LBTS: Decision Nears On Offshore Energy Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marvel

Just me
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Patrick stopped by my house just now & handed me a small local newspaper with an alarming story in it. It appears that the state is in the final stages of approving an off shore natural gas port that is planned to be anchored approximately 7 miles due east of Anglin Pier. I've been living here for nearly 5 years now & never even heard of it. :shakehead: Here's a link to the article in ByTheSeaFuture (posted below). I will be contacting the organizers of the protest to learn more about this & will get petitions for folks to sign.

Is This What We Want Anchored To Our Horizon?
Story by Mark Brown

There is nothing more tranquil than sitting on the beach and gazing out at the ocean, watching the boats or enjoying the moonlit sky sparkling against the waves. Local residents and visitors may soon have another sight to look at as well: a massive deepwater energy port located about seven miles off the coast of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea and the Galt Ocean Mile.

The deepwater port project was formally proposed in 2006 and has been quietly winding its way through an extensive local, state and federal review process for the past two years. Now it appears that the final decision-making time is almost at hand. According to Mary Kate Jager, project manager for the U.S. Coast Guard which is overseeing the review process, the federal government expects to publish the final environmental impact statement on the project “early this summer.” That will be followed by a public hearing, after which Florida Governor Charlie Crist will have 45 days to approve or disapprove the project. If the governor approves it or fails to act, it will then be up to the U.S. Maritime Administration to decide whether or not to license the project. The Governor’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

With the review process rapidly coming to an end, a group of local citizens has organized along the Galt Ocean Mile to generate opposition to the project and try to stop it. They have posted petitions in many condos and begun a letter-writing campaign to their elected officials, warning that the deepwater port could become a terrorist target and a potential environmental disaster. They are also planning to mobilize for the upcoming public meeting to draw attention to the project and encourage local residents to speak out.

“I know of no opposition to this project and am amazed at the lack of knowledge about it among local residents,” one of the group’s leaders, Bill Claire, wrote in a recent edition of the Galt Mile newsletter. “This has been much like a stealth bomber flying towards its target.”

The proposed deepwater port, known as Calypso LNG, is a venture of Suez Energy International. On March 1, 2006, the company applied for a license to build and operate a lique. ed natural gas (LNG) deepwater port about 7-10 miles off the coast of South Florida. The port would consist of two loading docks, called buoys, each the length of three football fields and towering 12 stories high. The company’s preferred location is directly east of the fishing pier in LBTS.

LNG is natural gas that has been chilled to reach a liquid form so more of it can be transported in a tanker. The liquified gas carried in the tankers would be revaporized at the deepwater port, then transported via an underwater pipeline to storage facilities at Port Everglades. The deepwater port plans to handle two LNG vessels simultaneously and expects to transfer more than a billion cubic feet of natural gas a day through the pipeline, which it says it will help Florida meet approximately 25% of its peak demand for electricity.

In a draft environmental impact statement (EIS) published in the Federal Register in November, 2007, the federal government acknowledged that the project would cause some environmental harm during its 25- year operational lifetime, including damage to water resources, biological resources, recreational boating and visual impact, but said these impacts would be minor.

Opponents believe the EIS vastly underestimates the potential environmental impact of the project, especially the possibility of an explosion if the port is damaged by a hurricane, accident or terrorist attack. They point out that each tanker holds the equivalent of 20 billion gallons of natural gas, which is equal to 55 Hiroshima bombs. They have documented a series of LNG explosions, including a major incident in Cleveland in 1944 in which the holding tanks failed and the vaporous gas ignited, destroying an entire square mile of the city.

“If there is a fire, we’ll be scorched within a two-mile radius on land,” said Dr. David Marshall, who has been leading the opposition along with Bill Claire and their wives Barbara and Theresa. “That fireball can be blown right up to the beach.” Claire pointed out that there are no deepwater LNG facilities anywhere in the U.S. and there has been no testing of their safety on this gigantic scale. “They want us to be guinea pigs for this technology,” Claire said. “That facility doesn’t belong out there.”

Claire said several reports have been prepared by Congress and the Pentagon which conclude that a deepwater LNG port would be an attractive target for terrorists, since it is dif. cult to defend. He said it would only take a small rupture of the holding tanks or pipeline by an accident or deliberate act to cause the gas to release and form into a huge, easily ignitable vapor cloud which would quickly travel across the ocean towards land. Or, he said, terrorists could seize an LNG tanker and steer it to land, creating in effect a Floating bomb. “This port will be a terrorist target of the first magnitude,” he said. “There is no way the Coast Guard can protect it.”

Claire also expressed concern that it is bad policy for the U.S. to begin importing a huge volume of natural gas from Africa and Asia at a time when we should become more energy-independent. “We should put our money into developing our own energy sources,” he said. “It is the wrong direction to become more reliant on foreign fossil fuels, and have more of our money ending up in foreign countries.”

The Claires and Marshalls liken their struggle to David vs. Goliath, but they are optimistic that they can stop the project. They are encouraged that just last month, New York Gov. David Paterson vetoed a similar floating LNG plant which had been proposed for Long Island Sound. They are urging local residents to sign the petitions and write to Governor Crist to request that he veto the project. “I think we’re going to win this thing,” Marshall said.

For more information about the project or copies of the petitions, contact Bill and Theresa Claire at 954-561-0865 or Dr. David and Barbara Marshall at 954-568-3135. Comments may also be emailed directly to Governor Crist at harlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com.

Last edited:
well, actually you should join the group in favor of supplying your area with more energy source.
Maybe even get active in getting them to drill for Oil off the coast, as the Chinese are slant drilling and taking Oil out of the ground off our coasts.
One little speck on the horizon is not going to hurt the view, however, that speck may increase jobs and reduce energy demands as well, sounds like a plus-plus to me......
as for the "Fire Ball", PLEASE.......get real, beieving in that is as bad as believing in Global warming.....

Good news. Its about time we look off our own coasts to supply us with energy. Its better than burning coal in our power plants too by the way.
Gov. Crist needs to support oil drilling off the west coast too so that we can take some postive steps toward achieving energy independence and lower the prices at the pump.
I agree, a speck on the horizon is not going to be an eyesore. Look at it instead as a sign of prosperity and another place to dive!

Good news. Its about time we look off our own coasts to supply us with energy. Its better than burning coal in our power plants too by the way.
This isn't drilling off the coast. It's simply a terminal to import liquid natural gas, mostly from the Middle East. It doesn't help us in energy independence.

My question to those of you that oppose this and other LNG terminals ---

WHERE should they be located???

Do you prefer that all imports for the heavily populated SE Florida region be located over in Lousiana or Texas and then piped all the way over to you guys, increasing costs, requiring more pipes to be built, more energy used for pumping, etc???

WHOSE backyard should they be in, if not yours ---- the consumers of the LNG?

Kind of reminds me of Edward Kennedy (may he recover quickly) that is all for windpower, but only as long as he doesn't have to see any windmills off on the horizon from his Hyannisport compound.

well, actually you should join the group in favor of supplying your area with more energy source.
Maybe even get active in getting them to drill for Oil off the coast, as the Chinese are slant drilling and taking Oil out of the ground off our coasts.
One little speck on the horizon is not going to hurt the view, however, that speck may increase jobs and reduce energy demands as well, sounds like a plus-plus to me......
as for the "Fire Ball", PLEASE.......get real, beieving in that is as bad as believing in Global warming.....

mrjimboalaska.... you sound like an arrogant ass. Environmental catastrophies do happen. Which, if it did happened off Fort Lauderdale, and would be ridiculous to say that it couldn't, would destroy jobs because of the impact on tourism among other industries. And global warming IS happening, it's just the cause of the warming that is of debate. This doesnt sound like a plus to me.

You're right, something 7 miles out is not going to be an eyesore to look at but it surely is pretty darned close to shore- a LOT closer than the wells that pepper the Gulf. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of "projects" proposed & sneaked through that have significant environmental impact. The potential for disaster is significant, given how squarely SE FL sits in the hurricane belt. There are also the concerns about this becoming a potential terrorist target. While I am not a Chicken Little, I am also not Pollyanna either & I want to know what is happening in my side yard.

This project merits concerned citizens taking a good, hard look at it. I am amazed that a project of this magnitude could be so close to completion without anyone having heard of it before.

Given the fact that you do not even reside in this state, much less in SE FL, I think you might best turn your attentions elsewhere & leave Floridians to worry about Florida. Of course, you probably have, or want to, come here to dive someday like so many others. It'd be a pity if the best diving in the US was ruined because of something like this that was sneaked through & then something happened that caused irreversible damage or even the destruction of our marine ecosystems. Sorry, dude- I don't really want to be in the position of saying "I told you so..." :shakehead:

Thank you Tropical, thank you very much......what is it you sound like........
Could you please tell me about the last time an LNG transfer Terminal "Blew up" and destroyed property 7 miles away? didnt think so.......
as far as Global warming, data now shows global COOLING for the last decade, Ice Packs are the biggest they have EVER been since recording began.....oh, and the Polar Bear populations are at the biggest since monitoring began......No sir....the Earth Heats and Cools, in cycles, always has, always will.
You may get hit crossing the street by a car someday, do you still cross the street? why?

The Exxon Valdez and 3 mile island are examples of things that shouldn't haved happened. Who wants a fire bomb sitting on their doorstep, one drunk captain or incompetent mate, a chief engineer that screws up equals a disaster.They do screw up and on a regular basis

A little human error would go a long way or has hman error been removed from the equation somehow, computer control----

Marvel.
I agree with you in your States Rights and that ultimately you residents should be aware and involved in your economic affairs. I HAVE dove in Florida, and since we are moving to Alabama next month, look forward to diving there again.
States Rights....we in Alaska, my home of record since my wife is still in the Military, have been trying to open up new ground for oil and LNG for quite some time....could you help us with our states rights, seems that the federal Legislative branch seems to be holding us up....
The lack of infastructure development and expansion in this country has been stifled the last 30 years using that term "Environmental Impact", we are the most effecient drillers, refiners and builders in the World, maybe we could build in our neck of the woods instead of other locations, and there really is no choice, we need it.
Here's to seeing ya on the water, for we share something in common, the love of Nature, and we can exist together in harmony.....

Think of fuel spills washing over or reefs and onto our beaches. OMG why can’t we just break away from fossil fuels? Let’s put out money/support in research in developing alternative sources of energy. Don’t just drag the old sources out of the closet and dust them off. ***No, I say develop something better. ****

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom