Helmets for scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive504

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone have experience with wearing helmets underwater?

I recently started rig-diving under oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. It's not the easiest environment for diving - currents and rig supports - but's there's a ton to see and a lot of fun. I'm concerned about hitting my head on the platform structure and am looking at kayaking helmet and roller-skating helmets. Both seem like they would work. I haven't test-fitted them yet to see whether they would fit around my mask, obviously this is something I will do before buying. Is there equipment better suited for diving than these? Any other experience to share?

Bike helmets seem like they would add bouyancy and are bulkier, so I haven't looked at those...

Thanks!

Helmets are pretty common when diving side mount in caves, not only because of tight quarters, but as a platform to mount lights, since the standard locations for mounting back-ups on your chest D-rings are harder to access due to tanks and hoses. Here is my new helmet from Light Monkey--I haven't been back to the cenotes yet since I got it, but it has a lower profile than my old Petzl. For open water, probably the most important features would be either no or easily removable foam padding and vents to allow air trapped inside the dome to escape.

_DSC0458 copy.jpg

Last edited:
What I did was purchase a kids skateboard helmet from the PX. I then removed all the foam from inside. I glued some neoprene to the inside just to cushion it slightly. It fits my head nice and snug now. I use it for mounting lights and my GoPros/Intovas when I am out doing video or pictures with a different rig. Works great. I don't have any pics at the moment, although I think I posted one in a different tread.

That's some good advice, thanks! Is the light monkey pretty rigid? Seems like without any padding material, it would need to be really rigid to give good protection.

It's not designed for high impacts, more for bump protection. Unless you're on a scooter, it should be fine.

I've also seen people wear the helmets made by Gath. With the exception of the skydiving version it looks like they are all made for water sports. I know they were originally made for surfers. If they protect from an impact to the reef by a surfer I would imagine they'll do what you need them too.

I looked at a light monkey helmet last week and it is pretty low profile, but also comparatively flexible. If I were just buying helmet, it would be high on the list.

I already have a Bell bicycle helmet from walmart (size "age 8"). As mentioned above, I removed the styrofoam liner and then stuck the open cell foam pads inside to create some cushion and take up the excess space. It fits my head great with a hood on and it's stiff enough to probably absorb a glancing blow pretty well and would certainly prevent any abrasion injury.

I don't know much about helmets for diving; however, I do know that Dive Right In Scuba had several in their online catalog. Just mentioning another source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom