helmets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voodooconstant

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking around for DIR video and have found a lot of cave stuff. I've been thinking about it, and wonder why divers don't wear some kind of hard hat/helmet? I can see if you're just swimming bumping your head isn't that big of a deal, but when people are using scooters I'd imagine it could hurt a bit.

I know one answer is to keep your buoyancy in check and it won't be a problem, but surely every once in a while theres the ole "look back to check on buddy, glide into a rock" or perhaps more likely "silt out touch navigate" scenarios.

Maybe its just not that big of a problem. I've never been diving in a cave so I don't have much of a frame of reference.

There was one thread about mounting lights on helmets. I know thats a DIR no no (and goofy looking to boot - I saw some pic of a guy with three huge lights plastered to his noggin). This question isn't about that.

Its just not needed. If its not needed, don't take it.

Like you said, keep your bouyancy tight and have good situational awareness, and you're straight.

PfcAJ:
Its just not needed. If its not needed, don't take it.

Like you said, keep your bouyancy tight and have good situational awareness, and you're straight.

I know a few cavers in N. Florida who enjoy wearing a helmet for head protection, and to mount lights on
It's just a matter of preference

voodooconstant:
I've been looking around for DIR video and have found a lot of cave stuff. I've been thinking about it, and wonder why divers don't wear some kind of hard hat/helmet? I can see if you're just swimming bumping your head isn't that big of a deal, but when people are using scooters I'd imagine it could hurt a bit.

Maybe its just not that big of a problem. I've never been diving in a cave so I don't have much of a frame of reference.

Not needed anymore than you'd need a helmet while jogging. <g> Seriously, I can't imagine a scenario where someone with skills appropriate to cave diving would actually hit their head on anything at any speed. Manifold or tanks, yes, but head, no.

One thing to consider is that much of your buddy communication is done with your lights. While it's prudent to eyeball your buddy behind you regularly, you always know the status and proximity of your trailing buddy by where and how steady their light beam is. If the light disappears, you *stop* and look, period.

Helmets for cave diving actually are a legacy to dry caving, where helmets are used to protect your head from falling rocks or from hurting yourself while rapelling, etc. These are just not an issue when the cave is entirely filled with water, which supports a cave like water in a hose.

Cameron

StSomewhere:
DIR divers?
Yep...The special secret ones.

Are you kidding me? Dont you and your dive team wear football helmets representing your favorite team? :D
It seems like you would need a helmet to ask such a question on a DIR based thread.

This seems like a good time to get the popcorn out!

Let the beatings begin!!!!!!!!!

D1V3R, this question was posted in the DIR forum, suggesting a DIR oriented response. I know lots of people who do things in diving that aren't DIR, and I don't comment about their configurations or diving practices here because.....this is the DIR forum...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom