Help a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you've decided on digital, I really would look to either Olympus or Canon. Sony just hasn't kept up to speed. It may be a good camera for topside shots but no one has been very impressed with it's results underwater. That's where Oly and Canon have excelled...underwater.

I would suggest either an Oly C-4000 and PT-010 housing or an Oly C-5050 and PT-015 housing. You can get a 5050/15 combo for around $750, depends on your shopping skills. The light sensitive lens and bright internal flash on todays digitals allow you to take great shots without an external strobe. As you practice and get used to how the camera works and how you work with the camera, you can save for a good strobe. That's a whole other subject!!!

I agree with Dee - I posted more or less the same question here (I think everyone should do the clueless newbie post at least once), and I now own the c4000 + PT-010. You can take some great pictures with little or no skill (and hopefully some even better pictures with some, but I'm a ways from that yet). The attached image was taken on my third ever dive with the camera. My apologies for posting so many barracuda, but they really were most accomodating subjects (ie not afraid of me)...

Dave

PS Given the choice, had I had the money I would probably have gone for the 5050, but the 4000 is pretty damn good anyway.

I think you need to change your user name to 'Cuda Man! :D :wink:

I'd like to add something to this delemma of which camera to chose. One of the bad habits we have these days is wanting the latest and greatest. But sometimes the latest isn't the best for you. The C-5050 is a good example. There's no question it is an excellent camera. But it is also a Complicated camera...with a capital C. If you are totally new to photography, you'll have lots to learn to get good photos. The complicated controls and multiple decisions about 8 different personal mode settings, 4 different kinds of memory medium, of which 2 can be used at the same time, two handed effort to work the jog dial, etc. are just too much for some folks who want something simple to get them started yet that will take excellent photos.

The C-4000 is the available model in the 4MP range now and it fits that bill perfectly. If you can find a new in the box C-4040, go for it! It's been discontinued but is an excellent choice too. Just because a camera isn't the latest model doesn't mean it isn't going to serve you well for years to come! It won't automatically fall apart as soon as the stores get the new stuff! Months ago, when the C-5050 hit the market and everyone was getting on the bandwagon, I had no trouble resisting the upgrade fever. I still have a lot to learn about my C-4040 and it's doing everything I need it to.

And in case you need visual proof, check out this trip report by a new digital user. Sipidan Water Village. She's using a C-3040, with only the internal flash, no external strobe, with a 3MP camera that was released several years ago.

Just proves that it's the PHOTOGRAPHER, not the CAMERA that takes the pictures!

Dee once bubbled...
I think you need to change your user name to 'Cuda Man! :D :wink:

I'll change my username when you switch yours to Zeus (because he was master of Olympus, in case anyone needs it spelling out). I've been Ruu for about seven years now, so I'll probably stick with it - just dont ask why..

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom