Question Help choosing dive shop in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cleve (married to Jessica, Mariella's sister in law) is now running a very successful tour business; Cleve's Tours and Adventures.
Yes, I remember he was just kinda starting that about 6-7 years ago.

Why do people choose an independent dive shop and hotel combo over an all-inclusive place like Anthony's Key Resort or CoCo View?

Edit: I know why one might do this elsewhere, but on Roatan I'm under the impression all dives are at marked spots in the marine park. So there must be other advantages of going independent.

Why do people choose an independent dive shop and hotel combo over an all-inclusive place like Anthony's Key Resort or CoCo View?

Edit: I know why one might do this elsewhere, but on Roatan I'm under the impression all dives are at marked spots in the marine park. So there must be other advantages of going independent.
Price. Independence. Surprises. Diversity.

One is the cost. The AI's have a high absolute cost. They might be a better "deal" if you dive a lot and eat a lot but what if you don't? What if you plan to do 10 dives per week and are a light eater maybe eating one meal a day? At an AI, you're paying the same as the next person making 20 plus dives and eating 3 heavy meals per day.

Another is logistics. Some prefer AI because all the details have been pre-determined. I've heard AKR described as Disney Diving. Our 3 visits in 5 years were almost identical. But others don't like that and want things more spontaneous and varied.

One is the cost. The AI's have a high absolute cost. They might be a better "deal" if you dive a lot and eat a lot but what if you don't? What if you plan to do 10 dives per week and are a light eater maybe eating one meal a day? At an AI, you're paying the same as the next person making 20 plus dives and eating 3 heavy meals per day.

Another is logistics. Some prefer AI because all the details have been pre-determined. I've heard AKR described as Disney Diving. Our 3 visits in 5 years were almost identical. But others don't like that and want things more spontaneous and varied.
Well stated, but there are some subtle variables.

@ReefHound , for sure the bottom line truth is: is it a dive vacation. Or a vacay with diving. No shame in either, but most will not admit the latter lest they be viewed as less than a Hondo Diver.

One of those subtle differences? Everybody is constantly going on about shore diving and shore access, even the dubious reference to this by AKR. I myself have pretty-we’ll see it all on Roatan. Far and away, inarguably, here is the single best shore dive and access off the shore, it’s only doable from an AI called CoCoView. (That’s the Roatan Aggressor lying just offshore, spending 2 or more days doing CCV dives at 2.5x the cost)

Attachments

• F5C6451E-58B2-411E-94C9-679C4B29A45F.png
    F5C6451E-58B2-411E-94C9-679C4B29A45F.png
    398.5 KB · Views: 89
Far and away, inarguably, here is the single best shore dive and access off the shore, it’s only doable from an AI called CoCoView. (That’s the Roatan Aggressor lying just offshore, spending 2 or more days doing CCV dives at 2.5x the cost)

I have heard from a couple people the shore dive at CCV is very good.

I really enjoyed the shore dive at AKR.

Interesting to hear you mention the Roatan Aggressor. I too was puzzled to see it diving the same sites as AKR.

When we go to Roatan, we stay and dive with Splash Inn. Rooms are cheap, dives are cheap, free breakfast, we know the staff, and it's conveniently in the middle of West End. It is not fancy.

If you go to AKR, you are kind of going to be at AKR and walking to other places is not super easy. By staying where we stay, we have a lot of dining, shopping, and drinking choices and we still get the ability to wake up and walk a few feet to the dive shop where all our gear is.

If we want to use another dive shop for a dive that Splash Inn may not be doing (Cayos for example), we can walk up and down the street till we find one. And there are two dive stores in the West End if you want/need to buy something.

So we feel we get the same "family" vibe one may get at AKR (diving with the same folks and staff everyday) and a free breakfast but with more options for other things.

When we go to Roatan, we stay and dive with Splash Inn. Rooms are cheap, dives are cheap, free breakfast, we know the staff, and it's conveniently in the middle of West End. It is not fancy.

If you go to AKR, you are kind of going to be at AKR and walking to other places is not super easy. By staying where we stay, we have a lot of dining, shopping, and drinking choices and we still get the ability to wake up and walk a few feet to the dive shop where all our gear is.

If we want to use another dive shop for a dive that Splash Inn may not be doing (Cayos for example), we can walk up and down the street till we find one. And there are two dive stores in the West End if you want/need to buy something.

So we feel we get the same "family" vibe one may get at AKR (diving with the same folks and staff everyday) and a free breakfast but with more options for other things.
I just got back and stayed at Splash Inn as well , Like above rooms aren't fancy but they are clean and its right in the middle of everything! Free Breakfast and then a 50 ft walk to the boat, Chris and Luka are top notch guys and were great to dive with! Highly recomended!

I spent a week on Roatan (West End) last September (9/2021) diving with Coconut Tree divers. I stayed in the small hotel right across the street. My preference was to minimize costs and still be comfortable as well as dive as much as possible. I accomplished everything! The diving, hotel, and local food was excellent and will be going back!

Pretty much all shops in WE are great. West End Divers (WED) runs a schedule to dive sites so each site is a set day. Great way to get to know a site. Most other shops Coconut Tree, Reef Gliders, Roatan Divers pick sites at random decided by either request or wherever the DM picks. Certification level is always taken into account. CTD does not set up your equipment but Im sure you could tip a DMT to do it for you. CTD morning 2 tank dive takes SI on the boat (slow boats but social cruising) The others come back to the shop (faster boats) RD has the fastest boats in WE if you're into that but they can also get to almost any dive site any time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom