Hello, New to the board and a newly obsessed diver :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STATDIVER

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just posting a "hello" message. Been reading this board for a little while, but joined not long ago. Wife and I certified earlier this year...both now love diving(although I would say I'm a little more obsessed, lol). Not too many dives yet...have been to a couple of local quarries (dive ga, and dive land park), did checkout dives down at rainbow river and blue grotto...honeymooned in Cozumel and did some diving there.

We are starting to obtain some of our own gear, or at least shopping around, and trying to plan our next big trip (leaning towards the keys). Thinking of working on our AOW on that trip possibly.

Although, I'm also interested in trying out lake jocasse at some point, as well as possibly Panama City and Myrtle Beach. I've seen a lot on Panama City, anyone ever went diving around Myrtle Beach? Seems to be a good bit of wrecks in relatively shallow water.

Welcome Stat Diver. I'm glad you and your wife are excited about diving. The most important thing you can do is take more scuba classes like AOW and Rescue. If you are interested in wrecks, take the Wreck and Boat course. Good boat etiquette is important and wrecks are a different type of diving, not for inexperienced divers regardless of their depth. I learned wreck diving in the "Graveyard of the Atlantic", North Carolina. The first wreck I dove was the U352 which is a war grave. Although we could see it clearly from the surface (which is not usual), there was some current at depth.

I'm definitely interested in being able to dive down and see wrecks...although I'm not sure what my interest is at this point for actually going inside of the wrecks etc. With that in mind, do you think that the wreck part of AOW would be recommended, as opposed to just being able to dive the depths where the wrecks may be? I would think I would want to choose my AOW dives to be the ones I would like to pursue further in a full course, so I didn't know if I should choose wreck if all I wanted was to be able to see them rather than penetrate the wrecks.

Welcome. There is some decent diving a Lake Jocossee.I just did my Drysuit Class last Sunday and the water was about 59 degrees to 100' at least no thermocline.I Also recommend the Dive Shop there, the owner is a great instructor. I would also say don't stop training take AOW and Rescue. you also have the PDRA Quarry's in NC. Let me know if your looking to dive.

Welcome Stat Diver. I'm glad you and your wife are excited about diving. The most important thing you can do is take more scuba classes like AOW and Rescue. If you are interested in wrecks, take the Wreck and Boat course. Good boat etiquette is important and wrecks are a different type of diving, not for inexperienced divers regardless of their depth. I learned wreck diving in the "Graveyard of the Atlantic", North Carolina. The first wreck I dove was the U352 which is a war grave. Although we could see it clearly from the surface (which is not usual), there was some current at depth.

Thanks. I haven't given much thought to diving in NC yet until reading your post. Farthest north I had looked was Myrtle Beach, SC. I found some pretty neat info and sites in Wilmington, NC though...Aquatic Safaris was the charter I happened to click on. Maybe a long weekend or something to Wilmington will be in order at some point. Ever dive around there, or with those guys? I've never been over around that part of North Carolina at all actually.

Welcome to SB! Keep diving, keep learning, and definitely be sure to check out the wrecks in NC.

Welcome to SB STATDIVER! Lake Jocassee and Panama City are both great places to dive. I'm not very fond of diving at Myrtle Beach but as others have mentioned, NC has some great diving. Morehead City...have done a few dives with Discovery Diving, great wrecks! Bill at Lake Jocassee Dive Shop does a great AOW class and you will have the opportunity to dive Lake Jocassee. When I go to Panama City, I always use Panama City Dive Center, Gomez and crew have a great operation there! If you have any other questions or would like any gear recommendations, feel free to PM me and I will try to help as much as I can.

Welcome to the world of diving!

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom