Help !! Decision on Natural Gas Port off LBTS is close.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I have a very good friend in the Miami area. I have taken the Florida TPK from Miami to the Keys.
Then you've seen Turkey Point. It already exists, no need to build another one in So Fla. You can see the cooling canals from satellite pictures.

What a bunch of environmentalist propaganda talking points, all of which are either false or misleading.

The "10" years argument is hogwash. Anyone actually "working" in the industry will tell you a new site can be producing in 18 months. And even if it would take 10 years, does anyone think that 10 years will not eventually come? If the "10 years" excuse is good enough to not drill new fields then it's also good enough to stop development of alternative energies since it will take more than 10 years for alternative energy to have any significant effect.

The "few cents" in the price of gas is ridiculous. The market swings wildly on rumor and news. Put it this way, the amount of production expected greatly exceeds the amount of consumption reduced over the last month but oil has fallen $30 per barrel and prices at the pump are 40 cents lower than a month ago.

We can no more "conserve" our way out of the problem than we can drill our way out. We are not precluded from attacking the problem at both ends at the same time *while* actively developing alternative energies.

And reasonable people disagree with you as to the relative potential impacts of an offshore facility versus one located in an urban area.

For a specific pair of onshore and offshore facilities to compare, look at the Everett, MA facility located right in the heart of Boston harbor with ships transiting downtown, vs. the Neptune offshore facility 20miles from Boston, 10 miles from Glouster. Apparently, you would prefer the Everett, MA facility. I prefer the offshore one.

=========================

Does anybody have real information as to the distance to the reef closest to the LNG facility?

The facility is going to be 8-10 miles off the cost of Boward County.

We can no more "conserve" our way out of the problem than we can drill our way out. We are not precluded from attacking the problem at both ends at the same time *while* actively developing alternative energies.

(Wild applause, that creeps into a standing ovation!)

While I hate getting involved in internet debates, I haven't been able to afford any diving in a while... so I'm bored and need something to do. :wink:

I don't know all the details on this particular project, but I only have a few concerns.

LNG is definitely /not/ the same as drilling for crude oil. It's not as if we're looking at having an Exxon-style spill here.

However, I do have a couple of issues with it. First, where exactly IS the location? Will it require drilling through reefs? If they're just setting up in some fairly empty segment of seafloor, that's more acceptable. But destroying a chunk of reef is definitely not.

Also, I sincerely hope they have taken into consideration the effect of hurricanes on our coast. That's the major danger I see inherent in any Atlantic-side drilling efforts.

Even as a fairly environmentalist-minded person, I'd have no huge problem with it going on as long as proper and thorough steps are taken to reduce the environmental impact and ensure that the damage will be minimal.

I was a little concerned that this project might be aimed at benefiting folks /other/ than the locals, but according to the EIA gov't site... about 36% of our energy comes from natural gas here in Florida (figure from 2004), along with other sources (Coal, 29%; Nuclear, 15%; Other, 21%). So at least we'll be benefiting by it here.

However, I do have some worry that it might set a precedent for other drilling efforts. While LNG is fairly innocuous in this setting, oil drilling would not be quite so palatable. And considering that Florida's tourism industry is the backbone of our economy, I'd hate to see our beaches overwhelmed by legions of drilling platforms right off shore.

But again, as long as there is genuine effort to reduce the impact from this particular project, and speaking from a practical view, I'm not entirely opposed.

While I hate getting involved in internet debates, I haven't been able to afford any diving in a while... so I'm bored and need something to do. :wink:

I don't know all the details on this particular project, but I only have a few concerns.

LNG is definitely /not/ the same as drilling for crude oil. It's not as if we're looking at having an Exxon-style spill here.

However, I do have a couple of issues with it. First, where exactly IS the location? Will it require drilling through reefs? If they're just setting up in some fairly empty segment of seafloor, that's more acceptable. But destroying a chunk of reef is definitely not.

Also, I sincerely hope they have taken into consideration the effect of hurricanes on our coast. That's the major danger I see inherent in any Atlantic-side drilling efforts.

Even as a fairly environmentalist-minded person, I'd have no huge problem with it going on as long as proper and thorough steps are taken to reduce the environmental impact and ensure that the damage will be minimal.

I was a little concerned that this project might be aimed at benefiting folks /other/ than the locals, but according to the EIA gov't site... about 36% of our energy comes from natural gas here in Florida (figure from 2004), along with other sources (Coal, 29%; Nuclear, 15%; Other, 21%). So at least we'll be benefiting by it here.

However, I do have some worry that it might set a precedent for other drilling efforts. While LNG is fairly innocuous in this setting, oil drilling would not be quite so palatable. And considering that Florida's tourism industry is the backbone of our economy, I'd hate to see our beaches overwhelmed by legions of drilling platforms right off shore.

But again, as long as there is genuine effort to reduce the impact from this particular project, and speaking from a practical view, I'm not entirely opposed.

The project is a terminal; no drilling. It is in 800-900 feet of water, LNG tankers pull up, convert the liquid to gas and it is pumped into pipe which runs to coast. If a hurricane comes tanker disconnects.

What I find refreshing is a poster jumps on here screaming about the sky falling and how it is going to kill the reef with LNG spills expecting overwhelming support and gets......:shakehead::rofl3:

Educated Divers know quite a bit about gases and pressure. Especially when you are talking about eggheads like DeepStops who know more about the properties of compressed gases than the local University Professors.

I'd want to know where the transmission lines are going. I would not want the to saw a trench into the reef to get ashore but ten miles out sounds like a great place for this thing.

If it goes boom it will make a nice fire ball then torch. After which what gas does not burn off will go back into the air. LNG "spilled" into the water or under the water was no impact on the water or the critters. It will form bubbles which will expell it into the air. LNG as many stated absolutley will not be Liquid without pressure. After the whole thing burns out we will have a new dive site.

It is good to see SB is made up of intelligent people who use their brain and can not be rallied into a protest to save what they love by someone waving a paper monster.

PS-- DEEPSTOPS---

#1) No offense intended by the idom egghead it was meant as a compliment.

#2) WHy do they call it Sewells Point?? It is not in Sewells point it is in Hutchinson's Island?? I am guess the Executs that work there live in Sewalls point.

I get 3hours every year to take a radiological class for the possibilty of the S.O. being deployed to the site for either accident or intentional emergencies. I love the part of the class where the instructor states how many rads you are exposed to outside of the containment area of the plant. Then he says you are exposed to about 50% more than this everday from the nightsights on the GLocks at your hip. Everyone looks down....

Deepstops,

Apparently, it doesnt just evaporate. Occording to the pdf provided by USCG there were approximately 25 incidents with LNG. 13 were classified as SPILLS. Another 3 were classified as N/A ? Seems like statistically, the majority are spills.

YES it Does. Just like when you are standing on a planet with gravity and drop a hammer it falls. When you fart in a room the odor disipates and fills the hole room. It is a physical law and can not be overcome by any amount of whining.

The project is a terminal; no drilling. It is in 800-900 feet of water, LNG tankers pull up, convert the liquid to gas and it is pumped into pipe which runs to coast. If a hurricane comes tanker disconnects.
And there's the rub.

Where will that pipeline run? Does it cross any of the reefs? What will dredging a trench and laying the underground pipe do to the reefs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom