Help a skinny guy find a wetsuit that fits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LockeOak

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm going to be doing quite a bit of diving over the next few years as I work towards my degree and I'm just starting out. I only anticipate diving in the Caribbean. I've used rentals before, but now I need my own suit. The trouble is I've never really found one that fits since I'm on the lean side. My dimensions: 5'11" tall, 140lb, 34" chest, 30.5" waist. All the ones I've used were long enough but so baggy around the torso that any time I bent my waist I was pumping warm water out of the suit. Any sizing tips that I should keep in mind or brands to look out for? To make things more difficult the suit will have to be bought online, since I have to have someone else authorize the expenditure and they're not around to go to dive shops with me. Any help would be appreciated.

why not go buy the suit at a lds and pay for it..Then take the receipt to whoever authorize's said purchase and get reimbursed.This way you get the suit you want at the correct size. It you who would be cold and suffering if it is wrong.
So what if the guy only reimburses you to an amount that does not cover full cost of suit.. The amount reimbursed will no doubt cover most and it should be no big deal to make up a difference of $20.-$40. if that is the case..

I suppose I'm a slightly larger version of you, 6'3" 180lbs 42L jacket and 32"waist. I've had good luck with Pinnacle suits since they make "tall" versions of most their suits. My decision was between Bare (also excellent quality and they have "tall" versions as well) and Pinnacle and I only chose Pinnacle because I could buy it local.

Sound like you're getting a wetsuit as a gift maybe?

I am 6 ft 170 lb, somewhat thin build, and I bought an Akona Quantum Stretch size Large, very reasonable price via online sources, LeisurePro in my case. It fits very snugly, more so than I would have thought. They are adjustable downwards in leg/arm length by providing pre-stitched seam cut-off points. You might be able to get a men's Medium size.
I'm sure there are several equally good or better solutions out there, this is just my 2 psi worth...

Bare has more sizes than most, so that is a good option.

Also the stretchy suits like Henderson Hyperstretch might be something to look at.

One word to solve your problem: CUSTOM

Not as much as most people think. ~$350-$400 for a full 7mm. Less for tropical suits. At least here in socal.

Thanks guys. The suit isn't a gift, it's being paid for with grant money which is in short supply, NSF budgets being what they are. Funding isn't there for a $400 suit, I'm afraid. I've been advised to get a 3mm suit. I'm looking at the Bare 3/2 suit, reasonably priced and they have a medium tall size which doesn't look perfect but much better than most.

It sounds like you've done some diving in the past so have some point of reference, but don't necessarily take other people's suggestions on what thickness wetsuit should be good for you. At 5'11" 140 lbs, you probably have a lot less bioprene than most people. At 6'1" 165 lbs, I started out with a 5/4mm Bare Medium Tall in the Carribean. On a week with a lot of diving I get quite chilled by day two.

Now I routinely dive a 7/6/5mm Medium Tall XCel wetsuit and am very happy. The only time I got really hot was when I freestyle swam to the front of the liveaboard against a current (w/o scuba gear) to try to get to a pod of dolphins. (I had just started getting geared up.)

At 6'0 and 145 lbs, I have found both O'Neil Reactor 3/2 and Body Glove X2 5/4 MT (MediumTall) wet suits to be a great off the rack fit. I found those to be easier to put on and remove vs the Bare that I tried out, I dislike struggling with my wet suit before and after the dive. Stretchy suits are great...

Thought I would update this thread... I just spent a week in Key Largo and found a great deal on an O'Neill 3/2 Epic, which has worked out great for me. Water temps were around 75 and I didn't get cold at all. Thanks again all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom