Question Help choosing dive shop in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panpangato

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello divers, my husband and I are planning our Roatan dive trip and we are having the most difficult time choosing a dive shop so any insight would be appreciated. We have narrowed down our choices to three dive shops based on proximity to our hotel - Coconut tree divers, Sun divers, Roatan dive shop. All three dive shops have great reviews which makes the decision even more difficult.
Our understanding is that some dive operators come back to the shore in between the first and second dive whereas some stay out for both dives. Are there any pros and cons to either method? Are there any other factors we should consider in choosing a dive shop? We both have all of our gear so quality of rentals is not an issue.

Thank you!

Honesty, there are no bad choices in West End. I'm older so not really into the atmosphere at Coconut Tree. That doesn't mean they aren't a quality dive shop.

Whether you do your surface interval back on shore or not is not a factor of the dive shop - it's based on the dive sites you do. If you go further along the island, you may do your surface interval somewhere else or even on the boat. But there are some dive sites worth the "hardship" - and it has nothing to do with the shop but more the destination. You can dive right around West End for the entire week and surface interval back on shore. But then you might be missing out on some stuff too.

Personally, I prefer smaller shops with fewer people on the dive and on the boat. I dive with Island Diving for that reason.

Just got back from down there. I was checking in with Sun Divers because one of my favorite DM's is there now. They were pretty busy and are running (2) two tank dives a day to try to fit everyone in. I only briefly spoke with Ricky but it seemed they're doing 2 tanks regardless of the location, contrary to what Katie (i'd normally agree with what she advised, that's the way it usually is) was saying. From their dive board it looked like full boats everyday so if you're hoping for lucking into an empty boat I'd look elsewhere. That said Ricky is an amazing DM who grew up at Seagrape and has been diving most of his life so it'd be great to dive with him.

Coconut tree seems to be doing a lot of tech stuff now and also seemed busy. Not sure about Roatan Divers.

Another to think about if you're looking for uncrowded boats is Jackson's. Tony from there found 3 seahorses on one dive a few weeks ago!

Regardless of who you dive with make sure to dive Texas! Arguably the best dive on the West.

Our understanding is that some dive operators come back to the shore in between the first and second dive whereas some stay out for both dives. Are there any pros and cons to either method?
This is a consideration at ANY dive destination.

”two tank trips’ are preferable if you want to get maximum dive times with less time spent going back-and-forth to the shore.

If a dive-op has big enough boats AND enough extra cylinders to carry onboard, they will most certainly do this. Do a dive, then the DM will change out your tank while you sit right there, doing your surface interval on the boat.

Smaller dive ops, because they are running on tighter start-up budgets, ”pride themselves” (go to phrase: concierge diving) on “less divers onboard” (6 pax boats) and multiple departures throughout the day (single tank dives because of no storage space on the boat nor extra tanks back at the fill station).

Some such described ops do cram extra tanks aboard and you pray that everybody listens to the DMs who herd the divers out of their way, lest their choreographed routine become a major pita. Some are mid-level players with slightly more roomy and commodious vessels.

Your OP refers only to the ‘first and second dive”, these occur around 0900 and 1100 or 1230, remember that all small ops then do their 3rd boat at 3:00 as well, They usually pre-plan their dive day by offering “advanced dives” (deeper, with likely visits to the 100fsw wrecks) first thing in the AM as a nod to profiles but more importantly calmer conditions at that time found in West/North.

A huge consideration in the specific Roatan locale of which you inquire: The physical distance between your “pillow” and the trek to the dive-op. I try to keep the walking to a minimum as I’m always carrying some darned thing and usually crusty from diving, etc. If you forget something (imagine that?) it can be problematic to ‘dash back to the room’ for sunglasses.

I am going to west bay, paradise beach, for a week in june. The in house shop is cayuco divers. they seem to get good reviews. guessing i should just go with them?

Paradise Beach Hotel is in West Bay, which is not very big. You should be pretty close to any operator in West Bay.

Just got back from down there. I was checking in with Sun Divers because one of my favorite DM's is there now. They were pretty busy and are running (2) two tank dives a day to try to fit everyone in. I only briefly spoke with Ricky but it seemed they're doing 2 tanks regardless of the location, contrary to what Katie (i'd normally agree with what she advised, that's the way it usually is) was saying. From their dive board it looked like full boats everyday so if you're hoping for lucking into an empty boat I'd look elsewhere. That said Ricky is an amazing DM who grew up at Seagrape and has been diving most of his life so it'd be great to dive with him.

Coconut tree seems to be doing a lot of tech stuff now and also seemed busy. Not sure about Roatan Divers.

Another to think about if you're looking for uncrowded boats is Jackson's. Tony from there found 3 seahorses on one dive a few weeks ago!

Regardless of who you dive with make sure to dive Texas! Arguably the best dive on the West.
Is Ricky not with Seagrape, his family business, anymore? About five years, my daughter was very apprehensive about getting certified after she had done her padi classes at a LDS near home. Ricky was absolutely instrumental in making my daughter feel comfortable about her open water checkout dives. She subsequently did indeed get certified, but only due to the patience and guidance of Ricky.

@Grateful head , Yeah, that sounds like Ricky and really the whole Seagrape crew. They make everone feel like family! Ricky left SG sometime during the pandemic when they were still closed and he found work at Sun divers. Hugo is now instructing at SG and Kevin is the lead DM.

@Grateful head , Yeah, that sounds like Ricky and really the whole Seagrape crew. They make everone feel like family! Ricky left SG sometime during the pandemic when they were still closed and he found work at Sun divers. Hugo is now instructing at SG and Kevin is the lead DM.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if Cleave is still with them? He was a son in law to Mariela I believe.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if Cleave is still with them? He was a son in law to Mariela I believe.
Cleve (married to Jessica, Mariella's sister in law) is now running a very successful tour business; Cleve's Tours and Adventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom