and weigh less. They also trim well, at least on me. I like them but they don't hold a lot of gas and they don't sell for a lot of money.

Because of their low test pressure, they also rarely fail hydro. (vis is a different story, they can get rust in them)

think I'll probably pass on it then. I am still at the stage of using a bit of air. This seemed like a possible deal at a low price but I think i'm better off spending money on other things right now.

They are fun to dive in warm shallow dives, just don't pay a lot of money for one and realize that there is more expense than buying it. You'll probably want a modern valve and you'll have to have a fresh hydro and vis. There is a slight chance that it could fail either (doubtful but it could happen). Only offer a price taking those things into consideration.

I do like the galvanized finish of that cylinder. I have one of those and it's my favorite.

If it's a good deal I would not pass it up. Steel 72s are great to dive with, and with a very reasonable overfill (2700 PSI, only 225 PSI over) hold as much gas as an AL80. That one is galvanized and looks like it's in excellent shape in this photo. Most of my local diving is done with my steel 72s.

If the valve works there's no reason at all to replace it. You can easily rebuild these valves; in fact they rarely need more than an o-ring or washer. The valve seats seem to last forever.

$50 would be a very reasonable price to pay if it passes vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom