hello & question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several operators in the area that will take you out on different types of trips - usually based on distance/time.

I use UnderWaterWorks in Daphne, AL - about 30min north of Gulf Shores. Good shop, great owner, and they run out of the Gulf Diver captained by Rusty(another good guy).

Down Under Dive Shop is located on Highway 59 just a mile or two north of the beach. Its a good shop and they also have their own boats. They also run snorkel trips if you have non-divers vacationing with you.

Gary's Gulf Diver is in Orange Beach, off of Canal Road. I've never done any business with them, but Gary posts on this board and seems to be a top-notch guy. I'll give them business one day :)

Most of the trips are based on distance/time. I think just about everyone runs a 3-4 hour trip to dive sites <5miles offshore. Depths typically around 50' or less. Sites commonly visited in this range are 3mile Barge(typical barge wreck w/bridge rubble nearby), bridge rubble, and Stacks-n-Pillars(basically bridge rubble). 2 tank dives run in the $65ish range.

You can get a longer trip out to further dive sites up to 20miles out for a 6 hour trip. There are TONS of divesites within this range, including 400+' liberty ships, tugs, barges, WWII planes, tanks, rubble, and even a few deepwater natural limestone reefs(Trysler Grounds, ect). Depths can range from 50-120'. A 2 tank dive will run $80-95 and depending on the captain and time, you may be able to squeeze a 3rd tank into the trip.

I think everyone will offer the boat for pretty much the entire day for $110-120. They'll let you ride out anywhere up to 30ish miles and gives you the options of diving the rigs ect. Typically a 3 tank dive with lots of boat riding time in between dives.

We also have some limited shore diving options. The Whiskey Wreck can be dived off the beach. Its 150meters off the beach, south of Bahama Bobs(located on the Beach Rd, west of Hwy 59). Ivan covered it in sand and I'm not sure if its been uncovered by the currents yet. You can dive the jetties at Alabama Point, be sure to hit them at high slack for the least amount of current and the greatest chance for decent visibility. The Gulf State Pier was severly damaged by Ivan, should make for a great divesite until they tear it down and clean it up. There really isn't a beach access to it at the moment(parking lot is still torn up at that site).

Thanks everyone for all the info!! Trip is scheduled for the 19th thru the 25th. Hopefully the diving will be better than this weekend. I went to Norfork Lake in Arkansas not knowing there was a bass tournament going on. Water temp was about 56 so the dry suit was a must... not much fun! Anyway thanks again for all of your help.

I was at the Flora-Bama's Mullet Toss this past weekend. A drunken hippy told me that the Whiskey Wreck is getting uncovered, not sure how reliable the source is, but I want to get out there and check :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
I was at the Flora-Bama's Mullet Toss this past weekend. A drunken hippy told me that the Whiskey Wreck is getting uncovered, not sure how reliable the source is, but I want to get out there and check :D
Lessee here now...
Drunk
Hippy
Flora-Bama...
That's three for three! And at the Mullet Toss, no less :)
Gotta be true.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom