Hello from Huntsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey welcome to Diving. Gad to see another scuba family in the area. Join the SEAS club and we'll have to get you in on some of our local quarry dives and cookouts. Looing forward to diving with y'all.

AL

Sounds good about SEAS. We missed this month's meeting due to daughter's field trip. Plan to hit it next month. A guy who works here at Northrop Grumman is also a member and has mentioned it. Anxious to meet everyone.

Not sure how daughter is going to take to sealife. She met her first eel at Vortex Springs. I thought it was a snake at first. She didn't care - she was ready to get outta there regardless! But, she did better on the next dive when she saw it and wants to go back to see it, again, sometime soon and take a pic of it.

Can't wait till these quarries open up and get warm. Wanna see some more stuff they sunk around here and get more practice in before Gulf Shores in May and June.

PerlDiver:
Sounds good about SEAS. We missed this month's meeting due to daughter's field trip. Plan to hit it next month. A guy who works here at Northrop Grumman is also a member and has mentioned it. Anxious to meet everyone.

that's prob Randy. He's a SEAS member and on Scubaboard also as rharbis1 I think.

Not sure how daughter is going to take to sealife. She met her first eel at Vortex Springs. I thought it was a snake at first. She didn't care - she was ready to get outta there regardless! But, she did better on the next dive when she saw it and wants to go back to see it, again, sometime soon and take a pic of it.

There is a simple solution to this. Give her a can of Cheese Whiz and let her go feed the eels with it at vortex. She'll have a ball doing it and realize they were just wondering earlier if she brought them a snack.

Can't wait till these quarries open up and get warm. Wanna see some more stuff they sunk around here and get more practice in before Gulf Shores in May and June.

Bluewater is open every weekend. Madison Quarry should be open on limited weekends again by this summer.

Heard fish at Madison Quarry like cheese whiz for sure. Didn't know if they allowed that at Vortex until instructor said something about the eels liking hot dogs.

BlueWater is coming up soon for our AOW deep dive, then hopefully some deep certification dives w/nitrox thrown in there somewhere sometime.

Those eels are so pretty when they swim. Fun to watch them. Of course, it kept circling around my daughter's neck and her feet, so it wasn't pretty to her ... at least, not at first. I told her it just wanted a hug - telling her that didn't help much. :)

PerlDiver:
Heard fish at Madison Quarry like cheese whiz for sure. Didn't know if they allowed that at Vortex until instructor said something about the eels liking hot dogs.

BlueWater is coming up soon for our AOW deep dive, then hopefully some deep certification dives w/nitrox thrown in there somewhere sometime.

Those eels are so pretty when they swim. Fun to watch them. Of course, it kept circling around my daughter's neck and her feet, so it wasn't pretty to her ... at least, not at first. I told her it just wanted a hug - telling her that didn't help much. :)

Fish like hot dogs also... it's pure redneck fun to watch someone on the training platform holding up two hot dogs, one in each hand, and watching the fish devour them like piranah's.

Hoever, with that said, that the fact that eel's like them also, Hot Dogs have oil in them that gets all over your hands/gloves. Thus making your fingers taste like hot-dogs to them.

No big deal with fish as they might nip at them, but eels have teeth. I think you can see the difference. Therefore most of us dont feed the eels hot dogs, or don't hold them when we do it.

Do Eels like Cheese Whiz?

cheese-tshirt-big.jpg

I've heard that Cheese Whiz isn't that great on the fish's digestive system though. I don't know if anyones done a study on that though or if it's just talk.

Bring cheese whiz down at the panhandle springs and the eels get VERY friendly :)

My son is 18 and he and I dive together. We can't get the rest of the family interested, but I love to get to spend time with him doing something we both enjoy so much. Diving could get quite expensive with 4 in the family doing it. You're on the right track getting on the board and finding people that can help you with "cheaper" diving like the free springs and shore dives. Welcome aboard and watch for posts in the Deep Dixie Divers Local Travel Subforum and the North Florida Conch Travel Subforum. That is where you will find posts on upcoming diving.:)

Gotta go buy some cans of whiz. Brittany would love that - for a little while - but, she would eventually get scared and use it as a defense tool, tho.

Yep, Denise, the first couple of dives, I will spring for lunch or super. But, Shhh! You are giving away my game plan! hehehe!!

It is a great way to spend with family. Our kids were starting to outgrow some of our family outtings, so I wanted something that would grow with them and last us all a lifetime. Started with son and me pacting to do it. Then the girls decided to join in.

Am looking forward to meeting all the Hsv folks as well as gulf group et. al. Was showing wife these postings and she was impressed, too, with how cordial everyone is and how much every loves their diving hobby.

Hey PerlDiver, welcome to the Board!
You may want to check out this scuba club as well, one of the largest and most active in the world . . . (I know of an Aerospace Technician/Diver who's commuting regularly from Huntsville, to Santa Maria Calif. and out there to the Marshall Islands).
I've been trying to get a job transfer out there for years now.

Back
Top Bottom